Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arena Football in DC?

danbee

Dan Synder own's the rights to the Washington Warriors and the 70th Anniversary "throwback" uniforms were actually designed for the Washington Warriors.

An Article from the Washington times states the following:

"There also is the unresolved state of the Washington AFL franchise to be owned by Dan Snyder. When Snyder announced his Arena Football intentions in 1999, the goal was to start playing by 2003. That did not happen, and where a local AFL team would play remains a riddle. The two local arenas most obvious for an AFL team — MCI Center and Comcast Center — both appear, at least for now, unworkable due to scheduling, monetary or operational issues, not to mention a less than optimal working relationship between Snyder and Abe Pollin.

Snyder also has considered on several occasions building his own arena to house his AFL team, dubbed the Warriors in 1999. But neither the economics nor the available real estate has made that a reality.

AFL, meanwhile, continues to look at other expansion markets as the economy rebounds. Cities on the latest list include Boston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Miami and Minneapolis.

"Washington is obviously a place where we need to be," Baker said. "It's a top-10 market [in population], and it's a terrific football city. The issue still out there is which building is the right one for us. It's not an easy situation. We've been working a lot with [snyder partner] Fred Drasner on this effort. There will be a Washington team in either 2005 or 2006. We just don't know which one yet.""

My Question is would you support an AFL team in DC?

I live in Southern California and my wife and I love the L.A. Avengers. It's not the NFL and it doesn't try to be. I admit watching it on TV leaves something to be desired, but once you see it live you'll love it.

I am happy to make it possible for us in DC to enjoy more hunky and sweaty men doing men things in cute uniforms. Can they wear shorts?

ha, ha, ha

i'm glad SOMEONE asked......

not that there is anything wrong with that..... ha, ha, ha (depending on who you ask!!!)

I prefer to watch the GAME and not the guys......

BUT HEY

We had a arena team way back in the day when it first came out, but it only lasted a few years (our team anyway) they played at the old Cap Center, from like 1987-1988/89.

My highschool football coach was the teams coach, Ray Yauch , he came

from the CFL and was the coach of the year there 2 or 3 times. I can not remember why the team folded though. :2cents:

We had a arena team way back in the day when it first came out, but it only lasted a few years (our team anyway) they played at the old Cap Center, from like 1987-1988/89.

My highschool football coach was the teams coach, Ray Yauch , he came

from the CFL and was the coach of the year there 2 or 3 times. I can not remember why the team folded though. :2cents:

Yeah your talking about the Washington / Maryland Commandos. They played from 1987 to 1990. They played at the Patriot Center in 1989 and the other years they played in the Capital Centre.

wasc.gif

Archived