Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are the rules on touching refs?

#98QBKiller

Everyone saw Steve Smith getting ejected this past weekend. Smith barely touched that ref. Some of the players on the field suggested it was his choice of words as opposed to his tapping the ref on the back.

I was curious as to the rules on touching refs. I've seen players touch refs on the back before and not get ejected.

Does anyone remember Marcus Washington smacking a ref on the ass after a great defensive play in the Dallas game two weeks ago? He wasn't ejected.

Also, does anyone remember when Brett Favre had a flag thrown on him last year because a certain referee couldn't catch a football? Favre barely tossed the football to a ref after the play had been whistled dead and it hit the ref in the face because the ref apparently never learned to catch a football. Brett laughed when the ball hit him and the ref threw a flag out of anger....shortly thereafter,the pentalty was recanted by the ref.

So what are the rules? Is it up to the ref whether or not he wants to throw a flag on a player for touching him?

Guest ComebackKing

I saw that love tap from Washington 2 weeks ago and I thought for sure he would be gone. Guess the ref let it go because I doubt he was saying anything nasty like Steve Smith.

yeah you aren't "supposed" to put your hands on a ref period far as I know. But I guess it's up to that particular official/ref and how he deems the contact..putting your arm around him and talking to him, or Marcus Washington patting one on the backside, the ref might let slide because it's not an attack.

I saw that love tap from Washington 2 weeks ago and I thought for sure he would be gone. Guess the ref let it go because I doubt he was saying anything nasty like Steve Smith.

I think the ref got turned on by it,,But as far as the steve smith incident,he gripped the ref in the back if you see the footage on it smiths left hand gripped the back of the ref so an ejection was warranted.

Well, at first I thought Smith just put his hand on his back which wouldn't be an issue but looking at it again it seemed he grabbed a handful of the refs jersey and gave a little tug to it. It's not a lot but it's more than him simply putting his hand on his back and as most have said, it isn't hard to imagine he said something that really didn't go over well with that ref which did him in.

He does, did you see in the Dallas game when he smacked the ref on the butt after he made a tackle for loss? I was laughing when I saw that. :laugh:

That play was funny as hell. Washington was looking around for a teammate to slap, didn't see any, so he slapped the ref on the ass, lol. I think the ref was just in the right place at the right time on that play, lol. Or maybe Washington was getting revenge for that BS sideline call.

Archived