Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs failed today's test

WilberMarshall48

You got to be kidding me right? This team was doing the best it could.. drop passes, unblock rushers etc... That is not Gibbs fault and for one second you blame that on JG is just insane!! We got here with one wide reciever for the past 7 games, Randy Thomas was out, injuries were just too much.. I am proud of what this man has done... This is not a failure at all.. Hail to Joe Gibbs and the team.

I couldn't have said it better. Gibbs did the best that he could with a banged up and injured team. The 'Skins haven't had any real rest since week 3. Let's just hope they get a later bye week next year.

Since I am member number 910.........and there are now more than 50,000 members, I guess I am one of the "old timers. So I will speak for me.

I do NOT like garbage........trash talk..........."know it all" attitudes......."condensending attitudes" from ANYONE. Those of us who have been here for a long time......learned each other. Learned our personalities..........and worked to learn our styles. Many new people come on here and start spouting before any of us know what they are about.

Surely you recognize, that what is written on a computer page is not always what the poster is trying to say.

New people need to take the time to read.........learn style...........LEARN RESPECT............before they jump in and attack.

NO ONE HERE IS A COACH FOR THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS. NO ONE HERE KNOWS IT ALL. We are all fans of the game. Some of us have followed the Skins longer than others........some of us are blessed to be close to players.........and some have other connections to the team. But we are still fans.

So when people come here with the "Y'ALL ARE SO STUPID I KNOW IT ALL" attitude............yep.........we are going to slam them.

If you are not happy about that........maybe this is really not the site for you.

Blondie

Dude your insane if you do not see the NUMEROUS amounts of people on this PUBLIC message board that get hammered for speaking their minds. I have seen so many threads here where people are told to shut up and that they are idiots many times simply because they dont have a high posting count and have not been here for years. Tell me I am wrong and then you can sling your crap at me for my comment.

YOU DONT OWN THIS BOARD!! We all do. I wish some of the ol' timers like you seem to call yourself (as you made clear in your post) would realize this before slamming someone who wants to exercise their 1st amndmt.

I'm not trying to be negative or condescending here. Honestly.

I'm trying to challenge perception.

Does the fact that, under Gibbs, with starter's reps that both Ramsey and Brunell turn the ball over at the same rate(fumbles/INTs) impact or influence anyone's thinking on that "Ramsey is prone to turnovers" meme?

That aside, other than the QB issue, I think Gibbs, while not perfect, set up the team to make some plays, but certain cats could not make them. Now that could reflect on him, but we had chances, I think.

Yeah, but no matter who was giving him the ball, Portis wasn't finding holes to run through. So in reality, I don't think it would have mattered. :2cents:

But then again, you never know. I mean, maybe Ramsey would have been fine. We'll never know. Its silly to argue about it...we had Gibbs' choice in there at QB, and that's that. For some reason Ramsey puts the fear of god into Gibbs, and he does NOT want him back there. That's good enough for me.

Why don't you give posting a rest? Even when someone is circumspect and measured in their comments, you attack anything critical. If you thought you shouldn't even read the thread, then why the heck did you post?

Seriously, I see how you get a free pass every time you want to attack a poster because of your rep on the board. It doesn't mean you're bad or anything, but you're guilty of contributing more to a negative atmosphere than some guy who talks about his perception of Gibbs on a thread. He didn't attack you, did he, or tell you to give posting a rest? His post was respectful--let him speak or counter his thoughts with those of your own. Please tell me "you're not a coach" and "we went to the playoffs" is the sum total of your defense?

And what's worse--how do other posters continually back you when you attack someone for voicing their opinion? What because they've met you? Because you're a woman? I don't get it. You're right, we should all be drinking champagne and celebrating. God forbid anyone look forward to the offseason, offer an opinion that counters your own or your belief about what Gibbs' opinion is--the world will come crashing down around us! The serves will explode and Gibbs will retire because of someone's thread on an internet message board.

Don't read it or stay off the board. Most of what you do is attack others' attempt to even speak on an issue.

You're right--let's all just stop posting. Wouldn't want to offend your tender sensibilities.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'

Responses like this bother me too:

What does Carolina have on offense? Do they even have two stars? (Steve Smith and who?) But look at what they can do on offense.

Don't tell me that we don't have the weapons on offense. The problem may be execution by the players, but a lot of that may be the routes they're running, and those are created by the coaches.

Maybe it's quarterbacking. Maybe with a Delhome we'd be OK on offense, with a QB that has the guts to try and make a play; not be affraid to give one up and throw the ball away 25% of the time.

Panthers have a probowl QB. Not to mention Deshaun Foster. Hear that rushing air sound? That's your arguement getting shot out the sky. Brunell's not better then Delhomme. Moss is not better the Smith. And even if Portis is better then Foster, Portis doesn't have nearly as consistent an offensive line in the playoffs. Forget the regular season, their o-line helped them football games, ours didn't. Case closed man.

Panthers have a probowl QB. Not to mention Deshaun Foster. Hear that rushing air sound? That's your arguement getting shot out the sky. Brunell's not better then Delhomme. Moss is not better the Smith. And even if Portis is better then Foster, Portis doesn't have nearly as consistent an offensive line in the playoffs. Forget the regular season, their o-line helped them football games, ours didn't. Case closed man.

Ignorant:

First of all, my main point was that Delhomme is the difference maker. But let's not forget that Brunell's numbers were comparable to Delhommes, and many argue that Brunell should have made the pro bowl as well.

Second of all, Moss was right behind Smith in receiving yards this year, so I'm not sure where you're going there.

Deshaun vs. Portis? Can we get real here please?

and O-line? We have a pro bowl tackle, and the one on the other side is better! We also have a very good center and right guard. Our O-line is fine talent-wise.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board with your argument here budy... you're just plain wrong. Admit that our talent is equal to or right below that of the panthers on offense, and there's no excuse for not getting the job done against a defense like the Seahawks when the Panthers put up 29 on the Bears. Get real.

Ignorant:

First of all, my main point was that Delhomme is the difference maker. But let's not forget that Brunell's numbers were comparable to Delhommes, and many argue that Brunell should have made the pro bowl as well.

Second of all, Moss was right behind Smith in receiving yards this year, so I'm not sure where you're going there.

Deshaun vs. Portis? Can we get real here please?

and O-line? We have a pro bowl tackle, and the one on the other side is better! We also have a very good center and right guard. Our O-line is fine talent-wise.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board with your argument here budy... you're just plain wrong. Admit that our talent is equal to or right below that of the panthers on offense, and there's no excuse for not getting the job done against a defense like the Seahawks when the Panthers put up 29 on the Bears. Get real.

And what did that all mean in the two playoff games the two teams have played so far? One scored points, the other didn't. Numbers mean jack, as does the regular season. One of these offenses is just not like the other. It rightfully so, one of these offenses just doesn't belong in the conference championship game. If it isn't because of talent, then what is it? It certainly isn't because John Fox is a better coach. Hell no.

'

Responses like this bother me too:

What does Carolina have on offense? Do they even have two stars? (Steve Smith and who?) But look at what they can do on offense.

Don't tell me that we don't have the weapons on offense. The problem may be execution by the players, but a lot of that may be the routes they're running, and those are created by the coaches.

Maybe it's quarterbacking. Maybe with a Delhome we'd be OK on offense, with a QB that has the guts to try and make a play; not be affraid to give one up and throw the ball away 25% of the time.

Colbert and Proehl >>>>> Jacobs and Thrash.

You got to be kidding me right? This team was doing the best it could.. drop passes, unblock rushers etc... That is not Gibbs fault and for one second you blame that on JG is just insane!! We got here with one wide reciever for the past 7 games, Randy Thomas was out, injuries were just too much.. I am proud of what this man has done... This is not a failure at all.. Hail to Joe Gibbs and the team.

No he is not kidding Why could we not play the whole game like we did the fourth quarter? that game was ours for the taking and we blew it.

And what did that all mean in the two playoff games the two teams have played so far? One scored points, the other didn't. Numbers mean jack, as does the regular season. One of these offenses is just not like the other. It rightfully so, one of these offenses just doesn't belong in the conference championship game. If it isn't because of talent, then what is it? It certainly isn't because John Fox is a better coach. Hell no.

I would never say that any coach is better than Gibbs. But Fox is one damn good coach, and he obviously has an offensive coordinator who's doing a good job. Although Gibbs isn't calling the plays (though he has final say), he's still in charge of the offense. I'd say Gibbs is at the top of the league when it comes to motivation, organization and leadership (and selecting character guys). But maybe we do need an offensive coordinator next year.

This team needed alot of help when Gibbs took over!! Well year 2 and were in the play-offs,far exceeding my expections.He can't s.h.i.t. a superbowl team give the man time to get the right personal in place this may require another 2 years and some creative salary cap moves. One thing for sure this team is heading in the right direction and its because of Gibbs and the coaching staff he brought in. Like many I'm dissapionted over the loss and lack of offense we produced in the Seahawks game but I'm not about to lay the blame on Gibbs. We were a tired team battered and bruised we played with a patched offense and it showed. GOD LOVES GIBBS GOD LOVES THE REDSKINS WE WILL BE BACK FOR VENGENCE NEXT YEAR HAIL!!!!! :helmet:

There's a lot of post-game venting going on here, on both sides. I've let it go on because it's a tough loss and the end of the seaason and all that, but now that it's Monday, let's everyone take a deep breath, remember that we're all on the same team and shake hands.

Now that that's out of the way, let me say that I agree that this was a winnable game. However, there is a reason we were 9 point dogs going in. We were playing out 5th road game in 7 games and we just aren't that great a road team. Even during our win streak our offense struggled on the road, and it was bound to catch up to us sooner or later. Alexander had what, 9 yards on 6 carries and a fumble before he went out? He wasn't going to beat us anyway. The question was whether or not we could run the ball against the #5 rushing defense in the league. Turns out we couldn't.

Sure, we could have won the game had Brunell done this or Gibbs called that. But you don't always win all the winnable games you play, and by the same token you don't always lose the games you deserve to lose either. In the end these things tend to even out. We are a 10-6 team that won a playoff game. That's pretty much what we deserved to be this season. Now, if that's not good enough for some of you so be it, but if you ask me nitpicking at the details isn't good for much more than hair-pulling at this point. And I need all the hair I've got left. :)

I would never say that any coach is better than Gibbs. But Fox is one damn good coach, and he obviously has an offensive coordinator who's doing a good job. Although Gibbs isn't calling the plays (though he has final say), he's still in charge of the offense. I'd say Gibbs is at the top of the league when it comes to motivation, organization and leadership (and selecting character guys). But maybe we do need an offensive coordinator next year.

You got to understand how your point doesn't really make sense on getting another coordinator. Gibbs has the final say on all the plays, and him being an offensive genius, there's no doubt in my mind if he thought the play wouldn't work he'd run another one. These players would run through a wall for Gibbs, but he doesn't yet have the talent to win a superbowl. You can't blame Gibbs for this lose, its blasphemy. :no:

I am constantly amazed at the rabid Gibbs fans. Credit Gibbs when we win and blame the players when we lose and still credit Gibbs. The Skins fans seem to consider him a god incapable of mistakes, nothing is EVER Gibbs fault, no shred of blame will be placed on his shoulders. He could drive the team into the basement of the NFL and the fans would still praise him 'because he won three Super Bowls'. I don't care about his past, I'm concerned with the present. Shula was an incredible coach but less than impressive the last SEVERAL seasons, also unwilling to adapt.

Gibbs is a very one dimensional coach, you screw up his plan and it's down hill. Every coach in the NFL goes through it but Gibbs rarely seems to improvise very well. I'm not even talking about the playoff games, it's been this way for two years. He always strikes me as overly conservative with the plays. Most coaches will abandon what worked for them when things go sour or change plans to exploit a weakness in a teams defense, Gibbs rarely does this.

I'm not trying to blame Gibbs, just saying he takes a fair share of the blame for our mediocre offense, same blame that every coach deserves. You can't constantly blame the players for each and every game lost while never looking at Gibbs and the play calling.

Don't let this post mislead you, I do believe Gibbs deserves a lot of credit for the success of this team, all I'm saying is he also deserves some of the burdon of it's failures. He is not perfect and does not make the perfect calls, sure it's easy to question them when we are sitting comfortably in front of a TV, but that doesn't mean we aren't right when questioning a call.

So Gibbs has failed us? Then why did we end up in the playoffs when we were only suppose to be 4 to 12 this year?

Gibbs failed us but we had the best season we have had in the last 6 years. He brought us from nothing to the playoffs within his second year.

Huh this sounds like he really failed us!

We did the best we could on offense with what we had ( one legit wide out, banged up O line ). Joe will add the necessary pieces to impove the O during the off season Remember folks We win as a team and lose as a team. We should never blame one player, coach. play etc. I am looking forward to ext year already!!!

If JH hits the field goal and SM catches the pass in the end zone the game is tied. Perhaps the next time around our players will be able to make the plays necessary to get the win.

On the other hand, if SM doesn't make that incredible catch in the endzone for the first touchdown we're not even in it.

In postgame comments JG response to question regarding the lack of offense in the two playoff games was, "that's on me."

Given his history, I suspect we'll see some changes next year to address the problems...with players and plays.

Carolina comparison is an interesting one.

In interviews here in Chicago yesterday, many folks associated with Panthers were saying being in playoffs before helped them in preparation and playing on the road in win against the Bears.

Seems to me we had a few players with playoff experience but most were in it for the first time. Maybe that was a factor too.

Hope next year we play well enough to gain home field advantage. Definitely would give us an advantage!

I'm not trying to blame Gibbs, just saying he takes a fair share of the blame for our mediocre offense, same blame that every coach deserves. You can't constantly blame the players for each and every game lost while never looking at Gibbs and the play calling.

We had the #11 offense in the league this year. Does Gibbs get credit for that, or should we simply pick out the parts of the offense that weren't perfect and bash him for it? The offense wasn't mediocre. It was better than over half the offenses in the league. I think what you meant to say was the offense was imperfect. Because when you call the offense mediocre, you are giving Gibbs more than a 'fair share' of blame.

The fact is, we were an above average team this year. Gibbs gets credit for that. Does he also get the blame for the fact that we weren't a perfect team? Sure. He didn't do everything perfectly. He made some mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, so I'm not sure that's really worthy of debate.

But when you look at the balance sheet, when all is said and done ... when you look at the pros and the cons of this team, Gibbs did a heck of a job. A hell of a job.

Given that, I find it reactionary and short-sighted to take the few things Gibbs didn't do right and hold them up to the bright shiny lights while downplaying the positives he brought back to this team ... improvements that were LONG overdue. I know this recent loss hurts. I know we let an opportunity get away, but let's not take it out on the guy who's primarily responsible for getting us the opportunity in the first place.

Archived