Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Positive Sally Jenkins Article (New)

frankbones

For the life of me I don't understand this.

When she printed a hot-in-the-loins, adoring column about Deion I at least read the whole thing, appalled at how unprofessional she was but mesmerized as if I was watching a train wreck. Quite a few of her columns are of that sort - poor from a journalistic standpoint and with flawed or no logic, but maddening enough to make you read the thing.

But this...why would the Post print this? I read the first paragraph and passed on the rest. It wasnt badly written - much too fawning to be objective (a common Jenkins trait), ignoring his decline and dismissal from the Jags (who immediately improved greatly under a first-year head coach with completely opposite methods, what does THAT tell us), but overall of decent quality. But who from the Post audience has much interest? As others have said, inject some relevance by drawing comparisons with Gibbs' methods and results. But otherwise, this is all about Sally and reads like an apparently rejected submission to Sports Illustrated. Again, why would the Post grant valuable real estate to this column?

<edit> Full disclosure, when I decided to comment on this article I actually did go back and read the whole thing. Under normal circumstances there wasnt enough there to suck me into finishing it.

I have gone back and read some of her old articles too. She obiviously has no idea what she is talking about, which ultimately makes her articles unreadable and utterly void of insight or useful commentary. If she would stick to statistics and facts she might be ok. But when she writes about team chemistry, team identity, locker-room atmosphere, etc, she has no credibility. When guys like Wilbon try to do the same thing at least we can say he probably played in Highschool or something so he has some idea. But Jenkins obviously hasn't. So what does she base her comments on? Women's intuition? Pure desire to spit in Redskins players/coaches/fans faces?

:mad: All you guys do is give her great post time.Dont talk about her. :gaintsuck

The more we talk about her, perhaps the faster she'll get picked up by some national outlet, and the faster she gets the hell out of Dodge.

She is not a Washington sports writer, that's for damn sure.

And by the way, the Post should probably realize that us reading this article via link from Extremeskins.com (a) ain't sellin more papers; (B) ain't sellin more advertising spots.

She's a real sally, that Sally. :finger:

Here is one more thing to consider- this all may be backlash from the Washington Post / Dan Snyder fall out.

Apparently, Snyder was upset at some of the negative coverage he and the team were getting. He asked them several times to take it easy. When they didn't, Snyder took away most of the tickets he had been giving them for free for years. WPost still holds a grudge for that move.

Here is one more thing to consider- this all may be backlash from the Washington Post / Dan Snyder fall out.

Apparently, Snyder was upset at some of the negative coverage he and the team were getting. He asked them several times to take it easy. When they didn't, Snyder took away most of the tickets he had been giving them for free for years. WPost still holds a grudge for that move.

Thank you :obvious:

I only say that because the discussion of the team's problems with the Post have been very well documented on this Board and elsewhere. Just givin' you a hard time. :)

Even if this article appeared in the NY Times, or even the NY Post, it would still be objectionable. Sally's mastery of logic has apparently not yet evinced itself.

An analogous argument:

Bob comes home every night, yells at his wife, and tells his children that they're worthless. Bob is a successful businessman. Therefore, we shouldn't question Bob's behavior, since it's effective.

This has to stop, we as fans need to write letters, emails, whatever to the Post and get her ass out of there. This is ridiculous, I havent seen an article from her since we started winning. When she finally does its about the Giants??? I barely got through the first paragraph.

Someone please tell her good coaches dont get fired, Coughlin did.

His career record is 68-60(.531), 4-4 in the playoffs.

Write an article about that

This was my letter to the WP a few days ago. Still haven't gotten a response:

Subject: Sally Jenkins

To whom it may concern,

Why do you employ writers on your staff that seem to hide in other cities until they sense the opportune time to pounce on the Redskins? I enjoy reading articles in your paper as long as they are reports, which by definition are "accounts presented usually in detail." I follow the Redskins very closely and I find day to day accounts written by the likes of Jason LaCanfora to be very insightful and informative. However, articles by the likes of Sally Jenkins only appear when the Redskins have had a bad game and often make broad-swooping claims about the direction of the team and its coach. Even more disturbing, they often use misinformed or out-of-context statements to prove an ill-conceived point (ie. "Redskins have 5th easiest schedule in the NFL"). All I ask is for consistency. Does the WP publish articles about President Bush regardless of what his approval rating is? Or does the WP have covert assassin-like reporters that are trained to strike on a moments notice when higher-ups sense weakness or vulnerability? If not, something must be explained to Ms. Jenkins. If Sally Jenkins does not want to write about the Redskins then by all means do not let her. If she wants to write about them, then by all means, insist that she writes once a week so that at the very least her reputation is not damaged by her seemingly reluctant or apathetic attitude regarding the respect for the continuity of a sports season. For every down, there is an up. Tracking this phenomenon is called reporting. Please tell Ms. Jenkins to try it.

I will say this. At least she's writing about something she knows about. She clearly is more concerned about the NY team than her hometown team and follow them a lot more. Living in NYC, as she does, its hard not to get caught up in the media circus surrounding NY teams. You'd think as a reporter she would try though. Still, I dare her to write something about the Redskins the week after a win. The week after the biggest win in 15 years? No she'd rather write about the next game. If we win on Saturday, she'll whip up some expose about Jeremiah Trotter.

Good points in above letter to the editor. I have written them in the past too. Does anyone know how to write a letter to them that they will respond to? Does anyone have her email?

I have read some of her articles in other publications. It is the typical bashing on one thing or another. She even makes reference to how she has a rep for pissing people off and she implies that she revels in it.

I guess that is her whole act. Kind of like what Andy Kaufman did with wrestling. She is Kaufman, the Redskins are Jerry Lawler, and we Redskins fans are the "redneck wresting fans." But at least Kaufman got the crap beat out of him by Lawler. Too bad Sean Taylor can't very well put a hit on her. I would love to see that.

Not to toot my own horn here but I called it. In the "Where's Sally Jenkins" thread I stated that she'll probably write a puff piece on how great a New York Giant is (I said Tiki) and that the column would appear on Wednesday or Thursday.

This hack is so predicatable. Her column is uniformative too. Wow Sally thanks for letting us know that Coughlin is a tough head coach and that the players at first didn't buy into his system but now they do.

Great job Sally, I never knew that. :rolleyes:

One last thing to point out, notice the quotes in this column. I bet in her various "I hate Dan Snyder so I hate the Redskins" columns you don't see a single quote.

It's sad that a columnist who writes for the WASHINGTON Post does not seem compelled to actually go talk to and cover Washington area teams.

Scruffy,

I remember that post and you are right she is so predictable. Its almost to the point of embarassment. Thats what I tried to convey in my letter. I mean, why dont they just make her "Official Opposition Beat Reporter" for the Redskins. At least get it out in the open. She doesn't have to be ashamed to hate the Redskins, just come out and say it already. Enough of this ridiculous reporting (like its so important to let everyone know how tough a coach Coughlin is at this point in the season.)

Archived