Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins good sportsmanship

sawxray

As a Giants fan, I came to your board and posted 'Congratulations' after you beat the Giants in the second meeting of the year. At that time there were several 'thank you's', and a few 'f*ck you's'. Although I was a bit surprised, I have to say you have now convinced me.

I have met some nice and knowledgable fans here. Congrats to you on your win over Tampa.

However, to the obnoxious idiots who are looking for an anonymous way to build some small measure of self-esteem, or go crowing about how big men they are without consequence, I will say this:

ST is a loser in the game of life, until something changes big time. I have read some of these threads trying to make excuses for his behavior, which has been inappropriate on the field and illegal off of it. The good people here are starting to get fed up with this sort of " I am a famous football player and I can do whatever I want and hurt whoever I want" attitude, but there are those (you know who you are) who ought to be ashamed of themselves. Would you raise your kids like this? Aren't you the ones who pointed out TO's behavior? How can you justify backing ST, but get on TO's case?

Because it suits your purpose. So you will sacrifice principle and ethics for this little dose of self-esteem you get when you identify with your team so abnormally. Tell you what-you are not the athletes working your butts off and living through the pain and rigor of being a pro player, but you strut around after a win like YOU won the prize. And many of you are the same ones who were ****ing and moaning earlier this year when you lost several.

And then there are the threads of the Giants being losers, and how hte skins are the real cham's. Right. That ain't how the rules are set up.

So if you want to live by your own rules, then anybody can. And they can steal your car, shoot at you, or walk into your house and assault your wife/sister/mother. The world is based on rules, and sport is part of the real world.

And try to teach your kids, if you have them, about the value of winning and losing. I have no respect for those parents who teach their kids to rub in a victory over their sporting rival after the game. How immature is that?

When your kid loses at something (and no one is perfect, so everyone fails at something), he or she will feel like sh*t, because that is how he or she sees those who don't succeed at a game, or a task, or at achieving a goal.

So to heck with all of you who have to post about the Giants in a mean-spirited manner. I root for my team good or bad, and am happy to see a big improvement this year. if you can only root when your team wins, then show all your anger and bad feelings about yourself when you lose, then you really are in trouble.

That thread about hte Giants is pretty low-class, and there is no excuse when you all are supposedly adults, and have the power to NOT type such demeaning crap. Remember, though, it is demeaning to YOU when you act like that.

Any of you who answer with "F you" will just prove the points above. i am not measured by my team, and remain a fan because I like the victories and trials of sports, not just the opportunity to belittle someone else because my self-esteem isn't there. If you use these opportunities to belittle others who try, you are really the loser.

So post your worst.

To the good fans here, this post is not directed towards you. You know who you are, as well.

I've been to New York sports venues as an out-of-town fan and have been cursed, spit on, had beer poured on me and in one case at a Giant's game needed police assistance to safely exit the stadium. So...hearing a New York fan give a sportsmanship lecture is a lot like having a lobbyist talk about ethics...just doesn't ring very true.

The video I saw didn't show ST spitting on Pittman....it could have happened, but innocent until proven guilty. What I did see was Pittman smacking ST in the face...tell me something...where's your ****ing about that? Oh yeah that's right...you didn't ***** about it. Take yourself back to the giants board and whine to someone who actually cares!

Oh yeah...and enjoy that offseason...sucks to get your ass handed to you in the playoffs at home doesn't it?

Sawxray - under the forum rules, there is a section dedicated to fans of opposing teams. Here's an excerpt:

"We do allow a certain amount of Redskins machismo here, because that is part of the Redskins experience. So please be advised that it’s likely you will encounter, from time to time, critical, disparaging and even mean-spirited statements about things related to your chosen football team. It’s what we do here."

The bottom line is that you will encounter a certain amount of hostility just due to the fact that you're from an opposing team.

Don't let it eat at you...it's the way it is.

We expect the same from other team's boards.

Peace be with you.

OK, so you all had a chance to respond, and this is what i have read:

1. Personal attacks. After the person who said it was ironic that i posted here (obviously without really understanding irony), it IS ironic that some people here support ST's behavior, yet insult someone personally who posts here.

2. Claims that I have no right to post here because I am a fan of another team. If you want to restrict the board, go ahead. Until then, I abide by the rules and regulations, and expect reasonable courtesy and that others abide by the same rules and regulations if they respond. But that's not my call to make, so I will just take care of MY actions. If you don't like it, please don't read anymore. But if you respond, I am assuming you are participating, and are fair game for a response.

3. Mention of other bad actors, Giants or not. So what? I have not defended anyone who acts like this, LT/Shockey/Romanowski, etc, etc. This logic is completely faulty-"OJ killed two people, and was acquitted of criminal charges, so I can kill one". I don't like Romanowski, TO, or some past Giants because of their ACTIONS. People have the choice, and they should answer for their actions. Yes, we all make mistakes in the heat of the moment, but mistakes like drunk driving or waving a gun at somebody, not to mention actually harming someone, are just out of the 'acceptable, OK we can forgive you' class, don't you think?

4. Claims that the inappropriate or unsportsmanlike threads on this board are OK because the Giants lost today. So if I point out bad behavior, you believe you can dismiss those complaints just because the Giants lost? You hardly know me well enough to understand my motives. Regardless, I have seen NO other boards where people taunt the Redskins, or any other team after they lose. Even with the enmity between Cowboys and Redskins fans, I have not seen Cowboys fans writing about the Redskins and their fans being losers after they F up a game. Just bad sportsmanship.

And this part of my thread was ignored because you were all so busy defending ST.

There is other significant hypocrisy here. There was so much hate for TO, but he never brandished a gun at anybody, or spit at another player's face. So what is the difference. And if it makes you feel better, I would be dissing Kerry Collins if he didn't change, and I do hate Bill Romanowski for his actions. I have mixed feelings for LT, although he just hurt himself. HE never got caught spitting in another player's face. He did have significant problems dealing with life, and I feel sorry for him, seeing what happened to him after football, and learning how he acted while he was playing. But I wish him well. And I wish ST, and TO, and others, would just take a breath and listen to others. Which is very, very hard in this day and age of big money and big fame. Yet, these guys are STILL responsible for their actions.

5. Someone posts a few quotes taken out of context. This is the oldest trick in the book. To what was I responding? On the one hand, many, many of you posted that pittman should have been penalized for responding to ST spitting in his face, then you try to bash me for responding to someone else's actions. Take all of my posts on the board if you want, but don't clip and edit and parse. No one buys that!

So please answer a few of these questions before your criticize me, who you hardly know.

Again, my two points are:

Supporting ST's ACTIONS does not promote good sportsmanship.

Starting threads taunting the Giants and their fans for losing is bad sportsmanship.

Sawxray - under the forum rules, there is a section dedicated to fans of opposing teams. Here's an excerpt:

"We do allow a certain amount of Redskins machismo here, because that is part of the Redskins experience. So please be advised that it’s likely you will encounter, from time to time, critical, disparaging and even mean-spirited statements about things related to your chosen football team. It’s what we do here."

The bottom line is that you will encounter a certain amount of hostility just due to the fact that you're from an opposing team.

Don't let it eat at you...it's the way it is.

We expect the same from other team's boards.

Peace be with you.

Bangee-i only posted after reading a bunch of inappropriate stuff that was already here.

Again, my two points are:

Starting threads taunting the Giants and their fans for losing is bad sportsmanship.

i have a confession....I have bad sportsmanship.... :cry:

like giant fans wouldn't start threads about the skins losing.... :doh:

i have a confession....I have bad sportsmanship.... :cry:

like giant fans wouldn't start threads about the skins losing.... :doh:

Even Cowboys fans don't go off the deep end like this.

They were all over Irvin for the recent drug stuff.

Terps'n'Skins-

I absolutely don' t like when Shockey acts like a prima donna. He has improved, but still has room to act better. Yet, he doesn't play dirty, or get involved in off-field armed interactions.

After seeing your age I laughed because basically you just wrote a serious message about your perceived "ethics" for how to be a football fan correctly, and you're uhhhhh 49... you take your Giants football a little too seriously weirdo, you are telling people they aren't good humans because they are talking **** on the Giants....

not to mention the circumstances that its only these select people that will do this sort of **** talking (constant messageboard junkies) and you come here and act as if the entire Redskins fanbase is the same way... Let people do their **** talking since its about 500 people out of the millions that follow a specific team that do this message board ****-talking nonsense, the rest of the fans you would never even know unless you randomly asked in person since they don't partake in this messageboard junk and are perfectly normal people, so let it go... this IS a SPORT that we are talking about, which WE aren't even a part of ourselves, what do you care about what someone on a message board says anyway? We all choose to follow this b.s. so we should all make our own experiences with it ourselves ... I think you should go home and say hi to your wife and kids and see how they're doing because you've probably been alienating them while in your idiotic crack-addict obsession of judging other fans on messageboards. Get normal.

P.S. I wouldn't have even thought to reply to this but seeing that you are a year away from 50 I think it's very funny that you would actually take something like a message board this seriously

So basically you're saying some of the redskin fans on this board are immature and hypocrites...are fans on other message boards more polite to you...if so which ones because you might want to hang out there...i'm not trying to be a jerk its just if these posters bother you so much why even bother

After seeing your age I laughed because basically you just wrote a serious message about your perceived "ethics" for how to be a football fan correctly, and you're uhhhhh 49... you take your Giants football a little too seriously weirdo, you are telling people they aren't good humans because they are talking **** on the Giants....

not to mention the circumstances that its only these select people that will do this sort of **** talking (constant messageboard junkies) and you come here and act as if the entire Redskins fanbase is the same way... Let people do their **** talking since its about 500 people out of the millions that follow a specific team that do this message board ****-talking nonsense, the rest of the fans you would never even know unless you randomly asked in person since they don't partake in this messageboard junk and are perfectly normal people, so let it go... this IS a SPORT that we are talking about, which WE aren't even a part of ourselves, what do you care about what someone on a message board says anyway? We all choose to follow this b.s. so we should all make our own experiences with it ourselves ... I think you should go home and say hi to your wife and kids and see how they're doing because you've probably been alienating them while in your idiotic crack-addict obsession of judging other fans on messageboards. Get normal.

P.S. I wouldn't have even thought to reply to this but seeing that you are a year away from 50 I think it's very funny that you would actually take something like a message board this seriously

Now THAT'S irony.

You judge me based on my AGE? You think I can't judge bad behavior because of my AGE?

And then you rant on with personal comments, suggesting like crack use. Seriously, friend, I can take this board as seriously as I want to. You obviously do!

Another irony is how you mention only a few people are jerks on this board, and then you make personal comments that sure don't make you sound too good.

Please re-read next time before posting. If you think I am too serious, don't bother reading, and don't spend your valuable time posting some personal attack on my AGE.

geez, saw. you came in here after getting worked at home by a wild card team mostly complaining about this boards posters while hardly acknowledging the giants game...and you expected what?

the skins are the last team standing out of the division. that's worth crowing about.

btw- if you talk to bluenitemare, ask him how he's doing. we are worried about him.

Right on, Thinker.

Under the guidance of Gibbs & Co, ST will turn out fine. He wasn't exactly surrounded by role models at Miami, and I'm sure that his "Agent" hasn't helped.

he wasn't surrounded by thugs at miami if that's what ur saying

It's not bad sportsmanship to make posts taunting fans of other teams when these fans come on our boards before the games and post ridiculously inflammatory posts. That's the natural course of things. If you don't like that then hit the road. Stop whining about it. It's our board.

Secondly, you can't condemn a man for an alleged crime until all the facts are known and the case goes to court.

Also, this spitting incident has been covered extensively on this board and many, if not most, posters have agreed that if he did it he deserved to be ejected and that it's not acceptable behavior. To come out and accuse the Redskins fan base as a whole of supporting his actions while finding the man guilty is irresponsible posting on your part. You surely can't expect us to take you serious when you paint such broad innacturate strokes of us. A little honesty in your posts would help your cause.

ps. I don't think you fully understand what irony means :laugh:

Hey how about that game today?

Why are you even worried about this today? I think you are channeling your disappointment at your team's play towards fans of some other team. You probably see your team as the "good guys" and can't understand how a**holes like ST can be on a team that advances when your boys are busy cleaning out the ol' lockers.

You are in fact the worst kind of troll, shrouding yourself in the voice of reason, explaining that you are directing your comments to only the "bad" fans.

What happened happened, and we will deal with it. You will never divide Redskins' Nation.

Enjoy the off-season chumpy.

Hey how about that game today?

Why are you even worried about this today? I think you are channeling your disappointment at your team's play towards fans of some other team. You probably see your team as the "good guys" and can't understand how a**holes like ST can be on a team that advances when your boys are busy cleaning out the ol' lockers.

You are in fact the worst kind of troll, shrouding yourself in the voice of reason, explaining that you are directing your comments to only the "bad" fans.

What happened happened, and we will deal with it. You will never divide Redskins' Nation.

Enjoy the off-season chumpy.

AND...

"To come out and accuse the Redskins fan base as a whole of supporting his actions while finding the man guilty is irresponsible posting on your part. You surely can't expect us to take you serious when you paint such broad innacturate strokes of us. A little honesty in your posts would help your cause.

ps. I don't think you fully understand what irony means"

So which one is it? That I am 'directing my comments to only the bad fans', or that I am 'accusing the fan base as a whole'?

You're entitled to your opinions of what my motives are. It doesn't matter if you are wrong, but that still evades the question.

And making a factitious step of logic that a poster who brings up bad behavior in the 'voice of reason' can be dismissed only by calling him or her 'the worst form of troll' does not erase the facts, or my points. If someone uses reason, they can be dismissed. If they sound too emotional, they are 'too serious', as I was labeled by a recent personal attack.

That is just another form of personal attack. Why don't you look at the posts about 'ST couldn't have done it. The refs and the league are just out to get us', or the ones about 'We are the true champions of the NFC East (even though we lost to the Raiders at home)', and respond to that, instead of saying my use of reason just makes me a troll. Is there any logic to this at all?

As to the irony comment, what ho? Make a point. I am using irony correctly. If you disagree, tell us why.

AND...

"To come out and accuse the Redskins fan base as a whole of supporting his actions while finding the man guilty is irresponsible posting on your part. You surely can't expect us to take you serious when you paint such broad innacturate strokes of us. A little honesty in your posts would help your cause.

I don't give a ratt's rump what you think of us. What we think about our guy is on us.

Again I ask you - why do you care about this today?

I don't give a ratt's rump what you think of us. What we think about our guy is on us.

Again I ask you - why do you care about this today?

seriously...why do u care sooo much about what we think and if we wanna back up ST or not? we're not NYG fans......what we do should not matter to u at all

Those are your points, right?

To make things simple for you: most of us don't support him spitting on other players if it actually is true. All you have to do is read through the threads about the topic to realize that.

The taunting threads are valid even though you don't like them because this is a fan site dedicated to the Redskins and we deal with people posting crap on them like the post of yours that I pulled up which more than justify us rubbing it in your faces ON OUR BOARD.

Lastly, I'm not here to teach you anything, but you use the term irony way too loosely and largely incorrectly. It's actually not " a fly in your chardonnay". :laugh:

And who the hell is us?

Who do you think you are speaking for? You use the 'us' to lend weight and credibility to your argument. There is no 'us,' there is you. You are in fact a NY fan who's team took it in the tail today. You got blanked at home in the playoffs, and you worry about ST?

Archived