Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eric Moulds Not TO Will Be Redskin in 2006

bulldog

Eric Moulds is a elite WR. He's size, speed, athleticism, and veteran experience will compliment the offense well. That's just what we need.

At this point, he's not an elite receiver. He's still a considerable threat... and you can envision him having a few breakout games across a guy like Moss. And that's exactly what we'd need.

Brandon Loyd. Bottom line.
However, I'm not prepared to give up on David Patten just yet either. He stretched the field on a few occasions. And I got the feeling he was going to be more of a factor later in the year. Too bad.

I agree with both of you. i don't want to give up on patten because I think he's a great leader and a great player, but we certainly need to add something. i really like brandon Lloyd because he is up and coming and has shown signs of super satrdom in a lackluster system. Another guy I like is David Givens. I think if we have an oppurtunity to add Patriots than we should. They are proven to be winners and team guys.

two guys i really like in the draft as well are Jason Avant (Michigan guy, big body, can win the jump ball, great route runner and INCREDIBLE hands)and Maurice Stovall (only 20, has played four years of big time college ball, has played under charlie weis, and is 6'5")

I'm also not sold on signing old guys because you have to give them more money and it seems like this is where teams strike out in free agency (ala us with Deion, Mark Carrier and Seattle with Bobby Taylor, etc.)

At this point, he's not an elite receiver. He's still a considerable threat... and you can envision him having a few breakout games across a guy like Moss. And that's exactly what we'd need.

Actually, he's due for his traditional, even-year-breakout:

+--------------------------+-------------------------+
                |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |
| 1996 buf |  16 |    12     44    3.7    0 |    20    279  13.9    2 |
| 1997 buf |  16 |     4     59   14.8    0 |    29    294  10.1    0 |
| 1998 buf |  16 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    67   1368  20.4    9 |
| 1999 buf |  14 |     1      1    1.0    0 |    65    994  15.3    7 |
| 2000 buf |  16 |     2     24   12.0    0 |    94   1326  14.1    5 |
| 2001 buf |  16 |     3      3    1.0    0 |    67    904  13.5    5 |
| 2002 buf |  16 |     1      7    7.0    0 |   100   1287  12.9   10 |
| 2003 buf |  13 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    64    780  12.2    1 |
| 2004 buf |  16 |     5     19    3.8    0 |    88   1043  11.9    5 |
| 2005 buf |  15 |     0      0    0.0    0 |    81    816  10.1    4 |
|  TOTAL   | 154 |    28    157    5.6    0 |   675   9091  13.5   48 |

:)

I've never understood the infatuation with Brandon Lloyd...he drops easy passes and runs sloppy routes, from what I've seen...

It's not just the highlight reel catches........is it?

Moulds is a guy I've liked for us for some time; I think, actually, I posted in that previous thread, and I continue to advocate pursuing him.

While other teams are trying to finagle a trade for TO and trying to throw tons of money at Reggie Wayne (who I would also love) and the aforementioned Lloyd, we can be working with the newly released Moulds on a contract, or with the Bills on a trade. I don't think there will be as much market for Moulds because I don't think he has either A) the likelihood of being a true #1 next year (like TO) or B) the future potential of being a #1 (like Wayne or Lloyd). I think it would be a financially sound pickup that would really upgrade the WR corps.

However, I'm not prepared to give up on David Patten just yet either. He stretched the field on a few occasions. And I got the feeling he was going to be more of a factor later in the year. Too bad.
I feel what you're saying Die Hard, but do you still think that he can be a factor coming back from an injury? The troubles that he was having before he got injured just may be doubled now.

I like Moulds because he not only fits our offense but because like Keenan McCardell in 2002 has a taste for being on a winning team. In fact, his differences with Mullarkey and the Bills had a lot to do with his impression the team was headed in the wrong direction while they were telling him he was past his prime :laugh:

meanwhile, Donahoe didn't do much to help Gregg Williams or Mullarkey as the GM. Mostly poor personnel moves and the coaches took the fall for them.

Ralph Wilson neeed to fire Donahoe a year ago.

The Bills blamed Williams for having a team that could stop people but couldn't score and yet they never replaced Peerless Price and then drafted Willis McGahee despite the fact he wasn't going to be able to play if at all his first year.

That left Williams without much to work with on offense.

has everyone forgoten patten??? he is a real character guy and i guarentee you he would have had a better year if he wasnt nagged by injuries and put on IR... but im all for picking up moulds if the cap is clean for that...

110% agree. I think Patten will still be productive for us, lets not forget about him.

has everyone forgoten patten??? he is a real character guy and i guarentee you he would have had a better year if he wasnt nagged by injuries and put on IR... but im all for picking up moulds if the cap is clean for that...

I don't think people have forgotten Patten, it's just that he never showed any signs of being a sufficient number two. Quite frankly, I think Patten would be extremely effective as a number three, where he could play a little out of the slot and work on some nickel backs. Moulds's presence would be a great boost to Patten's production I think, not in that Patten would get more looks, but in that Patten could get the right kind of looks...not working underneath, but stretching the field.

DH...

Patten is the perfect slot reciever in 3 wide sets. Moss and Moulds on the outside is perfect.

I also dont believe he will get a lot of money because of his age.

I for one am all for signing him.... remember how Henry Ellard was washed up when he came here?

The only problem with Lloyd is that he is a RFA. Now, I think he's a teriffic talent and he is worth the draft pick, but I think the 9ers would be quick to match any offer sheet he'd sign, unless the team doing the signing did something stoopid...

I don't want to be THAT team anymore...

How soon people forget.

Henry Ellard, when he signed with us, was 33. Then, he proceeded to have one of the best seasons of his career with us. He was also pretty solid for two more years.

Jason

Didn't some ridiculous percentage of his recpetions go for first downs? I think it was like 90%...

BTW, congrats in advance on your 1500th post...

DH...

Patten is the perfect slot reciever in 3 wide sets. Moss and Moulds on the outside is perfect.

I also dont believe he will get a lot of money because of his age.

I for one am all for signing him.... remember how Henry Ellard was washed up when he came here?

Hey, I can live with David Patten as our slot receiver if Moulds is on the other side :) That would be THE ideal situation.

And given our WR corps... SOMETHING has to be done to get more production out of the group. Thrash and Jacobs aren't getting it done.

So there's certainly room for a guy like Moulds.

Archived