Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Something I've noticed this week in Seattle

SeattleSkinsFan

Judging from history, I would bet that in the DC area this week it's been all Redskins darn near all the time. People talking about it in the office, at the store...

I work in the Seattle Municipal Tower, where many of the city government offices are. I work across the street from city hall. I ride the bus to work. I'm in a lot of public places during the week, and work with several guys who are football fans.

I have not heard one word ANYWHERE this week about the Seahawks. I kid you not. I'm sure the local news has been talking about them, but the hoi polloi, as best as I can tell, are underwhelmed.

My bus takes me by Qwest Field twice a day, and it looks the same now as it has all season. I don't see banners in storefronts. I don't see people wearing Seahawks gear.

I'll be wearing Redskins gear to work tomorrow. We'll see if I'm able to at least elicit a few dirty looks. ;)

I guess my point is, there may be some football fans IN this town, but this is not a football town.

thats surprising to me i thought seattle would be like it is around here, with people walking around in redskins gear

haha nice!!!

But it's great here, i've seen cars with Redskins flags, jackets, hats and all kinds of memorablia, i just wish people would do this 100% of the time, not just when we are in the playoffs.....

by the way, i'll have my flags on my truck tomorrow while i'm at work

I absolutely, positively agree with your last sentence. I'm about an hour from Pittsburgh, PA and most people there could care less about what the Pirates or Penguins do. It's always about the Steelers. Pittsburgh is definitely a football town. Seattle is not. BTW, I read on here where the mayor of D.C made tomorrow Burgandy and Gold day, so make sure you celebrate it up there in Seattle like you said you will.

that was my point in a previous post, the Seahawks do not have a long established football tradition the way the Redskins or say the Giants do in the NFL. they have not won a Super Bowl, indeed they have never been to one. I always got the feeling that the Sonics and the NBA were the big deal in town not the Seahawks.

none of this means Seattle is going to lose the game, but I do think there is a carryover effect for the Redskins players knowing that football IS the centerpiece of Washington sports and all eyes will be on the team on Saturday :)

What do you expect? The original owner of the Hawks was the Nordstrom family. I can't muster much loyalty in that direction, but the current owner is Paul Allen, and while he may not be as evil as Bill G, he is an owner of a criminally convicted monopoly.....can't really get behind him either.

The reason you dont see them walking the streets and sporting jerseys is because all 15-20 Seahawk fans are here on ES right now talking up their team to us.

:D:D:D:D:D

j/k

Oh geesh... that's funny...

There's probably a few more fans than 15-20...

but that's interesting to read about Seattle and the fact fans aren't wearing Seahawks gear.. and showing their pride and stuff.

That surprises me for a town who retired the #12 (12th man) jersey...

Geesh

I absolutely, positively agree with your last sentence. I'm about an hour from Pittsburgh, PA and most people there could care less about what the Pirates or Penguins do. It's always about the Steelers. Pittsburgh is definitely a football town. Seattle is not. BTW, I read on here where the mayor of D.C made tomorrow Burgandy and Gold day, so make sure you celebrate it up there in Seattle like you said you will.

I'm about an hour east of Pittsburgh too and I can honestly say everything and anything is about the Steelers. However I did manage to travel down to DC a few days before the Bucs game and everything was about the Skins so it is comforting to know that D.C is following the skins and rooting them on like this.

Isn't Seattle a baseball team or something like that? All I know about Seattle is it's rainy :(

Judging from history, I would bet that in the DC area this week it's been all Redskins darn near all the time. People talking about it in the office, at the store...

I work in the Seattle Municipal Tower, where many of the city government offices are. I work across the street from city hall. I ride the bus to work. I'm in a lot of public places during the week, and work with several guys who are football fans.

I have not heard one word ANYWHERE this week about the Seahawks. I kid you not. I'm sure the local news has been talking about them, but the hoi polloi, as best as I can tell, are underwhelmed.

My bus takes me by Qwest Field twice a day, and it looks the same now as it has all season. I don't see banners in storefronts. I don't see people wearing Seahawks gear.

I'll be wearing Redskins gear to work tomorrow. We'll see if I'm able to at least elicit a few dirty looks. ;)

I guess my point is, there may be some football fans IN this town, but this is not a football town.

Sorry to break this to you guys, but the above post is an utter, bald-faced lie......this whole town is living and breathing Seahawks right now....The 12th man flag is up on the Space Needle, there are new "Playoffs" banners hanging from the buildings near Qwest and everywhere you go you see people in Seahawks gear. You also see people who don't know each other slapping High Fives and such....I'm not making this up - If he and I just lived in different neighborhoods that would be one thing, but he's claiming this downtown where I know it is simply not the case.

If you'd like me to post proof that this town is big on football right now I will, but it really seems unnecessary to me right now.

I will agree that this town is not yet a full-on football town, that I cant' dispute, but I'm doing my part to change that :)

Good luck on Saturday guys, I'm afraid you are going to need it :)

When I was stationed in Bremerton a few moons ago (not that many damn you 1994-8), I was surprised at the lack of interest in Seattle's pro teams.

You would hear the occasional word about the Sonics because they were on and off a semi decent team. You only heard about the Mariners once they made the pennant race. Then everyone jumped on the bandwagon until they pulled a Marlin and sold off almost every all-star player they had.

In the 4-1/2 years I was there, you could buy tickets for a Seahawks game on a whim as if you were going to a movie theater. Now I'm not saying there aren't diehard Hawks fans, it's just that I didn't see very many of them. There are plenty of UW and WSU fans that fight amongst themselves but I haven't seen any of those show that type of loyalty to the Hawks.

It wouldn't surprise me if there are more Skins fans in that stadium than there were at Tampa. Then again, since they actually made the playoffs there may be more than usual, but none with the heart that our loyal fans have.

Seattle's the on city where I was tempted to ask a local, "you do realize you a pro football team, right?"

Sorry to break this to you guys, but the above post is an utter, bald-faced lie......this whole town is living and breathing Seahawks right now....The 12th man flag is up on the Space Needle, there are new "Playoffs" banners hanging from the buildings near Qwest and everywhere you go you see people in Seahawks gear.

No lies. All truth. I haven't seen or heard anything Seahawks in the civic heart of the city, and I've been looking for it and listening for it.

Yes, they did put a big "12" flag on the top of the Space Needle. Maybe there's some other stuff down there. But the area around Qwest Field looks as depressed now as it did two months ago.

Archived