Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lenny P: on LaVar.... splat

bubba9497

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2275150

• Even after the Washington Redskins and LaVar Arrington avoided what promised to be an ugly arbitration hearing this spring, by reaching a settlement of their grievances over a disputed $6.5 million, it was clear the relationship between the team and its onetime Pro Bowl defender was irreparably fractured. And now that Arrington's six-year tenure with the often dysfunctional Redskins is nearing an end, it's obvious there won't be any sort of olive branch extended.

Arrington is due a $6.5 million bonus in July, and compensation of about $12 million for the 2006 season. Given that the Washington defense succeeded without him for much of the past two seasons, owner Dan Snyder isn't about to fork over that kind of cash for an often-injured 'backer, even one with three Pro Bowl appearances on his résumé. And Arrington, who acknowledged this week that he is ready to move on, and even suggested he might just walk away from the game entirely, isn't about to cut the Redskins any kind of break.

"I restructured my contract (before) to help the Redskins," said Arrington, who has hinted that he was benched early in the season as retribution for his 18-month battle over money he feels was missing from the eight-year extension that he signed two years ago. "Do you think I'm going to do that now? Of course not."

The offseason challenge for Arrington, after he is released, will be to find a team where he can sign a one-year, incentive-laden contract, and a defense conducive to his strengths. He has mentioned San Diego (where former Redkins coach Marty Schottenheimer is the boss) and Pittsburgh (his hometown) as potential teams for which he could play. But right now, taking off from a Redskins organization that no longer has any use for him clearly is more important than his eventual landing spot, it seems.

• Officials from the Washington Redskins and the Tampa Bay Bucs weren't exactly thrilled with the people who operate the league's on-line apparel site, NFLshop.com, this week. The site was accepting orders for caps and T-shirts which proclaimed the New York Giants and Carolina Panthers the champions of their respective divisions. One big problem: The Bucs lead the Panthers in the NFC South race and can clinch the division crown with a victory over New Orleans on Sunday afternoon. And the Redskins can still steal away with the NFC East title if the Giants lose at Oakland on Saturday and then Washington wins at Philadelphia on Sunday. The apparel, advertised as official "locker room" gear drew the attention of angry fans from the Redskins and Bucs and did not sit well with management types from the two franchises, either.

Man, with all of the different qoutes from LaVar coming from like 18 different newspapers, one must wonder how LaVar fits practice into his busy schedule.

He must just sit outside at Redskins park all day and answer questions, and maybe he lifts some weights on Mondays. :)

Man, with all of the different qoutes from LaVar coming from like 18 different newspapers, one must wonder how LaVar fits practice into his busy schedule.

He must just sit outside at Redskins park all day and answer questions, and maybe he lifts some weights on Mondays. :)

It's all rehashed BS. Everyone wants a piece of the controversy.

Does he honestly believe we're just going to release him? I think we might shop around first. But that's just me.

What do you think we're going to get for a guy who has been injured the better part of the last 2 years who looks like a total "me" guy right now with all this crap coming up on the eve of the Skins biggest game of the last 6 years. Truthfully, I'd rather wait till June 1st, cut his arse, and be done with it. He's damaged goods right now, not only physically but mentally as well as everybody is seeing what a headcase this guy can be. Give me players like Marcus Washington, C. Griffin, & Sean Taylor, who has matured more in the last 6 months, than Arrington has in 6 years. Ship Arrington to the Saints, so he can be the star on losing team again, that should make him happy.

You know in all of this there seems to have been a forgotten factor. The grievance settlement. If I remember correctly it was heavily incentive based, and a large portion of that was based on games played etc. So the Skins simply don't let Lavar play and they don't have to pay him the settlement money. Lavar's not happy about this for reasons that should be obvious. There is also a stipulation that gives more settlement money based on the probowl. It's possible that the reason we have not seen Lavar as a blitzer and generally not played to his strengths is because they wanted to make sure he had no shot at getting a suprise probowl nod like Trotter did last year. The fact that the settlement was so biased towards the Skins tells me that the Postons had no proof of any wrongdoing by the skins. I think management just wanted this to be over and took the shorter way out. they knew this could be a distraction and also knew they would most likely part ways with Arrington after this season, so the settlement offered them an easy way out.

To me this whole situation falls squarely on the shoulders of two men. The Poston Brothers. They inflated their statements of the contract figures to Arrington, and then when things did not jive they claimed they got ripped off. They lied, quite simply, to protect their own asses and they continue to do so even as their client, whose interests they are supposed to serve, is losing his job, and possibly his career by believing them. If you think about it though, it would actually be in their best interests for Lavar to move on, especially to get cut. They already have their cut from his original contract, if he is traded under that contract, however unlikely that may be, they would gain nothing. If he is cut however, they get to negotiate a new contract for him and reap the subsequent rewards. Curious huh? How they have encouraged him to do all these things that sabotage his relationship with the team?

Think about it. The Redskins organization has absolutely nothing to gain by trying to hoodwink one of their own. There is no way that I'll believe that the 6.5 mil was ever agreed to by the skins for one simple reason. It would have been an abolute cap killer of the highest magnitude, in a season where we were already looking a bit tight on cap space. It simply makes no sense.

I wish Arrington would just realise who he has been screwed by. It's so obvious.

In the end he will go because his contract was way too much for one player who proved to be replaceable. It's nothing personal, or at least not entirely personal on the management's part. You just can't justify his salary based on his production and this coaching staff made that mainfully obvious last year. The tea made a mistake in the past, and now Arrington has to pay for it. Not entirely fair, but he has been more than adequately compnsated so I can't feel too sorry for him. I know Lavar wanted to be one of those guys who play their whole career in on place, but ultimately it was not meant to be. Even if he had dropped the grievance he was still on the way out. In fact that may be one reason he continued with it, he saw the writing on the wall and decided to take everything he could out thedoor with him.

I do think it could have been handled better by the team though. He may be replaceable, and he may not be here next year, but he is here this year and is sure as hell better than Warrick Holdman. He should have been playing more and they should have been using him more effectively from the moment he got the go ahead to play. It's always inthe best interests of the team to field you best players.

• Officials from the Washington Redskins and the Tampa Bay Bucs weren't exactly thrilled with the people who operate the league's on-line apparel site, NFLshop.com, this week.

Why would the officials of the Bucs and Skins give a rat's patooty what they sell at NFLshop.com? I can understand players getting fired up about it but if anything it would seem that Gibbs and Gruden now have some bulletin board material. My guess is that if the Bucs and Skins win their divisions then they will probably print up new T-shirts.

Feeshta - I completely agree with you. Last time I checked, you need to initial each page of a contract. You gotta read what you sign for and I am sure that it is not above the Postons to tell Arrington that things are in the contract that really weren't.

The problem is he was annointed Mr Redskin and was able to bypass the coach and GM to Danny before Joe Gibbus Maximus came to town.

Now he is in the correct place where football players belong in the chain of command and it must be a shock to him after years of not hearing no here.

He has been well paid while here so I dont want to ere about the skins being cheap.

Feeshta - that has to be the most logical explanation of the situation. The Postons have everything to gain by ruining his relationship with the team. If he stuck out the contract to term they are not as compensated as they would if he were to be a journeyman.

Come to think of if, it smells more and more like the TO saga. TO fires agent after deal with Eagles and hires Rosenhaus. Drew fires TO up because thus far he is not getting his share. No renegotioation, no money for Drew. Drew gets TO to becom a distraction, TO sits, next year TO gets a contract and Drew gets PAID!!

Another thing I meant to point out in all this nonsense was how Lavar gets credit from his syncophants (I'm not talking about his fans, I'm a fan of his) for the hearet-felt Redskin-loving emotions he again displeyed in the Times piece where he feels like he'll just walk away form the game. Yet doesn't he aslo mention to places, SD and PIT, where he could see himself ? Sorry, am I being grounded in reality again?

You know in all of this there seems to have been a forgotten factor. The grievance settlement. If I remember correctly it was heavily incentive based, and a large portion of that was based on games played etc. So the Skins simply don't let Lavar play and they don't have to pay him the settlement money. Lavar's not happy about this for reasons that should be obvious. There is also a stipulation that gives more settlement money based on the probowl. It's possible that the reason we have not seen Lavar as a blitzer and generally not played to his strengths is because they wanted to make sure he had no shot at getting a suprise probowl nod like Trotter did last year. The fact that the settlement was so biased towards the Skins tells me that the Postons had no proof of any wrongdoing by the skins. I think management just wanted this to be over and took the shorter way out. they knew this could be a distraction and also knew they would most likely part ways with Arrington after this season, so the settlement offered them an easy way out.

To me this whole situation falls squarely on the shoulders of two men. The Poston Brothers. They inflated their statements of the contract figures to Arrington, and then when things did not jive they claimed they got ripped off. They lied, quite simply, to protect their own asses and they continue to do so even as their client, whose interests they are supposed to serve, is losing his job, and possibly his career by believing them. If you think about it though, it would actually be in their best interests for Lavar to move on, especially to get cut. They already have their cut from his original contract, if he is traded under that contract, however unlikely that may be, they would gain nothing. If he is cut however, they get to negotiate a new contract for him and reap the subsequent rewards. Curious huh? How they have encouraged him to do all these things that sabotage his relationship with the team?

Think about it. The Redskins organization has absolutely nothing to gain by trying to hoodwink one of their own. There is no way that I'll believe that the 6.5 mil was ever agreed to by the skins for one simple reason. It would have been an abolute cap killer of the highest magnitude, in a season where we were already looking a bit tight on cap space. It simply makes no sense.

I wish Arrington would just realise who he has been screwed by. It's so obvious.

In the end he will go because his contract was way too much for one player who proved to be replaceable. It's nothing personal, or at least not entirely personal on the management's part. You just can't justify his salary based on his production and this coaching staff made that mainfully obvious last year. The tea made a mistake in the past, and now Arrington has to pay for it. Not entirely fair, but he has been more than adequately compnsated so I can't feel too sorry for him. I know Lavar wanted to be one of those guys who play their whole career in on place, but ultimately it was not meant to be. Even if he had dropped the grievance he was still on the way out. In fact that may be one reason he continued with it, he saw the writing on the wall and decided to take everything he could out thedoor with him.

I do think it could have been handled better by the team though. He may be replaceable, and he may not be here next year, but he is here this year and is sure as hell better than Warrick Holdman. He should have been playing more and they should have been using him more effectively from the moment he got the go ahead to play. It's always inthe best interests of the team to field you best players.

I have to give you major props, feeshta. You bring fact, fresh insight, interesting, relevant and not bizarre speculation, and do in a calm, resoned fashion. This is rare in this latest go-around on Lavar. However this all shakes out, nice work and a nice and genuine contribution to a real dialogue. :helmet:

There's Lenny P Pasta-belly at it again!!! LOL!!!

No way the Redskins cut LaVar (Mr. Redsin & QB Killa#56), he said himself that his comments were taken out of context. Why would we cut the best linebacker in the NFL? That would be really stupid! LaVar is the fastest, most explosive, sack machine in the NFL! Did you see him against Dallas? He had 4 sacks!!!

I hate how the media just makes stuff up to make money when it's obvious that there is no way Danny Boy would cut his favorite player in the world!

Have you noticed the fact that Lavar is in all of the team's marketing? That right there is the reason he won't be cut.

He has mentioned San Diego (where former Redkins coach Marty Schottenheimer is the boss) and Pittsburgh (his hometown) as potential teams for which he could play.

Where did he say that? I remember Elfin SPECULATING this, but not LaVar saying it.

Can someone point me the right way or is the guy running his mouth again?

Archived