Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder buys Mega Radio Stations to broadcast Skins Games

Mpower

from www.dcrtv.com

CC's Zier To Run Snyder's Red Zebra - 1/11 - On Wednesday afternoon, Clear Channel announced that Bennett Zier (right), head of its Washington/Baltimore radio operations, is leaving the company to become CEO of Red Zebra Broadcasting, a group being launched by Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder. According to Radio And Records, Snyder, who recently seized control of the Six Flags amusement park chain, reportedly wants to build a media empire and is putting Zier in charge of sniffing out radio, television, and internet opportunities nationwide. R&R adds that while rumors have been swirling that Snyder is jockeying to buy Mega Communications' three-station DC area radio cluster, Mega has denied that a deal is in the works. A well-placed DC radio source tells DCRTV that Mega's stations are a "pathetic collection of signals." Also, DCRTV hears that the domain name of redzebraradio.com was registered to the Redskins on 1/9. DCRTV also hears that Zier was known as "Blue Zebra" by some at Clear Channel. "He jumped off the Clear Channel bridge before he was pushed," we're told. Another source says: "The staff will be told at a 2 PM meeting. Clear Channel wanted Bennett out as of today but he got them to let him stay until Friday. After that, CC's senior VP for the area will come in and run things until a new person is selected." For about two weeks, DCRTV has been exclusively reporting rumors that Snyder is negotiating to purchase three radio stations from Mega - Spanish language WBZS (92.7 FM), WBPS (94.3 FM), and WKDL (730 AM) - to start a sports talk format and move the team from CBS/Infinity's WJFK-FM. The current line of thinking is that WBZS and WBPS will flip to English language sports talk and will carry the Skins in 2006, possibly with the addition of Clear Channel's SportsTalk 980 (WTEM), while WKDL will remain Spanish language with possible Spanish coverage of the Skins. Stay tuned.....

I bet his first order of business should he buy 980 would be to fire Czaban.

While I think your post was hilirious, I think a Czaban is a not even close to being on The Dannys radar ...

I really hope another sports station comes out of any of these dealings ...

I was hoping that Redskins partner XM Satellite Radio would become the flagship station for Redskins football and then make one (or more) of the D.C. stations an affiliate so that fans wouldn't be shut out from Redskins broadcasts on terrestrial radio. If XM signed them, there would be nothing Sirius could do to keep at least one NFL broadcast off of XM, and XM would get their name on Sirius during every Redskins broadcast (unless Sirius decided to carry only the opposition broadcast). Snyder is enough of a maverick to do this. Oh well, wishful thinking.

• 2 weeks later...
While I think your post was hilirious, I think a Czaban is a not even close to being on The Dannys radar ...

I really hope another sports station comes out of any of these dealings ...

You're probably right. Czaban is an ant in Dan Snyder's world. I have grown really tired of his act and would love to see him axed at the hands of somene he so often bashes.

If XM signed them, there would be nothing Sirius could do to keep at least one NFL broadcast off of XM, and XM would get their name on Sirius during every Redskins broadcast (unless Sirius decided to carry only the opposition broadcast). Snyder is enough of a maverick to do this. Oh well, wishful thinking.

At the end of the day doesn't the NFL own the national broadcasting rights to the Redskins? Look at how the NFL shut down the Cowboys and Falcons cable tv channels because of the NFL Network. I seriously doubt that Snyder will be able to block Sirius & the NFL from the Redskins radio broadcasts.

What does this mean to the Redskins network of stations outside the Metro area? Will we lose Sonny and Sam here in NC?

You are either on an affiliate of WJFK or your station bought into the broadcast. I wouldn't worry. Where there is interest there will be broadcast.

Archived