Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lenny P: Tipsheet- Redskin mentions 1-27-06

bubba9497

Full Article

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2308282

• Think the handwriting is on the wall for Washington Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey, the former first-round choice who started the 2005 season opener, and then was benched by coach Joe Gibbs after just two quarters? When the Redskins hired Kansas City offensive coordinator Al Saunders as assistant head coach and offensive major domo last week, the team called quarterbacks Mark Brunell and Jason Campbell to inform them of the move. No call, though, to Ramsey. And when Saunders addressed the quarterback situation in his first press briefing, he made no mention of Ramsey, either. Washington will seek to deal Ramsey and, if that fails, will almost certainly release him.

Arguably the best pass rusher among the pending unrestricted free agents, John Abraham of the New York Jets, almost certainly will be tagged a franchise player for the second spring in a row. It's not that the Jets want to keep Abraham, who had 10½ sacks in 2005, and there is some question as to how he would fit in the 3-4 scheme first-year head coach Eric Mangini will probably feature. Nah, the Jets have had enough of Abraham and will use the marker just to retain his rights so they can trade him.

• Given that head coach Jim Mora used the term "huge" to describe the addition of Bill Musgrave to his staff this week, the Atlanta Falcons clearly feel their new quarterbacks coach is the right man to get Michael Vick, who regressed notably in 2005, back on track. And that might be the case, since Musgrave has a solid résumé, and plenty of exposure both as a player in the NFL and a coach to big-time quarterbacks. It was Musgrave who helped to nudge the Joe Gibbs-designed passing game in Washington into the new millennium in 2005 by enhancing its vertical dimension. Musgrave is a noted stickler for mechanics and, as ESPN.com noted last July at summer training camp, Vick's mechanics, starting with his basic footwork, sorely need to improve.

But there are a few blemishes, as well, on Musgrave's résumé, and they've so far been overlooked in his new environs. Musgrave resigned as the Carolina Panthers' offensive coordinator only four games into the 2000 season, leaving head coach George Seifert high and dry. After the 2004 season, Musgrave was fired by the Jacksonville Jaguars because coach Jack Del Rio didn't particularly like his design, and the players didn't warm to him, either. And it should be noted that, despite his fine work in 2005, the Redskins allowed him to depart the staff for a lateral coaching position, perhaps because the addition of former Kansas City offensive coordinator Al Saunders gives Washington an offensive staff top-heavy with titles and the potential for a lot of stepped-on toes.

Musgrave may well be the guy who transforms Vick from a strong-armed thrower into an accurate passer. If he does, Mora's description of his hiring as "huge" will definitely be justified.

I do not know why Pastabelly feels Ramsey would be released if we couldn't find a trade partner. That would be ridiculous. He would be kept if we could't find a trade partner -- I believe he would be 1.7 million on the cap - which isn't much for a QB.

I do not know why Pastabelly feels Ramsey would be released if we couldn't find a trade partner. That would be ridiculous. He would be kept if we could't find a trade partner -- I believe he would be 1.7 million on the cap - which isn't much for a QB.

It is for a qb that you don't want on the team.

I was wondering if Saundes aboard that there might be hope for Ramsey, but if this is correct then he is gone.

because Lenny's trying to gum up trade value, he did the same for Gardner.

dumbest thing I've read.

If they can't find a trade partner, they'll release him.

Why? If you aren't going to get anything in return. Then you keep him until his deal is up.

Exactly. But then I'm not surprised - the next time I see Lenny make anything other than a vague, conclusory mention of the salary cap in his articles (e.g. "they're in cap trouble") will be the first time. It's no wonder he's missing these alternative angles.

I like how he tried to create some imaginary discontent among out coaching staff. How could you possibly suggest egos bumping heads in the coaching staff when they only added one more coach. Who, by the way, has never been a HC and since he definitely had a great chance to be one in Oakland STILL choose to be OC in Washington. Furthermore, he's just started and it's the off-season. If there was ever going to be any problems among the coaches it would happen when they would actually need to work together, not now, when nobody in the organization is doing much of anything but press conferences and signing camp fodder.

dumbest thing I've read.

Why? If you aren't going to get anything in return. Then you keep him until his deal is up.

Because that is Gibbs. Gibbs is too much of a good man to stand in Ramseys path. Ramsey can be a good starter somewhere else and he knows it.

Most people, including you it seems, would keep Ramsey buried on the bench therefore eliminating a chance to take a starting job elsewhere.

You dont have to agree with Gibbs, but you have to respect him. Besides, most people who dont agree with Gibbs, usually wind up eating a lot of crow. Thats a fact.

Edit : to add that this is a moot point anyway. You know we will get something for Ramsey. Its inevitable.

I like how he tried to create some imaginary discontent among out coaching staff. How could you possibly suggest egos bumping heads in the coaching staff when they only added one more coach. Who, by the way, has never been a HC and since he definitely had a great chance to be one in Oakland STILL choose to be OC in Washington. Furthermore, he's just started and it's the off-season. If there was ever going to be any problems among the coaches it would happen when they would actually need to work together, not now, when nobody in the organization is doing much of anything but press conferences and signing camp fodder.

I thought Saunders had a short HC stint.

Don't worry about the overrated Abraham being a Redskin. He doesn't fit with what the Redskins like to have their DEs do within the scheme. Getting Abraham would be like having a Lavar on the defensive line and we all know the troubles Lavar had just getting onto the field.

So in short, if Abraham can't play LB in a 3-4 scheme, he won't be able to play LB here in D.C.

dumbest thing I've read.

This is obviously a fatal flaw in your character, Bufford. This is Lenny P. we're talking about. You're just the type of person that would bring an M16 to a pencil fight..... :laugh:

J/k. You're right!

:doh:

Abraham & a third rounder for Ramsey

a starting QB > starting DE

Each player is different, you cant say that for every starting QB is > then a starting DE

I know that I would take Dwight Freeney over Kyle Boller, JP Loseman (or whoever is starting for the Bills that week, AJ Feeley, Warner, Harrington, Dilfer, Collins, you get my drift.

Ramsey doesnt have a lot of trade value and other teams know that. so in this situation I wouldnt say a Starting QB is more valuable then a starting DE.

:doh:

Abraham & a third rounder for Ramsey

a starting QB > starting DE

Are you serious? Look at Abrahams career stats and PB berths compared to Ramsey.

Hey, Mike McMahon is a starting QB as much as Ramsey is. I hope the Eagles get Abraham and a 3rd for him!

You are on a roll today.

Archived