Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rolling Stones need to shut it down

tizzod

Man, for a classic band to embarrass themselves like that on worldwide TV is just sad. They were absolutely horrible.

Shut it down, geezers. Time's up.

The Rolling Stones have always sucked. They didn't shut it down back in the day because they were profitable. They are still profitable, so why should they stop now?

The Rolling Stones defined rythym and blues-influenced rock and roll for decades and have churned out anthemic rock and roll for as long as many of you have been alive, so cut them some slack.

To say that they are "over rated" is ignorant beyond belief.

Yeah, aside from "Paint it Black" they really haven't done much. :rolleyes: :doh:

Satisfaction

Sympathy for the Devil

Street Fighting Man

Honky Tonk Woman

Midnight Rambler

on

and

on

for 40 years.

Get real.

The reason it was bad is because it was a Halftime show at the Super Bowl. I'm sorry, but you can not replicate the same kind of intensity you're gonna get at a (Insert Band Here) Show with a 3 song set in front of an audience that is there to watch a football game.

Dude, if you can't get your mix together and play tight at a SUPERBOWL HALFTIME SHOW, even if it is a 3 song set, then time's up. Don't try to tell me they didn't have a sound check or anything, and 500 people checking levels and EQ and all that. That's just crazy. They just didn't PLAY well.

And what difference does it make what kind of audience is there? They are getting paid a cool mill (at least!) to come out there and tear it up. They didn't. And the audience that I saw, by the way, was going apesh!t when they were playing. So I don't know what halftime show you were watching.

As I said, I don't have anything against them, no problems at all. They just sucked. I don't know what else to say.

The Rolling Stones defined rythym and blues-influenced rock and roll for decades and have churned out anthemic rock and roll for as long as many of you have been alive, so cut them some slack.

To say that they are "over rated" is ignorant beyond belief.

Yeah, aside from "Paint it Black" they really haven't done much. :rolleyes: :doh:

Satisfaction

Sympathy for the Devil

Street Fighting Man

Honky Tonk Woman

Midnight Rambler

on

and

on

for 40 years.

Get real.

It's all personal taste. They are damn good, and one of the classic bands of all time, notwithstanding what I think. You are right. I never got off on them, but millions of people do. "Paint it Black" is my favorite song of theirs. Are they overrated? I think so, but it's just me. And I am one of 5 billion people on the planet. So, take that opinion for what it's worth.

How are the Rolling Stones selling out concerts? Everyone hates them!

You are condensing 350 million people into a Redskins message board! :laugh:

I just made an observation! I thought they sucked. Some people will agree, some will disagree, and we'll go from there.

Dude, if you can't get your mix together and play tight at a SUPERBOWL HALFTIME SHOW, even if it is a 3 song set, then time's up. Don't try to tell me they didn't have a sound check or anything, and 500 people checking levels and EQ and all that. That's just crazy. They just didn't PLAY well.

And what difference does it make what kind of audience is there? They are getting paid a cool mill (at least!) to come out there and tear it up. They didn't. And the audience that I saw, by the way, was going apesh!t when they were playing. So I don't know what halftime show you were watching.

As I said, I don't have anything against them, no problems at all. They just sucked. I don't know what else to say.

Name the last great Super Bowl halftime show. Seriously, go for it.

Seeing a show on TV does not even come close to the experience of going to a show (hence the "crowd going apesh!t"), and a Super Bowl 3 song set isn't going to be nearly the same as a show of the band.

The only bar I have for Super Bowl halftime performance is "did you let Nellie, N' Sync, and Brittany Spears come out and sing you classic hits with you"? If you didn't, it was a good show.

And you said you don't have anything against them, but a few posts ago you said they were overrated and only had 1 good song. So which is it?

EDIT: If you really have a doubt about this go see if you can't find a recording of the U2 performance, which was probably the best one they've had. Then rent a U2 live DVD and compare the two. It's not even close. It's not even close to close.

Just FYI, they didn't get paid to perform.

They have to be one of the most overrated bands on earth. Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible. "Paint it Black" is the only worthwhile thing they have ever done

Get the **** outta here. I can list 10 of their blues songs that maybe a handful of bands can touch. 2 or 3 ballads that are classics ... not to mention their pop crap.

Sorry to pop your musical taste ballon, but you need to listen to more Stones.

The best live act and music making band today is the White Stripes- FROM DETROIT!!!! In past years where they put teeny bop **** on the halftime show, I think the white Stripes compimenting the Stones woulda been AWESOME.

Now, Motown remains one of my fav genres, but comeon- it's been done twice over and maybe 'needs to be shut down'. Nothing new outta there in the past 30 years.

The best live act and music making band today is the White Stripes- FROM DETROIT!!!! In past years where they put teeny bop **** on the halftime show, I think the white Stripes compimenting the Stones woulda been AWESOME.

I can agree to that; I saw them at George Mason a couple years ago - amazing show...that is a band, along with Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots, that I didn't have nearly enough respect for until I saw them live. And I definately would have preferred that they do the show over the Stones. It being in their hometown, that would have come as close to a White Stripes Show as any halftime shw could come to a band's regualr show.

Make no mistake though, it still would have fallen FAR short.

Seeing a show on TV does not even come close to the experience of going to a show (hence the "crowd going apesh!t"), and a Super Bowl 3 song set isn't going to be nearly the same as a show of the band.

The only bar I have for Super Bowl halftime performance is "did you let Nellie, N' Sync, and Brittany Spears come out and sing you classic hits with you"? If you didn't, it was a good show.

And you said you don't have anything against them, but a few posts ago you said they were overrated and only had 1 good song. So which is it?

EDIT: If you really have a doubt about this go see if you can't find a recording of the U2 performance, which was probably the best one they've had. Then rent a U2 live DVD and compare the two. It's not even close. It's not even close to close.

Whoa, I never said they only had 1 good song. I said that particular song is my favorite. Careful.

Here is what I know. They played totally, completely live. They are professional musicians. That is what they do. They have COUNTLESS people tuning their guitars, getting their levels right, and basically just putting the musicians in a place where their performance can be top notch. That is what they are paid for. The musicians came out tonight and laid a huge egg. Did you really, seriously think they were awesome? If you did, then hey. Good for you. We will have to agree to disagree.

I'm not trying to talk smack about the Stones or call them out like I have some vendetta or something. They were just terrible. Doesn't mean all their stuff in the past automatically sucks now! They just sucked tonight! Maybe last week in whatever arena they were in they kicked ass! Maybe next week in whatever arena they are going to be in they will kick ass again! Tonight...they sucked! Sorry!

Just my opinion.

Just FYI, they didn't get paid to perform.

Do you honestly believe the Stones would interrupt a tour to come to Detroit and play a Super Bowl halftime show FOR FREE? Come on, dude. You better back that up with some inside information. And if you can, I will happily concede that I am very mistaken. But ain't no way they played for nothing.

They come to a Super Bowl, make their roadies set up their gear, go through all the motions, to play three songs, FOR NOTHING? Come on, dude.

The band did fine. Mick Jagger, however, was all over the place. Anyone making comments about the band being out of tune is obviously not musically educated. Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards have been tuning their instruments for decades now. Take my word, they know how to do it flawlessly. The SB sound crew fudged it up. You may have noticed they had to augment the sound on the band when Ronnie was taking a solo because it was so muffled.

Ah! Don't talk about U2! :rolleyes:

That was depressing to watch. I am by no means a Rolling Stones fan, but I respect them. They sounded absolutely terrible, levels were off, the guitars sounded out of whack, and maybe it's just me, but the guitar solos were just painful to hear(not a Stones fan, so correct me if they are supposed to sound like that).

The band did fine. Mick Jagger, however, was all over the place. Anyone making comments about the band being out of tune is obviously not musically educated. Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards have been tuning their instruments for decades now. Take my word, they know how to do it flawlessly. The SB sound crew fudged it up. You may have noticed they had to augment the sound on the band when Ronnie was taking a solo because it was so muffled.

I'm not sure the audio on your tv was working properly. I've been playing guitar for over 30 years and I promise you, not only were both guitars badly out of tune, but a lot of the leads were out of key. A double whammy!

They were horrible.

I saw them 30 years ago. The music was alright, I was never a huge fan BTW, but they lost me when Mick rode a giant inflatable dildo on stage.

IMO, Mick has never had a great voice and has always struggeld outside of the studio. My dad was a musician before Vietnam and really dug the Stones when they came to the U.S. That was until he bought their first live album and heard Mick outside of the studio -- blech! My tastes have been formed by his and I respect the Stones, dig their music, but have always been suspect of Jagger's live singing.

As to last night, the guitars were out of tune and something appeared to be wrong with their monitors. You could see both guitarists were pissed and tried to make due under the circumstances. They were in a bad spot, left with only Mick to carry the show and he's their weakest link live. As a guitarist, I was embarrased for Richards; there's a sound tech (or two) out of work in Detroit this morning.

My standard for greatness in a band has always been their ability to sound as good or better live than in-studio. Any hack can sound great with a good producer, but can you do it live? Certain bands (King's X, Live) are known for their live shows -- nobody wants to go on after them. The Stones are a great and classic band, but were never better live than in-studio, IMO -- their age, tuning problems and bad sound didn't help last night.

Wow -- I guess this just shows how much I DON'T know about rock music or the Stones. I really enjoyed their performance. Perhaps because I've never seen them perform in their heyday and don't have that to compare it to but I had a lot of fun watching that old man move around up there.

It used to be a treat to see Stevie Wonder but now he's everywhere! And you guys are right -- enough with the guest appearances. Stevie Wonder by himself is just fine with me.

But it does not compare to Prince's performance(s) on Saturday Night Live -- I LOVE HIM.

Carry on...

Do you honestly believe the Stones would interrupt a tour to come to Detroit and play a Super Bowl halftime show FOR FREE? Come on, dude. You better back that up with some inside information. And if you can, I will happily concede that I am very mistaken. But ain't no way they played for nothing.

They come to a Super Bowl, make their roadies set up their gear, go through all the motions, to play three songs, FOR NOTHING? Come on, dude.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2006-02-02-super-bowl-entertainment_x.htm

from the article:

With the exception of travel and production expenses, the NFL has never paid appearance fees to the Stones, Paul McCartney, U2, Michael Jackson, Shania Twain, Britney Spears, Diana Ross, Gloria Estefan, Diddy, Clint Black, Tanya Tucker, Kid Rock or other halftime performers.

Why do they sing for free? For the chance to perform on the world's biggest stage. And their ability to cash in later.

:D:silly:

Some folks can't seperate the Rolling Stones the act with last nights performance.

Their performance at Super Bowl XL ...............sucked. Sucked worse than Pamela and Tommy Lee.

Their place in rock and roll history is secure,but that doesn't excuse the sloppiiness of their performance.

Guest sith lord

Grace Slick, (one of the lead singers for Jefferson Starship) said it best some years ago. "Old people don't belong on a Rock@Roll stage, they look ridiculous."

Archived