Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you trade CP for any single player in the league?

21KillzCowboys

Oboy! Another opportunity for us rare Portis-Since-Day-One guys to just smile at all the "others" who inundated the board for 20+ months explaining all that was so lacking or wrong about the 'skins taking that deal. I have such a clear memory of all their points and objections. :blahblah: :D

I know some will feel the challenge to eventually come out of the closet again to explain how they are "still" very valid in those points. This, btw, is the most fun I've ever had doing a petty "I told you so" since I got here, especially having passed on so many other opportunities. :halo: :laugh:

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Santana Moss.

Oh, wait.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :rotflmao: :laugh:

I might trade him for another real threat at WR. Dont get me wrong, he is a great back, but I believe we could still run effectively with Betts and Cartwright, but another reciever to take the pressure off Moss will probably be our downfall at some point in the playoffs.

dude, cp plays every play. randy doesn't, and he had a not so great year.

am i the only one that sees the contradiction here? besides, would you really trade a back that is one of 4 in history to rush for over 1300 yds in each of his first four season for a back that has never played a down in the nfl and comes out on 3rd downs in COLLEGE?

To defend Randy Moss, he was injured most of the year. When healthy he is the best WR in the game, better then TO, better then Harrison IMO.

No contradition. Reggie Bush has the chance of being special, very very special. Barry Sanders special. Everyone knows you build championships thru the draft. The Cowboys did it, Patriots did it. etc. Outside of Washington, VA and MD, if you ask football fans would you trade clinton for the number 1 overall pick this year, I think more then half would say yes.

I am not sure why Carroll takes him out on 3rd down. All I know is that when he is in there, he makes plays. Maybe its just on short yardage. I mean the Lions took out Barry a lot on 3rd and short and brought in a jumbo package.

I just think that Bush is going to be a stud in the NFL. I am not the only one.

I know alot of you like Clinton cause he is funny, he plays dress up. He blocks well. He runs hard on every play. There are better overall RB out in the league better then him.

No contradition. Reggie Bush has the chance of being special, very very special. Barry Sanders special. Everyone knows you build championships thru the draft. The Cowboys did it, Patriots did it. etc. Outside of Washington, VA and MD, if you ask football fans would you trade clinton for the number 1 overall pick this year, I think more then half would say yes.

Ironic that you say this, because Clinton Portis is already Barry Sanders special. In case you missed it during the game, CP is one of three players to rush for 1300 or more yards in his first 4 seasons as a pro. The other two? Earl Campbell and you guessed it, Barry Sanders.

I know alot of you like Clinton cause he is funny, he plays dress up. He blocks well. He runs hard on every play. There are better overall RB out in the league better then him.

Its all good -- keep on drinking the haterade brother!! We'll send you a postcard from Detroit.

Ironic that you say this, because Clinton Portis is already Barry Sanders special. In case you missed it during the game, CP is one of three players to rush for 1300 or more yards in his first 4 seasons as a pro. The other two? Earl Campbell and you guessed it, Barry Sanders.

Its all good -- keep on drinking the haterade brother!! We'll send you a postcard from Detroit.

To you Clinton is Barry Sanders special. I dont think he is. LT is probably the closest to being Barry Sanders special. Don't get me wrong, he is a good back, but I dont think he is in "greatness" category. His production has fell off the last 2 years in every category but for carries. Yards,TD's, AVG, 20+, First Downs has all gone down.

And I see that you found that new key on your keyboard, the Hater one. I think you already have worn it out :laugh: I have already proven to you once, that I dont hate on Clinton, but you cant get it thru your skull. Keep drinking the kool-aid brother! and btw, nice chopping on the sig!

Not a chance. Not only is he a game changing player, but a young leader. A young leader that can help shape this team for the next decade. Not only that, but I love his personality. Overall, a standup player, and I hope he stays for a long time to come.

To defend Randy Moss, he was injured most of the year. When healthy he is the best WR in the game, better then TO, better then Harrison IMO.

I am not sure why Carroll takes him out on 3rd down. All I know is that when he is in there, he makes plays. Maybe its just on short yardage. I mean the Lions took out Barry a lot on 3rd and short and brought in a jumbo package.

I just think that Bush is going to be a stud in the NFL. I am not the only one.

me liking clinton has nothing to do w/ dressing up believe me. i just don't see how you can say on one hand that it's pretty easy to obtain a rb, and on the other hand say you'll trade your 1500 yd back for a rookie. bush will bust.

To you Clinton is Barry Sanders special. I dont think he is. LT is probably the closest to being Barry Sanders special. Don't get me wrong, he is a good back, but I dont think he is in "greatness" category. His production has fell off the last 2 years in every category but for carries. Yards,TD's, AVG, 20+, First Downs has all gone down.

And I see that you found that new key on your keyboard, the Hater one. I think you already have worn it out :laugh: I have already proven to you once, that I dont hate on Clinton, but you cant get it thru your skull. Keep drinking the kool-aid brother! and btw, nice chopping on the sig!

:laugh: I don't purport to be a graphics artists...I just do it for ****s and giggles. So insulting my sig is pretty pointless! I don't even know what "chopping" is...:laugh: Way to turn a football argument into a personal insult though...nicely done!!

And I just showed you a statistic that neither Shaun Alexander or LaDanian Tomlinson can claim -- only Portis. He and Barry are 2 of 3 guys to ever do it. Portis is a "great" back. The Redskins are traditionally a smashmouth, run-first team. For Portis to be the single-season yards leader says a lot.

And give me a break -- Portis had 79 and 76 first downs in his first two seasons...he has 74 this year. Yeah...TREMENDOUS drop-off. :doh:

The fact of the matter is, CP is becoming the heart and soul of this team. He has placed them on his back and carried us into the playoffs. Not only would trading him upset the team's chemistry because he is so vital in the lockeroom, we'd be losing one of the most versatile backs in the NFL.

Don't forget -- he also came extremely close to 5000 yards in 50 games...which I don't think anyone else has done (I could be mistaken). He was off by like 47 yards or something. That is insane. In fact, for his career, Portis is averagine 98.83 yards per game. Shaun Alexander is averaging 81.43 yards per game over his career, LT2 is averaging 93.18 yards per game. Just for reference, Barry Sanders averaged 99.8 yards per game, Emmit Smith averaged 81.22 yards per game, and Sweetness averaged 88.03 yards per game.

Oh, and if that weren't enough for you, LT2 has a career 4.3 ypc average, Alexander has a 4.6 ypc average, and Portis is at 4.7 for his career. Payton had a career 4.4 ypc, Smith 4.2 and Barry 5.0.

So Portis definitely stacks up with some of the greatest runners after 4 seasons. I don't see how people can continue to hate on him and not admit he is a great back. 1500+ yards in 3 out of 4 seasons is AMAZING. LT2 hasn't done it...Shaun Alexander hasn't done it. But guess who has!! Yep, ol' Barry. Emmit never did it, and neither did Payton.

Read what Earnest Byner said in response to my question below...

Let's say that in 3-4 years from now Portis becomes our MVP (or if we trade him, the MVP for another team). Would we look back and regret the existence of this thread?

I'm behind Portis 100%, he's given it all he has. If Byner thinks we have only seen the tip of what Portis can do, let's give him the time he needs to prove himself... he's only.... 24!

I can easily see our O-Line gelling even more and becoming more powerful, to the point where we become like Kansas City's O-Line, creating huge gaping holes for Portis to run through.

---

From VintageGold

Now that we're in two year two of the Portis/Bailey trade, do you feel we got the better end of the trade? What skills make Portis' a back worthy of such a trade? What was your role in the trade?

Earnest Byner

Quote:

Well, first of all, he’s a very talented individual. This guy can do some things that can wow you. Case in point, the run against Philly late in the game. A spin move, darting around the sideline, diving into the end zone – this guy has freakish talent. But also the guy also has such a strong mental game. He has the capability of taking what he is said on the field, and not necessarily working at it in practice, and is able to carry it to the game. He’s a very very talented individual. And yes, the trade was worth it. A lot of teams say we gave up too much, gave up Champ, gave up a 1st rounder, gave too much money. But no, this guy has more than fulfilled his end of the bargain. You can look at the last 5 games and how much he’s contributed as well. And the reality is, this is not the best he is gonna be. He’s going to be a better player. He’s going to be better. We will actually reap the rewards from this 3 or 4 years down the road because this guys going to get better and better because he’s still developing.

With all that CP does for this team:

1. 1500 yards, 10 TD's

2. Tough blocks

3. Team leader

4. Locker room and media day MVP

5. 24 years old!

Is there any player in the league you would trade for him? The other elite running backs this year (Alexander, Tiki) are 29 and 30 years old. Even Larry Johnson is 26. Clinton probably has 7 or 8 great years left, hopefully all in DC.

At the beginning of this season, I would have said LT is the best overall, but after watching CP grow and mature into this system, I honestly believe CP is a better back. Next year, I think CP finally gets the elite superstar recognition that he deserves - It all comes with a winning team!

The only player I would consider in a straight-up trade would be Carson Palmer. I think he is going to be the stud QB in this league in the near future. Even as I type this though, I don't think I would do it.

Clinton Portis >>>> Chump Bailey + Tater Bell

Game prediction:

Skins 24

Bucs 13

:dallasuck

Nope CP has been my favorite player since he came into the league. Yep. even when he was @ Denver, I used to try to get my boys to watch him all the time, When my favorite player came to my all time favorite franchise, nothing could have been sweeter.

Manning

Brady

LT

Freeney

S. Alexander

E. James

Randy Moss

M. Harrison

Larry Johnson

Reggie Bush :o

A. Boldin

Walter Jones

Julies Peppers

Rod Coleman

I guess what im trying to say, is that its not as easy to find good pass rushing ends or game changing QB's or great OLineman then it is to get a pretty good RB.

I dont care about how someone is on Thursdays on media day, I dont care bout dress up. I just want someone to produce.

1500yds 3out of 4 yrs and the year he didnt he got hurt. Is that not Production?

Another a**hole post that does not dignify a response. Let a team player like Clinton stay why compare him to anyone or trade him, why belittle the fighter who helped us turn around the franchise. If anyone wants to join us let them do so on their own merit. We dont want to trade him, period

Archived