Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monk tidbit on SI.com

SMOSS89

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/02/06/snap.judgments/1.html

"

• Does Redskins owner Daniel Snyder really think he helped Art Monk's Hall of Fame chances with his two-sentence fit of pique on Saturday, after the longtime Washington receiver again failed to garner the necessary votes for election to Canton?

Snyder issued a statement saying: "Art Monk has earned a place in the Hall of Fame. Redskins fans know it, NFL fans know it, and it is long overdue for the Hall of Fame electors to confirm it.''

Not a smart move. That won't win Monk any votes, but it might lose him a few.

Why would that alienate anyone? A fit of pique? I've seen fits of pique (Holmgren yesterday to Seattle fans) where you say something you might regret later. How is Synder's comment something he'd regret later? He didn't attack anyone, but stated something that would seem obvious to everyone but the sportwriters who vote on this stuff.

After Harry Carson made it, I don't want to hear about the need to have been dominant. Carson was a terrific MLB and deserving and all that, but he was not a dominant player -- he played NEXT TO a dominant player, but he was not.

Is Don Banks a voter? If he is he should kicked off the panel.

Aren't these pompous scumbags specifically told NOT to let off-field matters factor into the voting? Yet it's his assertion that an owner voicing his opinion could "lose" Monk votes? Dumbest thing I've ever heard from a seriously demented writer who simply revels in his own biases.

To quote South Park, "I hope you get ass cancer."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/02/06/snap.judgments/1.html

"

• Does Redskins owner Daniel Snyder really think he helped Art Monk's Hall of Fame chances with his two-sentence fit of pique on Saturday, after the longtime Washington receiver again failed to garner the necessary votes for election to Canton?

Snyder issued a statement saying: "Art Monk has earned a place in the Hall of Fame. Redskins fans know it, NFL fans know it, and it is long overdue for the Hall of Fame electors to confirm it.''

The NFL needs to take the voting out of the hands of people who make a living leeching off of the league. They aren't that important to the game and, therefore, shouldn't have such a large say as to how the greatest players in history are remembered.

Did Don Banks, Peter King, Zimmerman, et al ever play a down in the NFL???

Why would anything Snyder say have any impact either direction? Then again, it comes from SI, home to several of the worst "sports journalists" ever to pointlessly roam the earth. Jackasses like this are the reason my SI subscription has been nonexistent since I was 16. I would hope that all Redskins fans would have cancelled their subscriptions in protest by now.

This did not hurt Monk or Snyder in any way. Give me a break. Snyder is not the first, nor will he be the last owner to pull for a player to get in the HOF. He did not say anything that isn't true, and he was not harsh at all in his statement. It was very fair!

I don't receive SI. My father does and I will ask him to cancel his subscription. I also will stop visiting their website from this day forth. I used to kind of shrug at those members who encouraged me to do this. I have now seen the light.

I encourage all of you who support Art Monk and the Redskins to do the same. :helmet:

That's the most pathetic, and petty thing I've ever read. How the hell does a statement that an owner, who never had any type of dealings with Monk as a player, made affect him getting into the HoF? If that's not more of a reason to take these guys of the board of voters, then I don't know what is. Obviously, they're letting their personal biases get in the way of the individual performance.

I agree with everyone else, BOYCOTT SI!

Unless the HOF selectors are very petty, this is not a big deal. This is the first time I am actually seeing the quote. From all the hoopla, I thought he said nastier things about the selectors. What should he have said? "Art Monk is not deserving"? Please!

"

Dan Snyder just spoke the truth. Why would that hurt Art's chances? So, according to Banks. We got to be careful and not offend the writers, or they won't vote for a player because of it. That's messed up!!! The NFL Hall of Fame process needs to be overhauled.

No...the worst part about what MR...ahem King said in his article was that it was the most difficult class to vote for overall...out of the 15 candidates he could only see himself not voting for 2 of them....of course...Monk was one of the two.

This was the quote

h. Furman Bisher from Atlanta sat next to me in the meeting, and at one point said to me: "I've been in this room 26 years [actually 29, but who's counting?], and I've never seen a class this good and a vote this tough.''

i. Agreed. It's only been 14 for me, but there were more deserving candidates than I've ever had to judge. There are 13 of the 15 candidates who would have gotten my vote on a yes or no basis, all but Monk and Claude Humphrey.

Archived