Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1000th Post - A Return to Glory

s0crates

My 1000th post! (sorry, I know its a bit long).

Once upon a time, during Joe Gibbs first tenure, The Redskins were among the league's best teams. They won 4 NFC titles and 3 World Championships in a ten year span. With this legacy to his credit, Joe Gibbs retired in 1992, ending his hall of fame career.

In the years between Joe Gibbs retirement and his return, the Washington Redskins amassed a miserable 64-101 record. This record was made especially painful by the memory of Gibbs' amazing 124-60 run. Those miserable in-between years saw our beloved Redskins among the league's worst teams. They had gone from an elite Championship contender to a pathetic mess.

When Joe Gibbs returned, he inherited a 5-11 team that was plain terrible. In his 11 year absence the Redskins had atrophed into one of the leagues worst teams. They were every bit as bad as perennial laughing stocks like the Lions, Browns, and Cardinals. They had only one winning season over this period. They were unable to win division games, they were frequently blown out, and, worst of all, they were unable to defeat the archrival Dallas Cowboys. They had beaten the Cowboys only 6 times in 22 meetings and managed only a humiliating 29-55 divisional record. They had only one playoff appearence in 11 years. Often times, they weren't even competitive. To put it bluntly, The Redskins were bad.

The glory years, which had brought 3 Lombardi trophies, were only a fading memory. The Burgundy and Gold had lost its luster. Those of us that remained fans were hopeless homers who lived on memories of a bigone era. It was amidst this turmoil that Joe Gibbs was coaxed out of retirment. The only way to return the fallen franchise to its high pedestal was to bring back the man who had placed it there.

Washingtonians rejoiced because our hero had returned. Unable to see the Redskins as anything but the losers they had become, many people didn't appreciate the magnitude of this event. Those who remembered Gibbs' first tenure, however, knew better. No longer would we be a mockery. We would be restored to a team worthy of its proud heritage.

In only two short seasons, what the believers knew to be true has come to pass. Those who saw the Redskins as the mere losers they had become are being reminded of what made Gibbs a legend in the first place. Gone are the days of losing to divisional foes. The Redskins are a remarkable 5-1 against the division, including a three game divisional winning streak to finish the season. Gone are the days of losing to archrivals. The Redskins have completed their first season sweep of the Dallas Cowboys in 10 years. Gone are the days of being losers. The Redskins are 10-6, playoff bound, and as good as any team in the NFC.

The 2005-06 Washington Redskins resemble the teams of the glory years much more than the teams of the dark ages between Gibbs' tenures. They are exhibiting all the trademarks of a Joe Gibbs coached team. They are team oriented and character driven. They run the ball well, control the clock, protect the quarterback, minimize mistakes, play smash mouth defense, and finish strong. Speaking of finishing strong, they are riding a five game winning streak into their first playoff appearence in 6 years (and only their second since Gibbs left). Watch out for the Redskins in the postseason, too, because they are 10-2 against conference opponenets this year. Oh, and Gibbs has a pretty good 16-5 postseason record as well.

Regardless of what will happen in the postseason, this much is certain: Joe Gibbs is back and The Redskins are a contender again. Let the league take notice.

It's amazing how quickly it has happened. Only 5 weeks ago I was forced to admit that this rebuilding process was going to take longer than we had hoped. I guess the Redskins had to hit rock bottom before rising to the top. They are now winners. They don't beat themselves. They don't fumble the football 5 times per game. I don't have to fear the worst on every play. Gibbs II is a success! Thanks Joe.

Nice post man.

100% accurate too.

One thing I haven't seen alot of posts about was his last departure, and his final one three years from now.

When Gibbs retired, even though they knew about it, it was like they weren't prepared for it in advance. Look at the mess we have endured for a decade.

Now, with the 3-yr deal with Williams, we are definately grooming our team for the future. Williams will definately kick major booty for the next three years, and he WILL be our next head coach.

Learning from Lord Gibbs, is viable evidence that we are finally looking ahead to the next 5-10 years.

"We are building this Frankenstein monster out in this garage here." - Alice Cooper.

Hail!:point2sky

well not 100 percent accurate but close we had 3 winning seasons at 9-7 8-7-1 and 10-6 only the 10-6 plus the overall record was wrong there should be a tie in it since we did tie one game but id like to forget that game as it most likely cost us a playoff spot

well not 100 percent accurate but close we had 3 winning seasons at 9-7 8-7-1 and 10-6 only the 10-6 plus the overall record was wrong there should be a tie in it since we did tie one game but id like to forget that game as it most likely cost us a playoff spot

I stand corrected. I forgot about 1996 (9-7). :doh:

I don't really consider 8-7-1 a winning season though. :rolleyes:

Regardless, the total wins and losses are 100% accurate, and they are enough to tell the same story. Surely, you are not disputing my main contention that the dark ages between Gibbs' two tenures were an abismal mess.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check this sight out, you seem like the type that would dig it:

http://www.webskins.org/almanac/winloss/results.html

Looking back on "the dark ages", I now realize what a "pathetic mess" it accually was. I can't believe I had faith in guys like Trung Candidate (as our starting RB-Are you kidding?:doh:) and the Florida QBs. No wonder the national media laughed at us. That was a joke. I still can't believe that Steve Spurrier was our head coach. Redskins history from 2000-1999 is just so bizarre. Michael Westbrook and Albert Connell dropped off the face of the earth. Darrel Green retired. We brought in Deion Sanders AND Bruce Smith (too bad they weren't any good:rolleyes:)-*argueably* the BEST PLAYERS EVER AT THEIR RESPECTIVE POSITIONS.

We had a weird coaching carousell, we let our only good offensive player walk (Stephen Davis). As you mentioned, by were swept by the Cowboys EVERY YEAR.

Uhhhhhh... Thanks Joe :cheers:

Archived