Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: U.S. Teen Runs Off to Iraq by Himself

spanishomelette

AP: U.S. Teen Runs Off to Iraq by Himself

By JASON STRAZIUSO, Associated Press Writer

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051230/ap_on_re_mi_ea/journey_to_iraq

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Maybe it was the time the taxi dumped him at the Iraq-Kuwait border, leaving him alone in the middle of the desert. Or when he drew a crowd at a Baghdad food stand after using an Arabic phrase book to order. Or the moment a Kuwaiti cab driver almost punched him in the face when he balked at the $100 fare.

capt.bag11012292121.journey_to_iraq_bag110.jpg

Farris Hassan, a 16-year-old-teen from Fort Lauderdale. Fla., poses for a portrait at a hotel, backdropped by the Ramadan 14th mosque in Baghdad, Iraq, Wednesday Dec. 28, 2005. Hassan, a strong history student, chose the Iraq war as a topic for English class and decided to practice immersion journalism, travelling on his own to Iraq, a country where insurgents have kidnapped more than 240 foreigners, killing at least 39 of them. (AP Photo/Peter Dejong)

But at some point, Farris Hassan, a 16-year-old from Florida, realized that traveling to Iraq by himself was not the safest thing he could have done with his Christmas vacation.

And he didn't even tell his parents.

On one hand it was totally irresponsible and heartless towards his parents...but on the other hand, it was pretty damn gutsy and if he really did it for the reasons that he did, I have a hard time getting too mad at the guy. Even if he didn't exactly do that much humanitarian work. (I doubt he got much chance actually).

I wish more people, had his courage, though may not his lack of sense...lol.

Looks like even young republicans seem to be unable to stop themsevles from rushing into Iraq. ;) haha jk

The kid has guts and wanted to see things for himself. Certainly irresponsible for him to leave like that but why would a school want to put his academic future in danger for doing it? I read in the article that the school originally wanted to expel him. :doh:

Archived