Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins good sportsmanship

sawxray

I don't give a ratt's rump what you think of us. What we think about our guy is on us.

Again I ask you - why do you care about this today?

Because today I came to your board to congratulate you on moving forward in the playoffs, and got the inspired idea of reading the thread about the Giants game. That stuff isn't even on the Cowboys board. I am sure you don't want to be regarded here with less respect than the Ranch, do you?

Regardless, points made are points made. I would never want children of mine, or children I work with, to taunt another team or its fans after they lose a game.

And it is NOT just what YOU think of your guy. It is what the world thinks of him. Everybody has to follow certain rules, like no assault or murder, no use of illicit substances (like LT did), no spitting in other players' faces. If he wants all the money and fame of playing in the NFL, he should abide by the same rules everyone else has to live by. Unless you are saying he is SO special that he should have a separate set of rules...

Listen-TO has had numerous problems, because he doesn't see the rules the same way everyone else does, and because he believes his special talent gives him special privilege. None of us likes this act. And it eventually hurts his team.

Gibbs and many of the players and coaches are part of an old-school and respected organization. I realized there is great pressure to win, but there is a limit to what any organization should tolerate from its players. Otherwise, the organization suffers in toto. Just look at the Eagles. And my opinion is that some fans here are trying so hard to look the other way with Taylor that it threatens the overall acceptance of good sportsmanship. These are, IMO, things we should all try to honor, and pass on to our kids. The vast majority of sports in this country does not propel people into positions of fame and high income. So this kind of role model is a dangerous thing.

Sorry for being long-winded. Just my two cents about the bigger picture.

ST is a loser in the game of life, until something changes big time. I have read some of these threads trying to make excuses for his behavior, which has been inappropriate on the field and illegal off of it. The good people here are starting to get fed up with this sort of " I am a famous football player and I can do whatever I want and hurt whoever I want" attitude, but there are those (you know who you are) who ought to be ashamed of themselves. Would you raise your kids like this? Aren't you the ones who pointed out TO's behavior? How can you justify backing ST, but get on TO's case?

Because it suits your purpose. So you will sacrifice principle and ethics for this little dose of self-esteem you get when you identify with your team so abnormally. Tell you what-you are not the athletes working your butts off and living through the pain and rigor of being a pro player, but you strut around after a win like YOU won the prize. And many of you are the same ones who were ****ing and moaning earlier this year when you lost several.

Truth be told, no one can really say anything. I doubt you were on the field, do you know what was said or done before the incident? Secondly, Pittman is an a$$. He has proven as much in the past. Lastly, I would have spit in his immoral face too.

Because today I came to your board to congratulate you on moving forward in the playoffs, and got the inspired idea of reading the thread about the Giants game. That stuff isn't even on the Cowboys board. I am sure you don't want to be regarded here with less respect than the Ranch, do you?

Regardless, points made are points made. I would never want children of mine, or children I work with, to taunt another team or its fans after they lose a game.

And it is NOT just what YOU think of your guy. It is what the world thinks of him. Everybody has to follow certain rules, like no assault or murder, no use of illicit substances (like LT did), no spitting in other players' faces. If he wants all the money and fame of playing in the NFL, he should abide by the same rules everyone else has to live by. Unless you are saying he is SO special that he should have a separate set of rules...

Listen-TO has had numerous problems, because he doesn't see the rules the same way everyone else does, and because he believes his special talent gives him special privilege. None of us likes this act. And it eventually hurts his team.

Gibbs and many of the players and coaches are part of an old-school and respected organization. I realized there is great pressure to win, but there is a limit to what any organization should tolerate from its players. Otherwise, the organization suffers in toto. Just look at the Eagles. And my opinion is that some fans here are trying so hard to look the other way with Taylor that it threatens the overall acceptance of good sportsmanship. These are, IMO, things we should all try to honor, and pass on to our kids. The vast majority of sports in this country does not propel people into positions of fame and high income. So this kind of role model is a dangerous thing.

Sorry for being long-winded. Just my two cents about the bigger picture.

You were a tattle-tale as a child yes?

It is about what we think of our guy because you made it about what we think of our guy.

Of course you came here, because we are the best NFL message board there is. And you are welcome, but get off of your high-horse.

Again, my two points are:

Supporting ST's ACTIONS does not promote good sportsmanship.

If ST did spit, I agree, this is truly in poor taste and shouldn't be tolerated. But I don't see anyone here saying that spitting in other players faces should be tolerated. Truly, if ST did this, Gibbs will take care of this type of behavior - you can bank on that.

Starting threads taunting the Giants and their fans for losing is bad sportsmanship.

Truly, get over yourself. This is a sports discussion board. If our team does this to your team on the field, fine - I agree that would be bad sportsmanship. This really doesn't apply on internet discussion boards though. Our teams are very tough rivals - fans on both sides get crazed when discussing their teams. Giants fans do this just as much as skins fans. If you say otherwise you'd be lying through your teeth. If your self-professed goal in life is to police all sports fans discussion boards with a holier-than-thou attitude, best of luck to you, but you don't come off any better than those who you berate.

Truly, if you're interested in making the world better through your personal admonishments of others' behavior, I suggest you go somewhere important where your skills can do some good towards mankind:

I suggest you help out your local supermarket by policing the 10 items-or-less Isle, as I really hate people that bring full carts there.

:gaintsuck

Starting threads taunting the Giants and their fans for losing is bad sportsmanship.

I don't think a soul on this board owes you an explanation for ST's actions any more than we want an explanation for how this somehow pains you as a fan of sports and life. Go sell crazy over at the Giants message boards, according to your War and Peace lecture on the ethics of professional sports and the inherent lack thereof by Washington Redskins fans, we're all full over here.

ST was already accused of spitting last year and they found no evidence that he actually did it, i think this week is more of the same...the ref made that call out of reputation, im sure some spit went both ways as much as they were jawin at each other...pittman's punch was ejection worthy, and if that is the only reason you are on here than you are trully bitter, i think you should own up about your loss to the skins and your loss to the panthers...that's not immaturity, because i guarantee you that you would not be back here if we would have lost against you, or if we would have lost to tampa and you would have beaten carolina with anything but gloating posts...just accept that we won and you didnt, im sure you wouldnt want us to come to your site and comment on the pinnacle of sportsmanlike, Jeremy Shockey...

oh yeah, that field goal still isnt good

Because today I came to your board to congratulate you on moving forward in the playoffs, and got the inspired idea of reading the thread about the Giants game.

Maybe you need to read again....

We do allow a certain amount of Redskins machismo here, because that is part of the Redskins experience. So please be advised that it’s likely you will encounter, from time to time, critical, disparaging and even mean-spirited statements about things related to your chosen football team. It’s what we do here.

If you don't like reading the threads on our boards about the Giants game then either DEAL or GET OUT!

It could be that he has overactive salivary glands. I was just spit on the other day by a woman (I could feel it hit my cheek) who was very nice and wasn't yelling or talking loud. Imagine if you're really jawing with someone.

It's possible he DID spit but not the hock-a-loogie kind from what I can tell from his head movement but that kind you do threw your teeth lol

In any event, Taylor isn't a bad apple yet. He's shown signs of being more mature and has actually talked to the media this year. And we are NOT as good a team without him.

I hope you didn't slap her in the helmet :laugh:

I agree with everything I've seen you post about Taylor. My skeptic pal thinks he and the coaches are just trying to paint an image of him as some reformed model citizen to influence the courts disposition in his upcoming trial. I'll take occam's razor on this one, and hope that this environment he's in now is helping him develop his social skills. Not counting cussing Tiki "up and down the field " whether he has the ball or not :laugh:

You know what? You're absolutely right. The NFL has no place for people like Sean Taylor. It's such a shame that every other team in the NFL has nothing but choir boys on their roster. Why can't the Redskins have more player like Jeremy Shockey or Plaxico Burress?

Yup. Hey remember the last time Jeremy Shockey got arrested for. . . um. . . neither do I.

Please inform me of the time Jeremy Shockey got arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, drunken driving, and spit in 2 players faces all in a 2 year span

In fact, let me know of the time he got arrested for anything. He's never been in trouble for anything in his life, other then a few outlandish statements

Do not compare the 2 players

In fact, your TE (who you list as a FB as a sham to try to get him into the pro bowl. good thing no one fell for it) has already done worse with his highly publisized adultery.

Let's all hold hands and sing kume-by-ah (sp?-yeah, like you can spell it off-hand, congradulations) and whisper sweat freakin nothings in one another's ears. Sorry, but at work, I have to play nice. At home, can't be freakin out on the kids. So, when I come on a messageboard for the 'Skins, I would hope that in my passion for my team, my taunting anyone won't make them cry. Then again, ** em if it does. Grow a pair. This is football, not field hockey.

[quote name=

In fact, your TE (who you list as a FB as a sham to try to get him into the pro bowl. good thing no one fell for it) has already done worse with his highly publisized adultery.[/quote]

Oh come on be real. Firstly the NFL listed him as a FB (which we do not carry) not the Skins. Secondly if the worst you can think of to point at him is adultery that is weak to say the least.

Shockey is a good player - better downfield reciever that Cooley at this point but not as good a blocker as Chris IMO.

Chris Cooley was a STEAL as a 3rd round pick and will be a headache for you and the rest of the NFL for years. I'm delighted he is a Skin.

Yup. Hey remember the last time Jeremy Shockey got arrested for. . . um. . . neither do I.

Please inform me of the time Jeremy Shockey got arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, drunken driving, and spit in 2 players faces all in a 2 year span

In fact, let me know of the time he got arrested for anything. He's never been in trouble for anything in his life, other then a few outlandish statements

Do not compare the 2 players

In fact, your TE (who you list as a FB as a sham to try to get him into the pro bowl. good thing no one fell for it) has already done worse with his highly publisized adultery.

Lawrence Taylor, is that you?

there's still no proof he spit. the NFL fined him ONLY $17 large...that tells you something there. They're not even sure. Why would they fine him only 17 grand if they knew he did it? CP got fined 20 grand for wearing some stupid socks...there's something goin don't ya think? Wouldn't they fine him a lot more because he supposedly got caught? Don't accuse him of anything until the truth comes out. I'm not standing up for him but I wouldn't like people accusing me of doing something when infact I'm innocent and the only way people are accusing me is because of someone elses word. It's not going to happen. If he spit he got what he deserved. It's disgusting and he was a dumb*** for doing it. Now would I kill him for that? No! People do much worse **** than that. That's life. Now if he does something boneheaded again would I be concerned? Hell yeah. But he's a class guy...didn't cause a single problem through the season and one incident has people causing an uproar and everyone aiming at us fans for supporting him...no ****. The guy plays hard all the time. I'm not letting one stupid thing change my view of him. The guy is a little crazy BUT I'm sure Gibbs and Co. will handle it.

So just because he's a football player the DUI charge is multiplied by 10? Millions of peope get arrested for it...some learn and some don't. I'm thankful Sean has learned that's not the smartest thing and could cause serious injury to other innocent drivers. It hasn't happened again. I was angry at him for doing it but my friends have also been caught with DUI (and I'm sure you know some people who have as well) and we're still friends. They've learned their lesson adn moved on. He's not a criminal because of that. This is what's called learning from your mistakes.

The assualt is another thing. He's innocent until proven guilty, BUT that doesn't mean I support what he did. I look down at that **** and I always put myself in the position he put hte people whom he brandished a gun at. BUT look at the other side. WOULDN'T you be pissed if some1 stole your atv? He should have called hte police and let them handle it, but maybe he thought he was all that and made a mistake. He's going to learn from that. He knows how dumb he is. He knows how stupid it is of him to PUT him adn his FAMILY in that situation. You really think he doesn't know what's going on?

Everyone makes mistakes. At least he hasn't repeated anything and that's telling you something. And if you say he's spit twice, PROVE it. Without proof there's no argument. I think he might have spit but I DON'T KNOW. No one knows. Only Sean and Pittman know and obviously if he didn't spit Pittman isn't going to come out and say he didn't spit the ref make a mistake.

Anyways, no ones supporting him for HIS mistakes, we're just supporting him as a human and that next time he make the right choice. He's come a long way. Without the incident against Pittman no one would be saying anything, and now that happened, you guys are bringing his past history in and saying all this bad **** about him? That's not welcome. We KNOW what he's done but as long as he continues to mature and grow as an adult we'll all love him. It's just hte way it is. He's come a long way with GW. He has role models on the team (MW, LA, CP, SM) who've never been in trouble before so they'll help him out.

About our TE/FB...How many people commit adultery. Just because he plays for the Redskins makes it 10x worse? Clinton (Bill) commited it. Bryant commited it. Apolgize and move on. You can't live in the past, it's useless. You can bring it up all you want but it's not going to change anything. What's happened has happened and the thing we care about is if understands his mistakes. We're just fans. we're not his dad or mom. We can't tell him what to do. He makes his choices and yes, some are bad, but as long as he doesn't repeat it and recongnizes his mistakes, we're all going to forgive him. It's life. You always get a 2nd chance nad we all want him to make the most out of it.

Ahh, good recovery Giants 102180. I'm glad I was up early enough in the morning to catch you edit that post. You came back to add "other than a few outlandish statements." I guess the more you thought about it the more you realized you have to start qualifying things.

I would say that calling your team's greatest head coach, and future hall of famer, Bill Parcells a "homo" on national television and embarrassing your team publicly is pretty significant, huh? Way to brush it under the rug. But that's the classic hypocrite thing to do, you know. Fry one guy at the stake while letting your own man off the hook. It's only when it serves your best interests that it really, really matters. After all, we are talking about the "spitting" incident aren't we?

To bring Taylor's public troubles into this is to forget that every one to wear that Giant uniform hasn't been a saint. To bring Cooley into the mix just shows how condescending and self-righteous you really are. Cooley's troubles (as far as public embarrassment is concerned) pales in comparison to Shockey's. No one is talking about Cooley's "adultery", but people still talk about the "homo" comment. I'm just glad to see that you remembered that and came back to change your post. All things being equal though, we are honored to have someone of your holiness, who isn't afraid to cast stones because of your sinless perfection, gracing us with your presence.

Is this topic really worth your time? I've estimated that you've spent well over an hour reading through and responding to this thread. I'll let you in on a little secret. Sportsmanship is overrated. I would assume that pretty much every player on every NFL roster (including the Giants) has been guilty of "trash talking". That's bad sportsmanship, right? You didn't even mention that. Have you ever complained about the Colts using artificial crowd noise or the Denver Broncos' blocking techniques? You haven't on this board. Admit that you're singling out the Redskins and Sean Taylor because you have an agenda.

I am willing to accept the fact that "bad sportsmanship" is prevalent in the NFL. Guess what, I don't really care. I understand that there is a difference between the NFL and the U7 Pee Wee leagues-You don't. These guys don't have to help each other up after every play, the don't have to keep quiet all game, and they don't have to abide by the rules of society when they're playing football. You mentioned that spitting on someone off of the football field is illegal. SO IS TACKLING SOMEONE. This just proves that when playing football, society's rules do not apply.

Sean Taylor spit on Michael Pittman. He didn't tear his ACL with an illegal chop block. It just isn't as big a deal as everyone wants to make it. All that happened to Pittman was that he had to wipe off the saliva and he had his ego hurt (Was I the only one who saw him sulking on the sideline? :cry: What a loser!).

The Giants suck. Is it just me or do all of their star players look a little weird? Tom Coughlin looks like Gus Grizzwald, but he has the deepest voice EVER! The Giants are a team of freaks and social outcasts. That's why they suck.

Any of you who answer with "F you" will just prove the points above. i am not measured by my team, and remain a fan because I like the victories and trials of sports, not just the opportunity to belittle someone else because my self-esteem isn't there. If you use these opportunities to belittle others who try, you are really the loser. QUOTE]

**** You

:gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck

Archived