Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nemo Broughton?

Doodie987

whats the deal?.... anyone know anything...i remember he had a good rookie pre season....but he only had like 3 carries or so all year?...anyone know anything?

lmk :dallasuck :cheers:

What kind of information you expecting in late January?

He's under contract and he hasn't been incarcerated.

What kind of information you expecting in late January?

I think what Doodie987 was referring to was that we all heard that the coaching staff was very high on him after preseason (pleased enough to keep him on the regular roster as a 4th RB). He then spent an entire regular season practicing with the ball club, but we (or I at least) haven't heard much about him since preseason. Since he has had a full season to update the coaching staff's impressions of him, it is not unbelievable that someone at some point has a quote from one of the coaches about Nemo's development since preseason. It would be interesting to know if they are still high on him... especially with some posters throwing around the idea of trading Betts (an idea which I, personally, am against).

I think what Doodie987 was referring to was that we all heard that the coaching staff was very high on him after preseason (pleased enough to keep him on the regular roster as a 4th RB). He then spent an entire regular season practicing with the ball club, but we (or I at least) haven't heard much about him since preseason. Since he has had a full season to update the coaching staff's impressions of him, it is not unbelievable that someone at some point has a quote from one of the coaches about Nemo's development since preseason. It would be interesting to know if they are still high on him... especially with some posters throwing around the idea of trading Betts (an idea which I, personally, am against).

Were not fully into the offseason yet. Players like Nemo (late round draft pick, non-factor in regular season) are not on the media's radar till later, especially around roster crunch time. Usually the only time you hear anything about a particular player from coaches is when reporters ask about them. Unfortunately, most reporters are not as detail oriented as we fan are, so it may be while till they think about him again.

As far as Betts is concerned, I would not be opposed to trading him, but you need to get fair value to do so. Effectively, he's a good reliable backup for us, but those are not really all that difficult to come across in the NFL. The thing is, he could be seen as a good reliable back by another team, so his value is greater to them than it is to us. In that case, you make the trade, especially with Rock and Nemo waiting in the wings.

Byner was ready to push Betts and Rock out the door it seemed. Nemo seemed like his favorite player of all time or something.

He didn't play last year because the coaching staff views him as a developmental player who they want to bring along slowly, much like Campbell. So Rock got carries instead just like Ramsey got snaps in front of Campbell.

But I don't expect him to get a ton of carries this season either because Betts has one year left on his deal. I also think they will surely resign Rock. So I can see them carrying 4 RBs again this year.

I think Betts will depart after next season though, which will open the door for Nemo.

Since he has had a full season to update the coaching staff's impressions of him, it is not unbelievable that someone at some point has a quote from one of the coaches about Nemo's development since preseason. It would be interesting to know if they are still high on him...

Jan. 5: Earnest Byner

From Monkart

Hi Earnest,

Thanks for taking questions, Do you think our depth at running back will remain the same next year or is there a chance we lose Ladell or Rock?

Earnest Byner

Ladell’s under contract, so he’s kind of an indentured servant right now, he’s still on his rookie contract – he has one more year, so we’ve kind of got him. But Rock will be a free agent, and with the things that he’s done on the field in the backfield, and also on special teams, there is the likelihood that someone could see him and like him, unless we decide to try and lay down some things for him on the management side. But we could lose Rock. We have another guy that’s backing up all of them, Nemo, that’s really grown a lot this year as well. We haven’t had the chance to see him on the field, but he’s going to be a guy that you’ll find, God-willing with health, that will be able to contribute to the success of the organization as well. But, I feel good about the guys that we have. The possibility is we’re probably going to lose Ladell after this year, and we stand to lose Rock this year because of their production.

Follow-up from Extremeskins Staff

At one point you said about Nemo, when he ran you could feel the ground move - does it still move?

Earnest Byner

Oh absolutely. Yes sir, he’s got some hooves on him, I’ll put it that way. Feels like a horse running by you. He’s strong, he’s learning some running techniques, he works on these running techniques that I’ve been teaching him as the year progresses. He’s one of the guys that really really works. He’s going to be hell to deal with, I’m telling you. Whenever he gets on the field, it’s going to be something that we’ll love to see.

curious to see what happens - as big and strong as nemo is, all scouting reports say he has average speed and zero lateral ability to be elusive, and is not an nfl tb - did he do something in preseason last year to prove all (ie gil brandt) wrong? did he do something at citadel to show he can make the first guy miss? I really hope the reports are wrong - cause, if not, the ceiling seems to be one involving short yardage and special teams, which is not saundersesque? big and strong and 'run over' types, without more, appear to have limited rb value in the nfl these days

It was my impression at the end of pre-season that Nemo was better than Rock, talent and potential wise, and maybe even better than Ladell but being a rook and the other two being proven on teams and the coach being Gibbs, he went with experience.

Next year will likely be one of those tough calls we all hate as a guy who's been there for awhile and you gotta love, Rock, loses a job to the 'kid'.

It's a numbers game and it's unforgiving and unsentimental. Nemo is bigger, faster and stronger than Rock.

nemo is bigger and stronger, but not faster, than rock - rock is a tenth of a second faster, maybe 2, versus nemo

and rock's lateral movement is much better

thus, the key is this - what does nemo do? what did he do in preseason last year? if he cannot make people miss, then he is not competing against rock for a tb spot as i see things

I'm not sure if you guys watched the preseason games but Nemo looks like he has alot of potential. The guy has decent hands out of the backfield, and is surprisingly quick for his size. He doesn't have the feet of Jerome Bettis, but he is a little quicker and faster overall (he is alot younger afterall). Nemo can plow over people or elude people which is impressive for his size. The only thing that got me a little concerned was that he did have 1 of 2 fumbles in preseason if I remember correctly. This may not reflect whether he actually has a tendency to fumble, but just something to look out for. If he can learn to hold onto the ball I think he has a ton of potential and could be an excellent backup to clinton portis.

The other great thing about Nemo is that he's a disciplined and mature person. People sometimes don't factor in that a person with a good head on their shoulders really is important. Work ethic and a person's mentality can make a good player into a great player.

It was my impression at the end of pre-season that Nemo was better than Rock, talent and potential wise, and maybe even better than Ladell but being a rook and the other two being proven on teams and the coach being Gibbs, he went with experience.

Actually, it was early on that Nemo looked better than Rock. Rock stepped it up by the end of the preseason. Early on, it was looking like Rock was playing his way off the team.

Jason

I love rock.

But..

Nemo will be a nice replacement.

3 reasons: Good special teams coverage, solid RB size + speed to be a decent backup for Portis and of course price.

Preseason told us a lot. One of the biggest stories was the signing of Nemo. The Gibbs was giving him praise for being a solid RB out of the Citadel. Preseason he took a few carries and showed flashes of good speed for his size (230-245? I forgot the number). If I rmember correctly he was averaging 4+ yards a touch. He DID lose a key fumble, luckily it was only preseason.

On special teams Nemo was, in fact, special. He showed EXTREMELY good coverage on punts. I was pretty surprised to see him in guys faces before the ball even landed numerous times.

W/ him being in the NFL for only 2 years and a 222nd pick overall (7th round) the price tag will loosen up the cap for us and we'll still have a quality player.

I'm happy for Rock. But we got a Rock Jr. on our hands, possibly a better short yarder [than portis]. He's got potential.

thx mike

you saw him being elusive/making people miss - thus, the reports to the contrary must be short sighted

i didn't see him play preseason, but saw a fumble on one highlight - so am not in a position to provide an opinion - the reports definately say he is limited though, bc of no lateral movement (relative to average nfl backs) - if they are wrong, that is super

whats the deal?.... anyone know anything...i remember he had a good rookie pre season....but he only had like 3 carries or so all year?...anyone know anything?

lmk :dallasuck :cheers:

I dont know much of anything, but i've moved him to #1 FB in Madden.... Hes fast and can move in tight spaces..... even broke a long run last we in a league game......

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I dont know much of anything, but i've moved him to #1 FB in Madden.... Hes fast and can move in tight spaces..... even broke a long run last we in a league game......

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

what system are u playing madden on? i just checked the pc version and he's not on the roster.

I DID find trung canidate in the FA, wow 97 speed and 97 accel!

Good lord almighty.

The "Rock is gone" threads have already begun.

And it isn't even February yet.

Let it be known.

IF Rock leaves, it will not be because Nemo is already in front of him. IF THAT WERE THE CASE, Nemo would have run the ball when Ladell was out and CP was hurting.

Every off season, those "who know Rock will be cut" come out and say every running back being looked upon is better than Rock and Rock won't make it through the cuts.

And every year, here he is.

I told y'all when Rock was drafted he would be here for awhile.

He wants to be here. He loves the Skins. He loves Coach Gibbs.

Believe the blonde.

Blondie

Good lord almighty.

The "Rock is gone" threads have already begun.

And it isn't even February yet.

Let it be known.

IF Rock leaves, it will not be because Nemo is already in front of him. IF THAT WERE THE CASE, Nemo would have run the ball when Ladell was out and CP was hurting.

Every off season, those "who know Rock will be cut" come out and say every running back being looked upon is better than Rock and Rock won't make it through the cuts.

And every year, here he is.

I told y'all when Rock was drafted he would be here for awhile.

He wants to be here. He loves the Skins. He loves Coach Gibbs.

Believe the blonde.

Blondie

Somewhat of a Homer position no? Its going to depend on what Rock gets in the open market. I'm sure the team, given Nemo is competent, has a number they're willing to give Rock. They like him so it wouldn't be mouse nuts. If Rock fetches alot more elsewhere it'll be up to him - stay for less or go get his elsewhere.

Given he's not a starter making starter money he's going to need to make a business decision.

Blondie, I hope he stays but he better do the right thing for his family and look beyond the loyalty. If he were making $23M here versus $24M elsewhere (like a certain SOB linebacker whom I don't wish well) thats different. You're family is fine on $23M. But $700K versus $1.5M - alot different.

Hope we keep him but life is life.

HTTR

Somewhat of a Homer position no? Its going to depend on what Rock gets in the open market. I'm sure the team, given Nemo is competent, has a number they're willing to give Rock. They like him so it wouldn't be mouse nuts. If Rock fetches alot more elsewhere it'll be up to him - stay for less or go get his elsewhere.

Given he's not a starter making starter money he's going to need to make a business decision.

Blondie, I hope he stays but he better do the right thing for his family and look beyond the loyalty. If he were making $23M here versus $24M elsewhere (like a certain SOB linebacker whom I don't wish well) thats different. You're family is fine on $23M. But $700K versus $1.5M - alot different.

Hope we keep him but life is life.

HTTR

I guess you could call me a homer........when it comes to Rock. It has been that way for the past 10 years. He will do what is best for himself and his family. Hopefully, this will all work out for the best for all concerned.

Blondie

I guess you could call me a homer........when it comes to Rock. It has been that way for the past 10 years. He will do what is best for himself and his family. Hopefully, this will all work out for the best for all concerned.

Blondie

Here's a thought - DAL needs a reliable RB... He gets big $$, does he go?

Archived