Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Dan Deep Six Martz to Lions?

HailVictory

Apparently Martz wanted $2M, like Saunders and Williams received, but the Lions wouldn't budge past $1M. This is why executives were so steamed when Dan set a new bar for elite coordinator salaries.

Lions | Martz will not take job

Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:11:06 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports former NFL coach Mike Martz will not take the job as the Detroit Lions' offensive coordinator. "We couldn't come to an agreement on terms," said Martz, who reportedly accepted the job. "I really do feel bad... but we just couldn't get on the same page." Martz said he plans to return to his hometown of San Diego and will sit out the 2006 football season.

Guest GibbSkins11
Apparently Martz wanted $2M, like Saunders and Williams received, but the Lions wouldn't budge past $1M. This is why executives were so steamed when Dan set a new bar for elite coordinator salaries.

Lions | Martz will not take job

Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:11:06 -0800

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports former NFL coach Mike Martz will not take the job as the Detroit Lions' offensive coordinator. "We couldn't come to an agreement on terms," said Martz, who reportedly accepted the job. "I really do feel bad... but we just couldn't get on the same page." Martz said he plans to return to his hometown of San Diego and will sit out the 2006 football season.

on espnews it said 1.5 mil a year 3 year deal and lions would only give him 1 mil a year , martz could do for their passing game what he did for the rams,but the lions are cheap,and martz was the top guy on the market besides al saunders ,so the lions are cheap and dont want to win:lionsuck:

Maybe the Ford family should worry about the 30,000 workers their going to screw, instead of whether or not they will budge from a million dollars.

Dan Snyder did what he thought was best for his team. If other owners don't like it, then that's their business. I love the fact owners get so mad at Danny, the NFL is a rich mans game and Danny has took the old folks to school.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Tough ****. If Martz wants more money than the Lions are willing to pay, then he won't get hired by the Lions. :whoknows:

You gotta compete in a quasi-free market. So either be willing to shell out more money, or whine for an even more communist approach to league finances. I presume a lot of tightwad owners will cry for the latter over their whine and cheese buffet.

Must weigh in on this.....

There is a reason the lions are forever THE cellar dwellers...

(see above)

for crying out loud, you if there is anyone who can get a dime's worth of production out of the wideouts currrently on the roster its Martz.

And for 500 grand...chicken poop just having an offense that will entertain and put points on the board will put arses in the seats...ahem...counter-balancing the "price" difference.

like I said.. there is a reason .....

Danny, thank you for not being a Ford.

I think it's a great move by Dan -- this is one of the first ripple effects we're seeing. The franchise has loads of cash, let's leverage it to put other teams at a disadvantage.

I think the Fords were trying to play hardball. Give them another day to think about it and they'll probably come crawling back with their tail between their legs. The question is will Martz really stick to his word and sit out an entire season?

Tough ****. If Martz wants more money than the Lions are willing to pay, then he won't get hired by the Lions. :whoknows:

You gotta compete in a quasi-free market. So either be willing to shell out more money, or whine for an even more communist approach to league finances. I presume a lot of tightwad owners will cry for the latter over their whine and cheese buffet.

I find this a little ironic because, if you think about it the american auto industry does the same thing the lions (and the whiny small market teams) do. Detroit has been turning out crap cars that are not on the same level as their foreign competition because they try to shortcut, be cheap and generally screw customers in a way Japanese autmakers don't. Then they go and cry to the government for help bailing them out instead of trying to improve the product so they can compete. Hmmm....sound familiar? These stupid teams don't want to spend money on coaches, signing bonuses and everything else so they put crap on the field every year and then whine to the league that it's not fair. We can't make as much money as Washington and NE. Maybe, if you took some chances and ran your business right your team would make more money. Instead they want to try and steal the money that Synder has earned THROUGH GOOD BUSINESS DECISIONS AND MARKETING. F'ing cry babies. I guess, it's really no surprise that the Ford family wouldn't cough up $500,000 to get Martz, who, undoubtedly, would dramatically improve their team. Like 500,000 is a big deal to an NFL team or one of the world's largest corporations. It's no wonder they suck every year and will continue to for some time. Thank God for Daniel Synder.

Is it possible a group of NFL owners will cry to the Commish about Danny Boy's spending so much for quality coaches??? Would it lead to some sort of cap for coaches??? Or perhaps a luxury tax price on coaches like the MLB??

I hope a coaches cap doesn't happen. Who is to say that just because Saunders and Williams are paid like top notch head coaches that we are Super Bowl bound?? This experiment could fail miserably. Of course should we go and win SB 41 then more owners would be inclined to shell out more cash.

Martz, IMO, is worth the money. He could take the Lions and make their offense a top ten group overnight. The Lions ownership is foolish for not giving him what he wants.

The fact that Matt Millen still has a job is UNBELIEVABLE. You guys all think Bang is making fun of Matt in his cartoons, but he is not. I think they can't fire him for fear of violating some mentally handicapped hiring rules or something.

As Dr. D pointed out...the Lions have a ton of talent at receiver that is GOING TO WASTE. Christ...we had a good offensive year and Snyder went out of his way to make us better. The Lions were in the bottom 5 in offense, and are unwilling to pay Martz to improve them??

The Lions are terrible, and will always be terrible with this kind of management. Thank GOD for the Danny. :)

Is it possible a group of NFL owners will cry to the Commish about Danny Boy's spending so much for quality coaches??? Would it lead to some sort of cap for coaches??? Or perhaps a luxury tax price on coaches like the MLB??

I hope a coaches cap doesn't happen. Who is to say that just because Saunders and Williams are paid like top notch head coaches that we are Super Bowl bound?? This experiment could fail miserably. Of course should we go and win SB 41 then more owners would be inclined to shell out more cash.

Martz, IMO, is worth the money. He could take the Lions and make their offense a top ten group overnight. The Lions ownership is foolish for not giving him what he wants.

they are free to spend the money too.

Does the head coach of East Carolina make as much as Charlie Weis at Notre Dame?

Archived