Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Extra on Fox 5

jbooma

Last night on Redskins Extra on fox they talked about how we left 17 points on the ground in Seattle. The HB pass Cooley was open and Portis just need to lead him to the right and we would have scored. The dam miss FG :doh:

The other play we should have scored was the pickTD for Rogers, it was in his hands.

They mentioned there is no way we can get rid of LA because of the cap implications. Expect Ramsey to be gone because of his cap number, most likely in a trade.

They also said TO would be worth it on a one year deal only, he will have to be on his best behavior.

Last night on Redskins Extra on fox they talked about how we left 17 points on the ground in Seattle. The HB pass Cooley was open and Portis just need to lead him to the right and we would have scored. The dam miss FG :doh:

The other play we should have scored was the pickTD for Rogers, it was in his hands.

They mentioned there is no way we can get rid of LA because of the cap implications. Expect Ramsey to be gone because of his cap number, most likely in a trade.

They also said TO would be worth it on a one year deal only, he will have to be on his best behavior.

I don't believe Ramsey has a large cap number.

I do believe Lavar is more expensive to keep, then to release. Am I wrong? Just from a cap perspective.

I don't believe Ramsey has a large cap number.

I do believe Lavar is more expensive to keep, then to release. Am I wrong? Just from a cap perspective.

Pat is either 1.7 or 1.4 million against the cap.

They were saying that the roster bonus for LA can be spread out through the life of the contract.

For us to release or trade him it would be a 12 million dollar cap hit, to keep I think only 7 million

Pat is either 1.7 or 1.4 million against the cap.

They were saying that the roster bonus for LA can be spread out through the life of the contract.

For us to release or trade him it would be a 12 million dollar cap hit, to keep I think only 7 million

They are correct we can spread the bonus out lowering the cap number. The real measure though is what his cap hit would be if we cut him versus what his current projected cap hit would be if we keep him. Essentially that's $13 million to keep him and $12 to cut him. Whatever the precise numbers we'd save $1 million against the current projected cap by releasing him. We'd save four or five million by spreading out his bonus.

We took over a $9 million hit for Coles. We CAN take a $12 million hit for LaVar if we don't have much other dead money. Given we have some flexibility with the cap this year that does tighten a bit in coming years depending on the CBA, it's MORE likely he's cut now than not because you can eat the hit now, where you may not be able to as easily in the coming years.

I'd like to see LaVar develop into a great player under Williams. But, the cap lines up better today to release or trade LaVar than it will in the future.

They are correct we can spread the bonus out lowering the cap number. The real measure though is what his cap hit would be if we cut him versus what his current projected cap hit would be if we keep him. Essentially that's $13 million to keep him and $12 to cut him. Whatever the precise numbers we'd save $1 million against the current projected cap by releasing him. We'd save four or five million by spreading out his bonus.

We took over a $9 million hit for Coles. We CAN take a $12 million hit for LaVar if we don't have much other dead money. Given we have some flexibility with the cap this year that does tighten a bit in coming years depending on the CBA, it's MORE likely he's cut now than not because you can eat the hit now, where you may not be able to as easily in the coming years.

I'd like to see LaVar develop into a great player under Williams. But, the cap lines up better today to release or trade LaVar than it will in the future.

I think they mentioned we have about 4 million in dead money right now. A 12 million dollar hit is huge, it might be better to keep him if we can spread it out. That is going to be the key decision this offseason for sure.

I think we need to kepp Ramsey and LaVar if we are going to take another run at it. We know how important a backup QB is. Campbell coming in would be regressing. Taking a step back to try and take 2 forward. I don't want to do that right now. If the plans are to regress for Campbell, then yeah I can see both getting cut.

This is dead money for players that were not on the roster at the beginning of 2005.

In 2005 the largest amount of dead money went to.....

Lav Coles 9.285 mm

Jeremiah Trotter 4.826 mm

Regan Upshaw 1.2mm

Ron Gardner 1.11 mm

Many other players received smaller amounts...Fiore had a half million to lead the rest.

Total dead money in 2005 was 19.973 mm.......

2006 as of now...

Chad Morton 1.00 mm

Mike Barrow 1.66 mm

Various other players with inconsequential amounts.

Total dead money is for 2006 is 3.568 million

For 2006 if cut/traded after 6/1.....

Ramsey counts for 1.2 mm if cut/traded..............2.8mm if on the roster

Hall counts for 640k if cut/traded........1.4 mm if on roster

Arrington is 12.5 mm if cut/traded........12.1 mm if on roster

Brunell is 5.7 mm if cut/traded.....5.4mm if on roster

Jacobs is 720k if cut/traded....840k if on roster

Thrash is 250k if cut/traded....1.1 mm if on roster

Bowen is 400k if cut/traded....2.4mm on roster....CAN YOU SAY BYE BYE?

Raymer is 134k if cut/traded...1.11 mm if on roster SEE ABOVE

Walt Harris is 750k if cut traded.....2.75 mm if on roster........ADIOS

This is dead money for players that were not on the roster at the beginning of 2005.

Lav Coles 9.285 mm

Regan Upshaw 1.2mm

Ron Gardner 1.11 mm

Many other players received smaller amounts...Fiore had a half million to lead the rest.

2006 as of now...

Chad Morton 1.00 mm

Mike Barrow 1.66 mm

So basically we are saving 400,000 on Arrington and if we spread out the bonus its going to be 4 million under that figure. In addition we many even redo his contract and he can take a pay cut. I can see that happening also. Lavar most likely stays.

Still can't understand why we would give up Ramsey. I mean I know Joe can't stand him (no other explanation for his refusal to put him in the game when Brunell clearly sucked after the Giants game) but still you are not going to find a QB with that kind of money that knows the offense. Campbell is too much of a risk to start next year.

Lav Coles 9.285 mm

Regan Upshaw 1.2mm

Ron Gardner 1.11 mm

2006 as of now...

Chad Morton 1.00 mm

Mike Barrow 1.66 mm

I gotta ask, where did you get the cap info from. Is it online?

I just heard a local radio report that Washington is already over $20 million over the projected cap. I didn't think that was the case before I heard it, but that is what's being reported.

If that is the case, then spreading out LA's roster bonus would be best, wouldn't it?

Thanks Gallnfox, if your numbers are accurate we have some leverage in either releasing players to save money or restructuring players and keeping them and at the same time making them more cap friendly.

Lavar will need to restructure if he wants to stay I think.

I think we should keep Ramsey just out of common sense, he knows the offense now he's had two years in it, you can't put a price tag on that. In 2007 his deal will be up and we'll have Campbell who will then have two years in the system.

Jacobs is a bust, he'll be gone imo

My gut tells me Hall is gone, however there is still a little voice in my head telling me he'll be back.

Thrash I hope will be back as well as Bowen, both are Gibbs type guys. I wouldn't mind seeing Harris back either, regardless of what some will have you believe he improved throughout the season and will be a great nickle/backup to have on the roster.

The numbers were taken from various sources but here is the best link I've found to explain the salary cap situation..........dead money is just that.......dead money in addition to players you have under contract is what pushes you to those $20mm numbers you are seeing. Contracts can be reworked...bonuses spread out etc...

http://redskins.scout.com/2/482405.html

Lav Coles 9.285 mm

Regan Upshaw 1.2mm

Ron Gardner 1.11 mm

2006 as of now...

Chad Morton 1.00 mm

Mike Barrow 1.66 mm

We pay our guys in millimeters?? ;)

MRMADD's thread about the cap summed it up pretty well.

I just heard a local radio report that Washington is already over $20 million over the projected cap. I didn't think that was the case before I heard it, but that is what's being reported.

If that is the case, then spreading out LA's roster bonus would be best, wouldn't it?

They'd be wrong.

I think it's absolutely crazy that so many people think a first round draft pick (Campbell) isn't ready to be a back-up QB in his second year. Let's be real. If JC can't back-up Brunell next year, there are SERIOUS issues with that pick.

Or there's a serious problem with your understanding of the game. Could Campbell play next year? Certainly. Could he play and be expected to be as comfortable as a veteran might be and lead us in case of injury to the starter to the playoffs? Less likely. It takes time for players to develop. Carson Palmer took a year on the bench then sucked most of the year playing before he started to get it figured out. Most young QBs don't really take off until Year 3 in the league.

If you think Campbell should be the primary backup next year, you're not hoping for a very good year from the team then because you don't count on a second-year player at that spot on a team built to be highly competitive and in the playoffs. Year 3, sure :).

a non-cap/releaseing players comment...

sure we may have left 17 points if everything happened in a perfect world, but...

1) cooley was open, but was covered relatively closely by a safety (?). a NFL QB could have hit him fairly easily, but to expect a RB to hit him while essentially on the run is a bit much. the HB toss option is designed to leave the receiver WIDE open for an easy pass. CP/CC's situation was not a gimmie.

2) rogers's INT wasn't as easy as it appeared in real time speed. on the replay, it looked to me like rogers got there a step late for the INT to be an easy one. he could have made the INT, but it would have had to been a great, athletic catch. possible, yes, but again, not a gimmie.

3) hall's missed FG was freakin horrible. that was a huge blow to the skins offense AND defense.

great post Gallnt, thanks for the info that is good stuff

Also, with regard to Arrington... I think Joe Gibbs has made it abundantly clear in his short time here that 'making the right decision' (so to speak) supercedes any cap hits/analysis, favorability, etc.

If Joe doesn't want LA on the team, he will be released. Independent of the cap ramifications.

Yes, it IS that simple. At least nowadays.

Archived