Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you noticed this about Antonio Brown?

FunBunch7

On kick offs, I love him. He has taken one to the house already and has been on the verge of several more.

But the punt returns concern me. Several times the last few weeks, he does a couple of no-no's...

In Arizona he fielded a couple inside the 7 yard line which he should have just let go. Against Dallas he "muffed" one that he got back and another one at around the 40 yard line he fielded but was crushed...he definately should have called a fair catch. Then, on one in which he called a fair catch there was no one within 8 yards of him.

He seems to be skittish on punt returns. James Thrash before his injury was calling early fair catches which I know was driving us all crazy.

There needs to be more consistancy in the punt return game if you ask me. I'm a bit nervous when he is back there. But on kickoffs, I LOVE HIM. He is SOOOOOO close to break one almost every time.

I am a huge Brown supporter but I am also not blind, I have noticed all of those things that you just mentioned. His decision making does seem a bit flawed when it comes to returning punts. This type of stuff though is what coach Danny Smith should be and is hopefully spending extra time on with Brown. I just really believe that those errors are very correctable.

Don't get me wrong though...I love AB...he's young and trying to set the world on fire. I Just hold me breath though until he fields the punt. He COULD be the next Dante Hall or better yet, Brian Mitchell. Although Brian Mitchell was an absolute beast...size, strength and quickness.

People don't realize he is 2nd All Time for all purpose yards.

Brown doesn't concern me at all, on punts or kickoffs. It's wierd because at the beginning of the season I had to hold my breath every time he was back to return anything. Now he just looks confident and sure-handed. He's not playing scared and it shows. I'd actually like to see him get some more time at receiver...he looks like a totally different player than the guy we saw dropping passes and fumbling at the beginning of the year.

I noticed the same thing, FunBunch. My guess was that after he got nailed on the punt where he SHOULD have fair caught it, he got an ear full on the sidelines from Danny Smith about fair catching it when in doubt. Protect the ball. I'm positive he fair caught it on the next punt for this reason alone.

I'm not as worried about the fair catching thing as i am about fielding the punt inside the 10 yard line. I'd rather him fair catch it when the other team is pinned, at the very least protect the ball and prevent a TO, but fielding it inside the 10 is a big mistake. Take the TB.

Now he just looks confident and sure-handed. He's not playing scared and it shows. I'd actually like to see him get some more time at receiver...he looks like a totally different player than the guy we saw dropping passes and fumbling at the beginning of the year.

But he DID muff a punt against Dallas...and he DID get drilled when he should have called for a fair catch....and did call a fiar catch when there were no defenders around him. And the rule of thumb is not to field a punt inside you own 10 yard line, rather let it go into the endzone for a touch back.

He's go blazing speed, which is obvious. He IS a threat to take one the distance any time he gets the ball in his hands. But he is FAR from "sure-handed". He also lacks the discipline to be truely great on punts. But, given time, he could be awesome.

I Absolutely noticed that. I was going to start a thread on this yesterday. He is scary back there. One he flat out dropped/bobbled but fell on it. And another he JUMPED in the air and DID NOT even call fair catch.

I love AB but his punt return skills make me feel like he is a ticking time bomb that will blowup in our faces any day.

I know he muffed one against Dallas that bounced at his ankles, but he pounced on it no problem...I wasn't scared. His decision-making is a bit off, but that will come with practice.

What I like is that he looks confident back there. He doesn't want to fair catch, he wants to take it to the house every time because he thinks he can. He's not dancing around anymore like the beginning of the season. He's catching it and taking off full speed into the pile, taking some big shots, and hanging onto the football. I

At the beginning of the year he was playing like he had something to lose...like his job....which he did. Now he's playing like he's got nothing to lose, and I like what I'm seeing so far.

I know he muffed one against Dallas that bounced at his ankles, but he pounced on it no problem...I wasn't scared. His decision-making is a bit off, but that will come with practice.

What I like is that he looks confident back there. He doesn't want to fair catch, he wants to take it to the house every time because he thinks he can. He's not dancing around anymore like the beginning of the season. He's catching it and taking off full speed into the pile, taking some big shots, and hanging onto the football. I

At the beginning of the year he was playing like he had something to lose...like his job....which he did. Now he's playing like he's got nothing to lose, and I like what I'm seeing so far.

He is damn exciting to watch isn't he?

I don't know if anyone else noticed but, after Dallas's lone td Brown damn near took another KR all the way.

sure did. He was one tackle away from taking it to the house. Now food for thought. The Viqueens had a punt return, and kickoff return for a TD in NY no less. Antonio Brown. Go get them man.

Brown doesn't concern me at all, on punts or kickoffs. It's wierd because at the beginning of the season I had to hold my breath every time he was back to return anything. Now he just looks confident and sure-handed. He's not playing scared and it shows. I'd actually like to see him get some more time at receiver...he looks like a totally different player than the guy we saw dropping passes and fumbling at the beginning of the year.

Im going to have to respectfully disagree with you. He looks anything but sure-handed. If you watched the Dallas game then you saw him muff a punt and luckily he was able to recover it. As mentioned at the start of this thread he routinely makes the wrong decisions on punts. I fail to see how you can say he is "sure-handed." I love him on kick offs but he scares the hell out of me on punts.

Anyone else notice Dallas kicked away from him? The opening kickoff was a squib for crying out loud. McBriar had trouble al day partly because he was trying to kick directionally to keep it away from AB. No matter how nervous he makes us, he makes our opponents that much more nervous. That factor alone is going to give us an advantage. If teams are afraid to put the ball in his hands and squib kick it, we get the ball at the 35 minimum. If they try to punt away from him they will punt short as well. He's in people's heads now, and that can only be good for us.

I'm not as worried about the fair catching thing as i am about fielding the punt inside the 10 yard line. I'd rather him fair catch it when the other team is pinned, at the very least protect the ball and prevent a TO, but fielding it inside the 10 is a big mistake. Take the TB.

It isn't a mistake if you think it will be downed inside the 5. More and more, I'm seeing punts downed inside the 5 when players let it go. That is a major disadvantage to an offense. When the football hits the ground, you don't know what it is going to do.

The one in AZ people talk about, you have to remember that the punter CRUSHED that one. Brown probably wasn't sure where he was on the field at that point, and made the best of it.

Personally, I think he'd doing much better now than in training camp, where he was taking chances all over the place. Brown isn't alone with not fair catching when it seems obvious that they should, or chasing after balls that have been kicked away from them. Nothing wrong with that if you can hold on to the ball. I'm happy with Brown back there, and they shouldn't change things.

Jason

Archived