Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eric Moulds Not TO Will Be Redskin in 2006

bulldog

The only problem with Lloyd is that he is a RFA. Now, I think he's a teriffic talent and he is worth the draft pick, but I think the 9ers would be quick to match any offer sheet he'd sign, unless the team doing the signing did something stoopid...

I don't want to be THAT team anymore...

exactly. really good point. we definately had way too many jetskins who were restricteds. was trung candidate one too? i think bowen was as well.

lol have people been paying attention to the cap decisions? You rip someone for saying there have been a lot of poor decisions... when there have been.

Coles is costing us a fortune this season, we finally got Deion off the cap a couple years ago, bruce smith more recently. We have a huge dead cap space every year because of players that were cut/traded. Coles himself cost us 13 mill in cap space.

the Redskins have brought in a number of ex-Bills for tryouts on the basis of Gregg Williams' stint as HC in Buffalo. While Peerless Price was a guy Williams couldn't stand (hence, the team's reluctance to consider him in 2005 after his release in Dallas), Moulds was the team's best player and had his best seasons for the coach.

my guess is that with the 5'10 and 190 Moss as the deep threat the 6'3 and 215 Moulds would be the ideal player lining up across from him for the next 2-3 seasons in Washington.

1. First of all Joe Gibbs DID consider Peerless Price after Dallas released him. The Skins brought him in for a tryout but he was not signed because he wanted a MULTI-YEAR contract and would not play out the season for the minumum. As the Skins are currently tight against the cap in 2005, they didn't want to and were in no position to give him a large signing bonus, without seeing how he would pan out. Hence no signing was consumated. This is the reason he hasn't signed anywhere, because very few teams have the cap room this late in the season.

2. As to Moulds, he is under contract to Buffalo through 2007. He played this year for $1.5M, but his $6M contract for 2006, obviously will have to be re-worked or he will be cut.

However, Moulds will be 33 next year and his YPR average slipped to 10.1 yards, down from his career average of 13.5. This would tend to indicate that his play is slipping and he is slowing down.

I think we could do a lot better with signing a much younger, faster, and cheaper receiver -- someone like David Givens of the Pats.

We don't want the Skins to get back in the habit of signing over-the-hill players again, like Mark Carrier, etc., so quit pushing these old geezers. :laugh:

Once players play in the nfl for a while they become more efficient just look at torry holt. Moulds would be an excellent acquisition, but how does anyone know if are chances are good to get this guy.

Who has inside information? Or is this just a daydream in someones mind.

I would like to know how true this thread is.

do we really want to spend that kind of $$$ on a reciever that's been in the league for 10 years? it's one thing for QBs to stay productive with age, but WRs tend to lose some of their edge...i don't know...i think we could use what's his name from Cleveland...Mr. no-name that has produced great stats with a mediocre QB.

I suspect Gibbs, as myself, still has David patten in mind for that role, if he heals properly. I have yet to stop believing that it was just a matter of time before Patten played his role effecttively. He needed more time on the field and more of a connection with Mark to develop, IMO. He knows the system, and has the character Gibbs wants. Other than one apparent, and minor, griping press-session incident, he's been a real team guy.

His history at NE was very paralell to Moss's at NY, in a "step-down" kind of way. He can still rise to a good #2 in our offense and the $ figure is less straining than signing some fading #1 or currently well-known #2. But, I'm open-minded, and curious to see what we'll really do when it happens.

I don't think people have forgotten Patten, it's just that he never showed any signs of being a sufficient number two.

Patten was fine when Ramsey was QB. He got plenty of looks as the second wideout and in fact, during preseason he was getting a fair share of passes and we were talking about Moss AND Patten being deep threats, not about Moss in an exclusive sense. The first game, I think Patten had a intermediate catch, as well (though I might be misremembering.)

That's JUST a statement of fact, not intended as a resurrection of an undying controversy.

We could bring in Buddha and Odin as our second wideouts, it won't matter because someone won't look in their direction and often our plays are designed in a way that HINDER the production of the second wideout (roll-outs, boots, etc)

the Redskins have brought in a number of ex-Bills for tryouts on the basis of Gregg Williams' stint as HC in Buffalo. While Peerless Price was a guy Williams couldn't stand (hence, the team's reluctance to consider him in 2005 after his release in Dallas), Moulds was the team's best player and had his best seasons for the coach.

my guess is that with the 5'10 and 190 Moss as the deep threat the 6'3 and 215 Moulds would be the ideal player lining up across from him for the next 2-3 seasons in Washington.

He would be ideal - but I seriously doubt we have the cap space unless La Vars $12M cap number magically dissapears.

lol have people been paying attention to the cap decisions? You rip someone for saying there have been a lot of poor decisions... when there have been.

Coles is costing us a fortune this season, we finally got Deion off the cap a couple years ago, bruce smith more recently. We have a huge dead cap space every year because of players that were cut/traded. Coles himself cost us 13 mill in cap space.

Next year we have only $3M of dead cap. The biggest chunk of that is Mike Barrow at just over $1M.

Of course that may go up depending on cuts/trades etc.

Huh? The 'Skins have consistently maximized the return they've gotten on their cap dollars. Our problem has been that the talent we've managed to put on the field hasn't produced very well . . . until now that is.

The 'Skins cap management has been masterful.

yeah, but we haven't won the Salary Cap Space Award in that time frame either. didn't you know that it pays to have a ton of cap space? just ask the eagles, cards and vikes.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

However, Moulds will be 33 next year and his YPR average slipped to 10.1 yards, down from his career average of 13.5. This would tend to indicate that his play is slipping and he is slowing down.

Or it could indicate that he had a crappy QB throwing to him :)

I agree though that Givens would be sweet. Still, I'm sure he will fall into the Pierce/Smoot category of players who go to the highest bidder. This will be his one shot at the big bucks since he was such a low pick.

Archived