Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We would have had the 22nd pick...

AKM311

So with that in mind, do you like or dislike the trade for Jason Cambell.

To me its starting to make sense to me as we have a QB for the future, and if you look at all the teams in the playoffs, each team has a QB that has grown with the team. No one year wonders or anything.

Thoughts?

Call me crazy, I still wish Ramsey would have played this year, I know Brunell had a good year and all, but I think Ramsey could have as well. Better system then last year and just given a full year were hes not sitting on the ground after every play I think he could have been good. I could be wrong. I would have liked to see us take Mike Williams were we got Rogers and then a corner with the 24th pick, like that kid Denver got, isn't he a Williams to? Or not even have traded for that late first round pick. Then if Ramsey didn't pan out, I think we could have addressed the quarterback issue this year, I really like Quinn. Not taking anything away from Brunell and I know we are in the playoffs which is great and I support him 100%, I just think we could have done it with Ramsey. To me sometimes it feels like Brunell is too cautious. Which I know thats why he only has 9 picks instead of 29 but again all just opinion. Very proud of the Redskins this year. Very proud to be Redskins fan. Can't wait for Saturday!

Vince Young? :D

I have had the "pleasure" of watching vince young many times here in TX. He is the most overrated QB I have ever seen. While his completion percentage is fairly high, it is only because of dump-offs. He loses his accurracy past 10 yards. He will become a stronger version of micheal vick, who has yet to do anything truly worthwile.

I take Cambell over Young any day of the week. Cambell is a QB who can run with the ball. Young is a running back who can throw the ball. There is a big difference.

I didn't mind the trade to get JC at the time. I was of the opinion that if Gibbs wanted him, that's enough for me. But in defense of alot of folks who did rip the move, at the time we all thought Patrick Ramsey was going to be the guy. Since Patrick is still relatively young, it didn't seem to make sense to trade for a young QB "of the future" when we had Patrick already in place.

Now that Patrick appears to be on the way out, the move to grab Campbell looks even more brillant. He's been in the system for a year and has been able to watch MB and PR play. If we didn't draft a QB last year, we certainly would this year with PR probably leaving so we got our QB of the future a year early and thus he'll be ready to play that much sooner.

It does certainly appear that the trade to get Campbell, just like pretty much every personel move made by Joe Gibbs as President of Football Operations, when looked at after the passage of a little time, looks awfully good.

I don't know that any of us can have a very educated opinion on Jason Campbell at this point ... he played vastly different from season to season in his college career and hasn't thrown an NFL pass. However, the intention of the trade and potential for it to be good are very clear ..

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING depends on whether or not Campbell pans out. Does anybody have any idea if he's going to be any good?

Watched every college game he played, he kept getting better...started looking like another Cunningham. What worries and frustrates me is his sitting for so long. Like I've said there are many lesser talents starting for teams.

The thing I liked about Campbell was he had a great passing percentage 60%nearing 70% of his passes during his time at Auburn. But he hasn't played a down in the NFL yet. Had another team drafted him, would Jason be starting now? Maybe, maybe not. The great thing about the situation is Campbell is being brought slowly into the fold until he is ready to play like Mark Rypien and Stan Humphries were.

This trade turned out about as good as Gibbs could have hoped.

Gibbs is the only coach to win three superbowls with three different qb's and has earned the reputation as one of the best system qb developers in the history of the game.

In Campbell, he gets a young but mature quarterback with the physical tools to excel in his complex system. The best thing Campbell has going for him now is experience.

Gibbs has never trusted young or inexperienced qb's to run his system, so any heir apparent to the qb position in washington would have to spend a year or two learning the system from the sidelines in hopes of gaining the confidence of the coaching staff.

Mathematically on a draft value chart, a trade for a third round pick in '05 + #22 in '06 for the #25 in '05 is roughly even depending on how much you discount a first round pick now vs later.

The decision to trade for Campbell was an excercise in patience. Gibbs is placing his best bet at developing a young qb for the future while still allowing the franchise to win now.

I like it considering right now we are the lowest seed team in the playoffs and that means we get the twentieth pick. Considering we would have spent it on a QB anyway, I dont think there was going to be a Campbell level QB in the low first round this year, I think that if the season ended today, we would have given up five spots in the draft, a third rounder, and a fourth rounder this year, and in exchange campbell got a year of maturation and he will get a taste of the playoffs just be being on the sidelines.

Archived