Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

monk should go BUT

bsmsss

i agree with a lot of the voters

when one thinks of a true hof player they are game changing players--they are players a defense or offense cord must game plan for always on every play

monk doesnt fit the category--he was a good player--a great team player but not dominant game changing player

the teams were more fearful of clark and the running game then monk

i think monk will get in but it will be like a swann type--10-11 tries

when one thinks of a true hof player they are game changing players--they are players a defense or offense cord must game plan for always on every play

monk doesnt fit the category--he was a good player--a great team player but not dominant game changing player

bs,get off the glue please,how did carson change a game?aikman wasnt a"gamechanger"so,i guess T.O gets in b/c he's a "gamechanger"to you?

i guess dan marino "changed" the game, funny i only remember him throwing the ball forward with his right arm. Come to think of it he also had 5 guys block for him, he had a couple of running backs who ran the ball, also had a te or two and i also think he had some wr's catch the ball for him. in fact the only difference i can see between him and oh say 300 qb's is that he was exceptionally good at it . art monk was exceptionally good at catching passes as well, that changing the game bs is a bunch of crap. you should be ashamed to call yourself a redskin fan if you think that art is a marginal hof candidate you retard.

If Monk is a marginal HOF candidate and teams were more fearful of Clark. Then shouldn't he be in the HOF then? I mean technically Clark has been eligible since 2001 I believe.Doesn't matter which way you turn it Monk belongs in the HOF and theres no way around it. By defending these jokers all you do is demean yourself.

bs,get off the glue please,how did carson change a game?aikman wasnt a"gamechanger"so,i guess T.O gets in b/c he's a "gamechanger"to you?

Aikman was a great quarterback for many years who won 3 superbowls. He's a class act and clearly deserves to go... no matter what your feelings are towards the cowboys. TO is ABSOLUTELY a game changer. He demands extra coverage and still racks up the yards and scores TD after TD. Not only that, but he brings an attitude to his game that your not going to beat him, and your not. HOF material... questionable, as he is also a team destroyer. But gamechanger he is most certainly.

Monk just isn't one of those flashy guys, nor does he have crazy stats. What he did was bring an INCREDIBLY polished, methodical, and consistent game week in and week out. He was a 3rd down sniper to boot. What he did for the this organization was tremendous. When you step back and take a league perspective, however, it does dimish somewhat.

I think he deserves to go and will be in the Hall one of these years. But I'm not scratching my head wondering why he isn't in already.

What are you saying?

I mean I can't take this seriously because of your wishy washyness. If you want to argue that you agree that art monk should go to HOF do it. I'd respect the boldness of coming to a 'Skins board and saying that. However after reading this I have no idea whether you think Monk should go or not.

P.S. - I think Russ Grimm is a bigger oversight, but I'm used to deserving O-Linemen not making it.

P.S.S. - Aikmen behind an average O-Line with an average running back=not a hall of famer.

Aikman was a great quarterback for many years who won 3 superbowls. He's a class act and clearly deserves to go... no matter what your feelings are towards the cowboys. TO is ABSOLUTELY a game changer. He demands extra coverage and still racks up the yards and scores TD after TD. Not only that, but he brings an attitude to his game that your not going to beat him, and your not. HOF material... questionable, as he is also a team destroyer. But gamechanger he is most certainly.

Monk just isn't one of those flashy guys, nor does he have crazy stats. What he did was bring an INCREDIBLY polished, methodical, and consistent game week in and week out. He was a 3rd down sniper to boot. What he did for the this organization was tremendous. When you step back and take a league perspective, however, it does dimish somewhat.

I think he deserves to go and will be in the Hall one of these years. But I'm not scratching my head wondering why he isn't in already.

aikaman also had that all-pro line protecting him,oh and dont 4get that 15 pick trade with minny that help win those 3 sb's.

Marginally good players dont set recieving records. Marginally good players dont make pro bowls. Marginally good players dont win 3 superbowls. Teams didnt change their gameplan out of fear of Monk? They didnt change it out of fear of Aikman either, in case you dont know, its alot easier to be an efficient QB when you have the career rushing leader to-be in the backfield behind you, a solid O-Line, a crackhead WR, and a defense that makes up for your mistakes. Aikman doesnt and never did hold any major records at his position. He managed games. People dont remember Monk because he wasnt controversial or a media whore, however he DID set a record, one of the biggest records a WR can set.

As I stated in another thread, I would like to be able to discuss things with those who planned and played against the Redskins and Monk during those years. As such, I find myself challenging you to substantiate your points or implications that teams did not gameplan against Monk or how teams were more fearful of Clark and the running game. Among other things.

The are NO "buts" for discussing Monk's HOF qualifications. As has been discussed before, no other player retired with the trifecta of 1) most catches in a single season 2) most career receptions 3) most consecutive games catching a pass.

Today's receivers have it easier. Take a look at the highlights of Super Bowl XVIII and watch how Monk was mugged on almost EVERY play. By today's rules, Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes would have been called for over 20 holding or illegal contact penalties.

When you add a "but" when discussing Monk's HOF worthiness, you are only showing yours.

There is no "but" about it. You either get in or you don't. Monk held the receptions record and was a true go-to player.

Whomever your team is and it sure isn't the Redskins, thank God,

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn Swann 383 receptions, 6369 receiving yards, TD's 60, played with one QB. - In the HOF

John Stallworth 537 receptions, 8723 receiving yards, 63 TD's, played with one QB. - In the HOF

Art Monk 940 receptions (more than Swann and Stallworth combined), 12,721 receiving yards, TD's 68, 5 times exceeded 1000 yards, 183 consecutive games with a reception (broke NFL record, currently #2), played with 4 different QB's. - not in the HOF?

aikaman also had that all-pro line protecting him,oh and dont 4get that 15 pick trade with minny that help win those 3 sb's.

You can only play on the team that you are on. If you argue that way, they you would need to take into account that Monk had Riggins, Clark, Theisman, the Hogs pass protecting, etc...

You can only play on the team that you are on. If you argue that way, they you would need to take into account that Monk had Riggins, Clark, Theisman, the Hogs pass protecting, etc...
LOL mike,u must be a cowpoke fan.and we didnt need 15 drafts picks for 1 player either.

This is amusing. For all of you that never had the pleasure of using AOL (said in a scathingly sarcastic tone) bsmss is well known as one of the prime agitators and trolls. It is probably the single biggest element in so many leaving AO_Helpless's boards and coming to ES, etc. You're gonna want a special avatar, mark my words.

The are NO "buts" for discussing Monk's HOF qualifications. As has been discussed before, no other player retired with the trifecta of 1) most catches in a single season 2) most career receptions 3) most consecutive games catching a pass.

Today's receivers have it easier. Take a look at the highlights of Super Bowl XVIII and watch how Monk was mugged on almost EVERY play. By today's rules, Mike Haynes and Lester Hayes would have been called for over 20 holding or illegal contact penalties.

When you add a "but" when discussing Monk's HOF worthiness, you are only showing yours.

Very well said,no buts

Any body who makes the statement that Monk is not in the Hall because he was not "FLASHY" come on! That is what is wrong with the game today! Monk did it old school! Punch in go to work,and help your "TEAM" win games. That is what a Hall of Famer should be about! MONK should be In!!! That is it.

Bingo. He may have been the single most consistent receiver ever. Showed up for EVERY game, and played hard. Just played quiet, and I guess since he was never arrested or made an ass out of himself in any other way, flying under the radar must count against you in voting.

Whatever. The Hall of Fame, well, I guess the voting committee, is fast losing all credibility.

This is amusing. For all of you that never had the pleasure of using AOL (said in a scathingly sarcastic tone) bsmss is well known as one of the prime agitators and trolls. It is probably the single biggest element in so many leaving AO_Helpless's boards and coming to ES, etc. You're gonna want a special avatar, mark my words.

it's like an "adult" who still messes in their pants only because they like the way it feels and smells to them, and they like how it bothers others. they think that's fun. imagine that special little world :laugh:

Archived