Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Media lies about LaVar

CowboySlayer

They can also renegotiate his contract, being that 2007 has no cap. DS can do any write off he wants considering he knows something about law, as long as the 2006 season makes the cap on paper, anything can be worked out in 2007.

It's just a matter if LA will go for that or not. :whoknows:

How come no cap in 2007?

The Redskins would "honor" LaVar's contract (if he does not restructure or take a pay cut) by simply cutting him from the team. This wording is in every contract since the money is not guaranteed (other than signing bonuses). We would take a large salary cap hit for one year (like Coles) but LaVar would not be able to come close in matching it with another team IMO. This is why he should restructure, especially if he wants to be a Redskin. Otherwise, he runs the risk of being cut; we run the risk of getting nothing for him in return. Simply economics on both sides.

I think the main issue over the paper's article and Lavar's response is what he really meant when he said "renegotiate his contract".

I seriously doubt he nor any other player in the NFL would be willing to take a DRASTIC pay cut to stay with one team. Nor should they be expected to. Despite the problems he's had with GW, Lavar has shown that when playing within Williams' schemes he can still be a gamechanger (See the Tampa Bay game). We could trade and/or dump him, but that would result in a cap hit that the Skins really can't afford.

What could happen, however, is for Lavar to renegotiate how and when he recieves the money he's entitled to. I'm not 100% sure of the specifics, but I know he's entitled to a huge bonus next year. If they instead spread his money out proportionally over the rest of his contract; less of a cap hit, more money to spend this off season, etc. It would be a reverse TO (still getting the same money just later rather than sooner). I still have doubts he'd even be up for it, but considering how much he loves this team, and how much he still is a key part of this defense, I have hope.

guys, he is not going to take a paycut. No one ever does, and to expect otherwise from lavar is unfair. Snyder signed a contract, lavar should expect him to honor it.

LaVar did say that he was willing to restructure, which is what I think he was implying with his statement about doing whatever it takes. He wants to be a redskin as much as anyone else on the team.

Good take on the situation, I agree.

LaVar's comments are insincere ... he does not want to be a Redskin because he knows he is not good enough to play in William's scheme ... he wants out badly and will get his wish. Good riddance.

lol ... I'm sure if Lavar could take a swing at Greg he definitely would do it.

Sometimes "pride" can kill you. I think that's what got in the way of Lavar's learning. But I think he's good enough to still play in Greg's system.

Big Daddy refused a pay cut. He would have still been making over 2$ million for the season. He opted to take his chances on the open market and ended up with the Lions, playing for less money.

I think Lavar is in a similiar situation. He will get more from us even at a reduced salary. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Who says what the paper reported was a lie?

Welcome to the world of LaVar "Spotlight" Arrington.

LaVar is the biggest attention whore this team has ever had. That's why I call him "Spotlight". If his play doesn't put him in the spotlight, then he will say something that does. He could have very well said exactly what the paper said he did, knowing he would then be approached about it so he could be the focus of attention. Which is where he always wants to be.

I hope the team can find a way to keep him. I truly do. But ONLY if it's good for the TEAM.

I also wish he'd learn to keep his mouth shut and just play football. But I suspect if he kept his mouth shut for more than a day or two his head would explode.

Come on Spotlight. You talk the talk, but will you walk the walk?

Not sure if the NFLPA would even allow him to take a pay cut. Pretty sure they wouldnt.

Fortunately the NFLPA has no say in the matter. If Lavar acts of his own will and takes a pay cut that's his choice. Hell Lavar could sign a contract for league minimum and the NFLPA couldn't do squat

It would be reasonable if Lavar took a paycut that was about half of what he received in 2004. It wasn't his fault that he got hurt and took the year off, but it takes a lot of gall to sit the year out, watch the defense do better, and then sue the team for additional money.

In this morning's Virginian-Pilot sports section, I was elated at the news I saw, quoting LaVar as saying with the signing and retention of the coaching staff and his love of the fans, he was willing to take a drastic pay cut to stay with the team. The joy wore off fast when on the news at noon, he was on there saying he never said that, and although he would love nothing more than to stay in D.C., he didn't see any way it would happen. This is another example of why I hate the media. My day went down the hill in a hurry when LaVar confirmed it was a lie. Why does freedom of the press give them the right to lie without punishment? :mad:

Ahh, so young, so full of optimism and well, ignorance.

How is it some of you didn't see the writing on the wall in September?

Why should he be forced to take a pay cut?

Seriously, if a new analyst came in to your office and started implying that the company could save money if one of their employees, you, should take a paycut, how would you feel? Implying that you are not a team player for not taking less money.

He wants to stay.

He wants to renegotiate his contract. That's encouraging. Leave it at that.

This may be able to happen. I actually think the chances of him staying are greater than the chances of him leaving.

In the everyday working world, is it legal for you to get a paycut if your play hasn't sustained the level it was at when receiving the original salary? If I work at Wendy's and get 5.50 an hour, get a raise to 6.00 because I'm so good, but then get caught spitting in the fries, is it legal for them to take me back down to 5.50?

Lavar has played well, but he's pretty much equal with Lemar Marshall, so I sure hope he isn't getting a lot more money than him. Paycut his ass....

guys, he is not going to take a paycut. No one ever does, and to expect otherwise from lavar is unfair. Snyder signed a contract, lavar should expect him to honor it.

LaVar did say that he was willing to restructure, which is what I think he was implying with his statement about doing whatever it takes. He wants to be a redskin as much as anyone else on the team.

noone ever takes a paycut in the nfl?tell jerome bettis that,he took a paycut to comback last yr to play with pitt,i think he took 1 this yr also to comeback.:dallasuck

Just curious about something. How many of you would be willing to take a pay cut in your jobs, to show your charactor? Go SKINS!

As a side note, living in the Dallas area, let me assure you, these people are frotthing at the mouth thinking Lavar might be on the market.

They can also renegotiate his contract, being that 2007 has no cap. DS can do any write off he wants considering he knows something about law, as long as the 2006 season makes the cap on paper, anything can be worked out in 2007.

It's just a matter if LA will go for that or not. :whoknows:

It's a 99 percent certainty there will be a cap in 2007. The league is not stupid.

Anything LaVar says is just that... meaningless words unless he backs them up with action.

LaVar seems to becoming quite adept at saying one thing and doing another.

My guess is this is all about LaVar and very little about the team. We shall see.

Now he has postured himself to be the self suffering one that the team casts aside...One more to the long list of "whoa is me act" of Lavar.

I would like to see Lavar back but the stats don't lie. Last year we were 3rd ranked defense and LA never touched the field. This year I think we were 8th or 9th. I say we deal Lavar and add a pass rusher or, OL or a #2 receiver.
last time i checked, 4 games counted as touching the field. he didn't get a sack and 18 tackles from the bench....I mean, he's good and all, but nobody is THAT good. We are better with LaVar because of his ability to play almost any defensive position. With LaVar on D, opponents reviewing game tape is useless, because he's an amazing talent, and is completely impossible to stop or predict, because he can be anywhere, and always has been when he's played.

Good call. It's a shame all the falacies propagated about Arrington. And the lemmings who jump on the bandwagon with falsehoods of their own. Arrington is gold, and that was shown in the Tampa game which we would have lost if not for him.

By the way, Trevor Matich's said after the season - Arrington stays. People who assume he is going may be surprised.

Ahh, so young, so full of optimism and well, ignorance.

How is it some of you didn't see the writing on the wall in September?

What "writing on the wall" was that?

That Arrington would be traded before the October deadline?

Or that Arrington was on the outs before he was brought back to starter?

Or that Arrington had refused to play on special teams before the coaches said that never happened?

Or that coaches benched Arrington because of attitude before the coaches said that never happened & it was about his knee?

What is "so young, so full of optimism and well, ignorance" about Arrington not being traded. Some people were saying that last year. Alas, older and no wiser.

What "writing on the wall" was that?

That Arrington would be traded before the October deadline?

Or that Arrington was on the outs before he was brought back to starter?

Or that Arrington had refused to play on special teams before the coaches said that never happened?

Or that coaches benched Arrington because of attitude before the coaches said that never happened & it was about his knee?

What is "so young, so full of optimism and well, ignorance" about Arrington not being traded. Some people were saying that last year. Alas, older and no wiser.

Some of us saw the writing on the wall back in April when Arrington lied about the staff rushing him back from injury. The only reason he wasn’t traded back then was because they were already swallowing that monster Coles hit. An in-season trade would have been even worse because 12 mill or so of bonus money would have immediately came due and we didn’t have that kind of room. So those who were calling for a trade early in the year (October) showed a failure to understand the cap.

Arrington had this coming season (2005) to change the minds of the staff and save his hide. Instead of shutting up and playing like a Pro Bowler he ****ed, moaned, and made the occasional play. Too little too late, partner. Best of luck with your next drama on a new channel.

Archived