Extremeskins

Redskins.com: In From the Cold

Om

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=14140

In From the Cold

December 29, 2005

By Mark Steven

Not all smiles are created equal.

The one I'm sporting these days, for instance, isn't just spontaneously and repeatedly playing across my mug. This one is a steady, warm glow deep in my chest.

Why?

Because the Washington Redskins are relevant again.

Not "just" because they rose up and kicked serious Dallas Cowboy and New York Giant butt over the past two weeks. Not "just" because they are poised to make the playoffs for the first time in six years. And certainly not due to the latest installment of the kind of media melodrama that has shadowed this team for so long. (I love you LaVar, always have; but what were you thinking?)

No, I'm smiling because for the first time in what feels like forever, what the burgundy and gold does on the field of play, in the crucible of late-season NFL crunch time, matters.

For those of us old enough to remember what that feels like, there's a sense of redemption; a feeling that we've come full circle and are, at long last, retaking our rightful place in the world. And for those among us to whom this is all still wonderfully new, all I have to say is, 'You lucky dogs. Ain't no time like the first time.'

Hey, world: Plan on talking NFC playoffs this week? Plan on tuning in to the talk shows and pre-game TV hype? Then be prepared to account for, and deal with, the Washington Redskins.

I admit it: having that reality--that relevance--openly recognized "out there" again feels good. Damn good. We've made a good show over the years of convincing ourselves and the world that we didn't care what "they" said. It's been an understandable and even necessary defense mechanism to respond, "Hey, we don't care what the media or fans of other teams say." We even meant it, to some degree.

But deep down, we cared.

We cared when they poked fun at the annual Norvalian Swoons. We cared when they ridiculed the succession of seemingly overmatched coaches. We cared when they snickered at the brash young owner and the often haphazard-looking approach to team-building. We cared when they chided us for season after season beginning with such promise, and ending in such darkness.

But most of all, we cared that our team slowly and inexorably ceased to matter...that as each successive season moved into December and the real games began, the Redskins weren't simply out of contention, they weren't even part of the conversation.

For the record, it was never a question of losing faith in or love for our team--those things are immutable. And who knows, maybe in some ways the trials of the past few years have even strengthened the bonds. But the truth is it's not always been easy to keep a brave face. Given that Washington was a flagship organization for so long, what at first was a prideful, angry defiance about slowly sinking into irrelevance grew inexorably over the years into a gnawing, icy knot in the pit of our stomachs.

Well, guess what...for every such pit, there is a pendulum that eventually, decisively, swings back. And it's beyond sweet to bear witness when that moment finally comes.

It has. And it is.

A couple of seasons of gathering momentum under the steady hand of a Hall of Fame team-builder, suddenly and decisively bearing fruit. A late-season four game, all-or-nothing win streak. A pair of dominating late-season wins against traditional NFC East rivals to position themselves to clinch a playoff berth...and all of a sudden, the surging 9-6 team from the nation's capital is as hot and relevant as any team in the league.

And everyone knows it.

Like I said, some smiles run deep.

So now there's this little matter of a road game up in Philadelphia with a playoff spot on the line. Yes, there are concerns. We have not lost our heads to the moment.

We know better than to take beating a wounded Eagles team playing out the string for granted. We understand that the game will be played on the road, not the suddenly fierce confines of The Woodshed at FedExField. We are quite aware that the Eagles favor an attacking defense, and how that could impact the game given quarterback Mark Brunell's sore knee and, if called upon, Patrick Ramsey's stepping into a potential maelstrom without benefit of a year's worth of first-team timing and chemistry.

We know these things.

But deep down inside, we also know, based on what we've witnessed and slowly internalized over the past few weeks, that this confident, focused, professional football team is not likely to stumble, not likely to assume, not likely to come up small in the biggest of tests. Not this team. Not this time.

It feels different now. That's not ****iness, it's confidence born of performance. It's not wishful thinking, it's assessment based on observation. It's what fans of good, relevant teams get to feel this time of year, without artifice or apology.

For some, I suspect, the tenacious, foul-breathed little Doubt Monster stills whispers, "This is the kind of game the Redskins lose" in your ear. You have leave to ignore him. In fact, feel free to brush him off and grind him underfoot. These are not "those" Redskins; these are Joe Gibbs' Redskins, on a classic Joe Gibbs December run, riding a wave of momentum and a healthy dose of well-earned athletic arrogance.

The Cowboy Curse? Cured.

The painful record against the NFC East? Reversed.

Norvousness? Not.

I don't do guarantees, but I do call 'em when I see 'em. What I'm seeing right now is a Washington Redskins team that will find a way to win on Sunday. I'm seeing a team that, when the final gun sounds, will have finished the regular season on a franchise-defining five game run, including three straight over the very teams that have made their lives miserable for so long.

I'm seeing a surging, legitimate team capable of playing with, and beating, anyone. And I'm seeing that there isn't a potential playoff foe out there likely to relish the prospect of facing them.

No matter what comes next, fact is the Washington Redskins matter again. No more standing outside the window gazing at the warming fires within. No more convincing ourselves that tomorrow will be a better day. We're here now. We're back.

That's why the smile burns from the inside out. There's nothing like coming home.

Hail.

:helmet:

Professional team.Thats what its all about.WE have ,and not to mention them,but a team that could be compared to The New England Patriots.In the sense that were a blue collar,no ego ,just blood and guts football team that as a fan makes me proud of my team and should make the younger fans proud as well.

For some, I suspect, the tenacious, foul-breathed little Doubt Monster stills whispers, "This is the kind of game the Redskins lose" in your ear. You have leave to ignore him. In fact, feel free to brush him off and grind him underfoot. These are not "those" Redskins; these are Joe Gibbs' Redskins, on a classic Joe Gibbs December run, riding a wave of momentum and a healthy dose of well-earned athletic arrogance.

I was just saying something to this effect to my father tonight. In recent years I would have been more worried about a letdown. However, In Gibbs I Trust and I know he'll have the team well prepared.

Awesome. I think Norvousness should be an official word.

I think this term is in frequent use in Oakland. :)

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=14140

In From the Cold

December 29, 2005

By Mark Steven

Not all smiles are created equal.

The one I'm sporting these days, for instance, isn't just spontaneously and repeatedly playing across my mug. This one is a steady, warm glow deep in my chest.

Why?

Because the Washington Redskins are relevant again.

I just love the beginning. I'm over 50 years old, still remember Gibbs first glory run... and I am giddy this year just with excitement.. and I'm not thinking past Sunday.. I am praying for a win, but it's more what I'm seeing with the team.. that they're "getting it".. getting what Gibbs has been preaching for two years, and they're are believing in themselves.

And for those among us to whom this is all still wonderfully new, all I have to say is, 'You lucky dogs. Ain't no time like the first time.'

So true, so true. I have a niece, her fiance who are experiencing this for the first time. It is so neat to see THEIR excitement.

Well, guess what...for every such pit, there is a pendulum that eventually, decisively, swings back. And it's beyond sweet to bear witness when that moment finally comes.

It has. And it is. ...

and all of a sudden, the surging 9-6 team from the nation's capital is as hot and relevant as any team in the league.

And everyone knows it.

And that's exciting because people can't ignore us. Part of me wishes they would continue to ignore us.. I like sneaking up on people. But it sure feels good.

We know better than to take beating a wounded Eagles team playing out the string for granted.

Amen.

It feels different now. That's not ****iness, it's confidence born of performance. It's not wishful thinking, it's assessment based on observation. It's what fans of good, relevant teams get to feel this time of year, without artifice or apology.

Greenmile - reading this?

these are Joe Gibbs' Redskins, on a classic Joe Gibbs December run, riding a wave of momentum and a healthy dose of well-earned athletic arrogance.

Yup... we've been saying it for two years. Have faith in Gibbs. It can and will eventually happen. And if it doesn't happen exactly the way we want this year.. I will still be thrilled with what has happened and the prospect of next year.

The Cowboy Curse? Cured.

The painful record against the NFC East? Reversed.

Norvousness? Not.

I LOVE that word. It should be put in the dictionary for Redskins Faithful.

Excellent, I wondered why I couldn't keep from smiling so much lately. While reading the article, I couldn't help but think this is just the begining. I don't know what the future will bring for the team but from past experience, I can see a bright future. Gibbs football, redskins football, I'm renewing my DirectTV football for next year now, in the past I would think about renewing, waiver about the expense, then do it out of hope. I'm renewing this year out of confidence that it will be worth it. For the first time in a very long time, I actually am starting to get the feeling that this time if we get to the playoffs, we can actually make it to the Superbowl.

Good post OM. I got that warm glow going too. It makes life better knowing that the Skins are on the warpath once again. You feel secure knowing who the Redskins have as head coach. You just know that the Redskins can play with anybody right now and you feel the electricity in the air, it makes your hair stand up. Now, when they ask; who is your favorite team ? you say "Redskins" and stick your chest out with pride !

This whole idea of the Redskins being back was unthinkable after seeing those Bucs, Raiders, and Chargers games given away like they were.

It is just unbelievable that Gibbs has this team spanking the teams that we usually lose to in December. I think next year Gibbs needs to start this sort of run a little earlier, say in October or November at the latest. :D :D

Om, I waited a day after I first read that to respond. I couldn't believe I literally got a lump in my throat and felt my skin tingling.

It's another part of being someone who found this place. Though I was not here at the beginning, I made it. I have spent my whole life in the west, from Alaska to Mexico to Hawaii but never east of Wyoming. The first years I was a fan, until I was 23 or so, I lived in Alaska. I spent all those years having met maybe two or three other Redskins fans to talk about my team with, and only for passing moments.

While I did run into some fellow ‘skins more often as I moved down to the Pacific NW, it was still a relatively rare experience. But no big deal. I grew up very self-sufficient and autonomous. Then a few years ago I first found a little place on a Post (of all places) Redskins board and after a couple of years going only there, I saw links to this place and started dropping by, mainly reading the news, and just some threads.

These experiences were the first time I found myself amidst such a number of people who knew and cared about the Redksins! Unfortunately, the Redksins were not doing well and hadn't for a long time. All the times in the past I had reveled in Gibbs’ first tenure, I pretty much did it alone in terms of not having other Redskins fans in my area, watching all 3 Superbowls with fans of other teams.

And now I hang out here as the only real internet entertainment site, let alone sports site I allow time for. Here I find a community of 40,000 fans! With access to the players, coaches, and all the Redskins-oriented stuff I could ever dream of, and some I never would have--like Bang! Plus, I get to do it while the 'skins are turning things around with Joe Gibbs back, at a time when I love just about every damn player and coach in this organization. Unbelievable!

And I get to do it among fellows who are reaching out, touching, talking to, and standing right alongside THEM! Yet these guys are one of me! Amazing! I can feel it! I asked a Redskin a question! And he answered it! He said it was a great question! Wow! This place brings out the kid in me. I like that. I do a lot of real serious stuff, and I like what happens when I get here. It’s not just fan-tastic fun, it helps. And then to top it off, I have the privilege to read the work of some of my fellows who have the ability to pen words that take me through a literary worm-hole to right where they are in thought and in spirit. And I know these places. They’re familiar to me. They're home. It was reading this last line that made me want to wait a day to tell you, and all the people who built this site, "thanks":

That's why the smile burns from the inside out. There's nothing like coming home.

Thanks, Om :)

Archived