Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Betts or Rock?..Nemo?

Jofizz

how good is nemo... i never seen nemo play.. why is gibbs choosing nemo over rock or betts?? i dont understand.. someone explain

Nemo showed a lot of potential in camp and in the pre-season. I couldn't really tell you how good he really is, but i think he can be a quality back. I think gibbs likes nemo because he is more of a smash mouth runner like likes to stick it to t he D. That's why he drafted him. He also carries a much smaller salary than the other two backs.

Without Rock the 2005 Redskins would have likely won the division and been the 2nd seed in the playoffs. If you want him as a cheerleader, let him run around the stadium with the giant Skins flag after every touchdown. Betts is an NFL caliber running back, Rock is a ST player at best.

you cant put that on him, there is no way in hell u can put that on him..so he made one mistake, if ur gonna put it on hit u also have to put it on the defensive field goal unit for going off sides in tampa an alot of other people.

Perhaps we should get rid of Portis. Didn't he have two fumbles in one game?

Then again, if the wind hadn't been blowing harder than slightly pushing my hair to the left, we would've lost to Seattle early in the season. Why not trade God?

Depends on what he could get for Him. :laugh: Really I'd like to keep them both. If Portis goes down we're going to need them both if Nemo isn't ready yet. Rock is too valuable to our special teams to let him walk, and Betts is too good of a backup. If we get a good offer I wouldn't be too upset if Ladell left because I'd love to see him in a starting role. However if we can't yield at least a fourth rounder which I think could be pushing it, I feel we should hold onto the kid.

Unload Betts without a question. He is injury prone. Lets not forget that rock playing at 215 is Rock playing at 30 lbs lighter than he was 2 seasons ago. With nemo coming up he can be the hefty counter punch for CP or Rock could easily bulk back up. Rock is the better ST performer regardless of Betts ability to run kickoffs into the backs of his blockers. If LB could spend an entire season healthy it would make sense for him to be the guy but he can't so we should stick with Rock.

Also those of you who constatly bring up the fumble in the KC game. It was a costly fumble, true, but Rock does not have a tendency to put the ball on the ground having put the ball on the ground 4 times in 4 years. Betts has lost 5.

Stick with somebody you can count on to play each week.

no no no...all wrong.........

we have Clinton Portis..not big but fast, main back

we have Betts ... bigger than portis, fast enough, good counter back

we have Rock ... small, not that fast, hasnt touched the ball but about 15x at the most with 1 fumble(that lost us the game)

and we have Nemo ... young, cheap, BIG, has great potential, and BIG....

now why would Gibbs keep rock? if he didnt use him in the regular season (whenever betts was healthy) why would Gibbs use him next season?....trust me.....hes gone....

you cant put that on him, there is no way in hell u can put that on him..so he made one mistake, if ur gonna put it on hit u also have to put it on the defensive field goal unit for going off sides in tampa an alot of other people.

When a marginal player makes a mistakes that resuls in a loss, and does not contribte to a point in any other game where the team would not have won without the player's contribution, then you can put the loss on him. He should have been cut that game and not allowed to fly back with the team.

When a marginal player makes a mistakes that resuls in a loss, and does not contribte to a point in any other game where the team would not have won without the player's contribution, then you can put the loss on him. He should have been cut that game and not allowed to fly back with the team.

What the hell are you talking about. You can never blame a loss on one person. Football is a team sport.

Well, I guess Gibbs thinks more of him than you do.

And, since Gibbs named him special teams player and captain several games.......I guess it was ok for him to fly back with the team.

:rolleye:

Blondie

I understand this may come accross as kind of John Wayne-ish. But then again, I think John Wayne-ish is what I'm looking for, here.

You wouldn't mind explaining those "marginal player" and "does not contribute" comments, would you, pardner?

(Preferably with something more substantive than a simply opinion like "he's too short/ light/ slow/ left-handed/ jewish". In short (not that there's anything wrong with that), something that doesn't need an "IMO" in front of it. (Like your previous post does.))

I believe, for example, I've already mentioned:

For career stats, on 4th-and-short, Rock is 5 for 5

On 3rd-and-short, he's 14 of 16.

Now, that's not a huge sample. I don't think he's earned for Bettis' jersey,, for example. But it's the only sample that exists. And it's in real games, against real NFL defenses, so I think it's worth a bit more than a simple, unsupported, statement of (aparantly uninformed) opinion.

(In short, (not that there's anything wrong with that), I would say that my blanket declaration of "He's a proven, successfull, NFL short-yardage back" has a lot more facts behind it that your blanket declaration of "marginal player".)

Just checking some other stats, to make a comparason between Betts and Rock.

Career Stats, Betts/Rock
Carries     321/129
Yds/carry   4.0/4.5
Longest      27/52
First Downs  64/48
TD            5/ 6

Receiving
Catches   52/31
Avg      9.8/10.3
First D   21/11
TD         1/1

Fumbles 5/4
Lost    0/0 (Huh?  But that's what nfl.com says.)  
Own Rec 0/1

Now one thing I notice, here, is that Betts has nearly three times the carries of Rock, but only a third more first downs, and one less TD. (Rock's longest is almost twice as long, too, but I'm not going to try to claim that he's a deep rushing threat with a straight face. His longest play was busting through a stacked line in a short-yardage situation, into open field, and getting caught from behind by, I think, a LB. It was a fluke play. OTOH, Betts, with three times as many attempts, hasn't been so "lucky".)

I'll certainly agree that Rock's one more fumble, on one-third the "touches", is something that shouldn't be ignored.

(But I'll also claim that, while the fumbles may be his fault, the "it got run back for a touchdown" absolutely is not.)

no no no...all wrong.........

we have Clinton Portis..not big but fast, main back

we have Betts ... bigger than portis, fast enough, good counter back

we have Rock ... small, not that fast, hasnt touched the ball but about 15x at the most with 1 fumble(that lost us the game)

and we have Nemo ... young, cheap, BIG, has great potential, and BIG....

now why would Gibbs keep rock? if he didnt use him in the regular season (whenever betts was healthy) why would Gibbs use him next season?....trust me.....hes gone....

Because depth at RB is vital. Look at Pitt, they have Willie Parker, Duce Staley, and Jerome Bettis. All three are good backs. Denver has Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, and Ron Dayne. Carolina probably lost the NFC championship because they didn't have a healthy back, but even they have some depth with Stephen Davis, DeShaun Foster, and Nick Goings. Running backs take a beating and it's crucial to the success of the team to have another guy you can plug in without too much dropoff. Rock didn't play alot this season but look when he did. Against St. Louis he filled in for Betts and rushed for over 100 yards while combing with Portis for over 250.

Gibbs might not use him a whole lot on offense but thats because he has Clinton and Ladell infront of him who are both great backs. Remember though Cartwright did have a huge leaping extension of a catch on third down (Oakland?). However Rock is used primarily on Special Teams where he is a leader and a player. Rock does everything asked of him and he does it well, to lose him would be terrible. Nemo may be able to take over Rock's role but we aren't sure if he's ready yet. He was drafted as a project and the coaches love him but we really haven't seen him in any extended action yet.

Now one thing I notice, here, is that Betts has nearly three times the carries of Rock, but only a third more first downs, and one less TD.

I think Rock got more touches down at the goal line when Spurrier was in town, though, no? Seems like Spurrier liked to use him in that role, anyway.

I'd keep all 4 going into camp. Let 'em battle it out. Maybe someone comes along and offers up a pick for Betts or Rock. Maybe we keep 4 again. Maybe we decide to cut the "loser" of the position battle. Not like any of the 3 would be a major cap hit to deal with.

I think Rock got more touches down at the goal line when Spurrier was in town, though, no? Seems like Spurrier liked to use him in that role, anyway.

I'd keep all 4 going into camp. Let 'em battle it out. Maybe someone comes along and offers up a pick for Betts or Rock. Maybe we keep 4 again. Maybe we decide to cut the "loser" of the position battle. Not like any of the 3 would be a major cap hit to deal with.

Gibbs can only have ALL 4 going into camp IF they sign a contract with Rock.

Blondie

ledell need to be playing. If he had 25 carries a game he would be unstopable. somewhere in there he have a couple of big runs. As much as I love him in burgundy & gold, lets let him fly. he deserves a big time shot. Arizona, Baltimore? This would get Broughton closer behind Portis to someday take over. I must admit it's nice to have problems with too many good players in one spot huh.

Having Saunders as out O-coordinator makes Betts a definate keeper. He did alright with Johnson and Holmes, I bet he can do some wonders with Portis and Betts. I think it will be a great combination. I'd like to see Betts with some more carries, maybe even improve his pass blocking so Portis isn't so banged up late in the season. Portis is going to sell out on every play, which means that he's going to get banged up...he's one of the great blocking running backs in the game today, which is a reason why his shoulders were so damn sore by the time we played the Seahawks. I'm salivating right now thinking about the one-two punch of Betts and Portis with Saunders calling the plays. I say give Portis about 20 carries, Betts about 10 or so...and we rush for about 200 yards a game. I'll take that any day.

Archived