Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are we defending Sean Taylor?

Hail26

But, there's one key factor everyone seems to be missing! We've stopped Tampa. It's fourth down. GET OFF THE FIELD! At that point, there's no need for Taylor to get up in Pittman's face and start yapping at him. Frankly, he put himself in the position to be caught doing something stupid! He walks away from the play, he'd still be in the game and we're not having this conversation. He's still an immature idiot and his lack of discipline almost cost us that game! He'll be lucky if he plays next week!

The ref was looking right at him so I would think we would take his words over Sean's. Wilbon in the paper even said that the ref mentioned Pittman would not get a penalty in result because ST's spit. TJ of the bengals even said when he played in Washington last year that ST spit in his face as well.

So it doesn't look good for ST and if he did why would he lie to the coach, that I don't like. :doh:

Number one Jbooma if you actually look at the film the ref seems look just about everywhere but at Sean. Secondly based on many different subjects that have been discussed here in the past your pathological, genetic dispostion for siding with authority is well known. So your taking a ref's word over ST's really doesnt say much. The rest of us who have been acutely aware of the littany of erroneous and botched calls made by the officiating in the nfl over the past few years are not as willing as you to take one referees word as gospel. But hey, You believe what you wanna believe..chief.

Bang it happened at the end of the play when everyone was coming off, so yes it was pathetic. If it happened in a pile then great but it didn't. It was also in front of the ref, he knew what would happen and yet he still did it.

Yeah, that's kind of why I wrote I'm upset with him doing it where he could get caught.

But I have no problem with him doing it in principle. Just that he got caught and was stupid enough to get tossed out of a playoff game.

No problem there. My problem stems from the weepy whiners acting like he just tried to kill his wife or something.

Oh wait, that was Michael Pittman.

My mistake.

~Bang

To me the issue is not about defending our guy. If he did the crime then he must do the time. Fine move on. The issue is about why Pittman did not get a penalty. If the ref could see a spit from 3 yards he sure should have seen a hand from 3 feet. We all KNOW the hit/punch was thrown. The fact that he was spit on (if he was) does not excuse him from hitting a player.

Guest 979guy
...But I have no problem with him doing it in principle.

I do have a problem with it, in that it is a low, ungentlemanly act. I'd rather he'd have thrown a punch. Not that I condone THAT kind of violence, but spitting is probably the lowest form of insult.

I'm glad he was thrown out of the game. I want him to hit the guy with the ball as fiercely as humanly (or otherwise) possible during the play. That I can at least explain to my son. Somehow. What he did though - that I can't support.

This answer is so simple. He's the reason you're still in the playoffs... How many players recover that fumble and actually take it back to the house? That ball could have so easily been recovered by Tampa. Given the way the rest of the game played out, you guys would be at home right now. Sean Taylor can spit on Andy Reid and Donavon McNabb twice a game if he wants to come to Philly.

The ref said he spit, and he got ejected. It was wrong, and he was punished. Now it's over, and let's stop crucifying the guy. It's not a nice thing to do, but it's not a capital offense, and this IS football, a violent nasty game!

Stop the wimpy weeping, guys.

1. On Comcast Sportsnet they have the close up slow-mo replay thing like they always have going there and they talk about it and there is no spit flying out of Sean Taylors mouth or spit on Pittsmans face. He also never blinked or looked down or anything like he was spat on when the flag was thrown or before it.

2. Were defending him becuase Sean Taylor is one of the best Safeties in the league(top 3) and if we dont have him theres NO WAY we win againts seattle.

3. FREE SEAN TAYLOR!!!!!!!!!

This answer is so simple. He's the reason you're still in the playoffs... How many players recover that fumble and actually take it back to the house? That ball could have so easily been recovered by Tampa. Given the way the rest of the game played out, you guys would be at home right now. Sean Taylor can spit on Andy Reid and Donavon McNabb twice a game if he wants to come to Philly.

We would love to come to Philly.....oh wait.....we did...and :laugh:

Don't you think that one of the best referees in the game would have flagged Pittman for the slap if it wasn't for something out of hand, LIKE SPITTING! ST did it. And he should be punished.....I hate to say this, I might not want him as a Redskin. MY Redskins would not do this.

I'm not condoning spitting on anyone, but you're being 10 times ridiculous and nobody really cares about who YOUR redskins are.

Don't you think that one of the best referees in the game would have flagged Pittman for the slap if it wasn't for something out of hand, LIKE SPITTING! ST did it. And he should be punished.....I hate to say this, I might not want him as a Redskin. MY Redskins would not do this.

clearly YOUR redskins would do this. So either get over it or find another team. Sean Taylor is unbeliveable and to say you don't want him because he may or may not have spit in some punk ass bucs players face is the lamest thing i have heard in a while.

So if we discover that, oh my, a defensive player is at the bottom of a pile gouging eyes, or pulling lips, or punching people in the balls, are we to get all weepy over that too?

This is football. A lot worse happens on the field than a petty little spit. he did it, he paid his price for it, Gibbs and Williams will surely ream his ass about it, but enough with ESPN looking to see if he's going to be suspended, enough with the holier than thous claiming how horrible it is...

Seriously,, I ask you guys this.

A man like Dick Butkus, a guy who made this game into what it is, how long do you think he could play in today's league before they threw him out? For redskins fans worrying over the team's reputation and their perception of it,, you think Diron Talbert never spit on anyone? You think Pat Fischer never got nasty with a guy?

Oh we are so damned sensitive now.

Whatever happened to settling it on the field?

I am certainly unhappy with Taylor getting himself thrown out of a playoff game. He ought to know better. He's needed out there. But am I upset he spit on Pittman? Nah, not even slightly. I'm just pissed he did it in plain view where he could get caught.

~Bang

:applause: AMEN Brotha! I'm defending ST because HE DIDN'T DO IT! And, even if he did, so what? I don't give a rats ass about the leagues "perception" of us...it aint' that great anyway. I agree with Bang completely....this is football, for God's sake!

If Taylor spit on Pittmann, he got what he deserved.

The problem that I see is the referee didn't call off-setting penalties. I'd taken a swing a Taylor or anyone else for spitting at me too. The referee's job is not to do what he feels is right though; his job is to enforce all the rules. He doesn't have the option of saying/determining spitting in one player face is wrong; but a head slap is justified in retaliation. Up til now that I've seen, whenever 2 players were in an altercation and the referee witness physical interaction (punching, kicking, spitting, etc.) after the play, both players were flagged and ejected from the game. This is problem with what I saw last night. Based on how the referee handled the situation, it sends the message that a player can justifiably retaliate and not be penalized if he was attacked first. Like I said, the NFL, up til last night, had a "zero tolerace" approach to physical altercations after the play and therefore, the referee should have at least called off-setting penalities, regardless if he thought Pittmann was justified or not. :2cents:

Now that is some funny stuff.

First, ST told Coach Williams that he didn't do it and Coach believes him...so should we.

Second, many of us are ticked that Pittman's retaliation (slap to the face) was not treated equally.

Third, ST has earned the benefit of the doubt with me. He's been a tremendous player this year and I just can't help but to love the guy.

:notworthy :applause:

If Taylor spit on Pittmann, he got what he deserved.

The problem that I see is the referee didn't call off-setting penalties. I'd taken a swing a Taylor or anyone else for spitting at me too. The referee's job is not to do what he feels is right though; his job is to enforce all the rules. He doesn't have the option of saying/determining spitting in one player face is wrong; but a head slap is justified in retaliation. Up til now that I've seen, whenever 2 players were in an altercation and the referee witness physical interaction (punching, kicking, spitting, etc.) after the play, both players were flagged and ejected from the game. This is problem with what I saw last night. Based on how the referee handled the situation, it sends the message that a player can justifiably retaliate and not be penalized if he was attacked first. Like I said, the NFL, up til last night, had a "zero tolerace" approach to physical altercations after the play and therefore, the referee should have at least called off-setting penalities, regardless if he thought Pittmann was justified or not. :2cents:

Exactly. If ST did the deed he got penalized for it, and can probably expect another call from the league lightening his wallet. But Mike Carey does not have the authority to ignore unsportsmanlike conduct on Pittman's part, this is not a discretionary call and to indulge his own opinions on the field is inexcusable. If the NFL is going to follow up on this I expect fines for Taylor, Pittman....and Mike Carey.

Exactly. If ST did the deed he got penalized for it, and can probably expect another call from the league lightening his wallet. But Mike Carey does not have the authority to ignore unsportsmanlike conduct on Pittman's part, this is not a discretionary call and to indulge his own opinions on the field is inexcusable. If the NFL is going to follow up on this I expect fines for Taylor, Pittman....and Mike Carey.

And taking a swing warrants an automatic ejection -- much less swinging at (and connecting with) someone's head

We would love to come to Philly.....oh wait.....we did...and :laugh:

I don't mind the Skins at all. At 6-9 I was hoping that a loss would help us improve our draft spot (which it didn't... somehow we went 6-10 and ended up with the 14th pick) and having been born in 1983 I can't really remember both teams ever being good at the same time. I also really like Taylor, Portis, Moss and Arrington and am rooting for you guys.

I don't mind the Skins at all. At 6-9 I was hoping that a loss would help us improve our draft spot (which it didn't... somehow we went 6-10 and ended up with the 14th pick) and having been born in 1983 I can't really remember both teams ever being good at the same time. I also really like Taylor, Portis, Moss and Arrington and am rooting for you guys.

Was it just me, of did the ST runback of that fumble yesterday look almost exactly like the one against Philly the week before? Almost the same spot on the field, same side, everything...it was eerie...

Archived