Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs Teams in December

bubba9497

Why do Joe Gibbs coached teams seem to always do well in December?

Because Joe practices them tough from training camp on.. every week.. rain or shine. While other teams take the pads off at mid season, and go indoors to practice... Gibbs makes his guy work hard... though not too long. A fine balance of building strength without injury or wearing the team down.

The past few games it has shown.. the OL & DL are winning the battle in the trenches... the RB's and Cooley are bowling over people, moving piles, breaking tackles. While other teams look tired and gasping for wind... the Skins still look tough and ready for more. Our defense looked 3 times faster than the Dallas O, and hit 10 time harder than any other team they have played in weeks.

When you see Santana Moss getting a big hit blocking downfield... that is toughness baby :D

I know some of us old timers have mentioned it before... but many were leary and skeptical... thinking Gibbs was too tough. Well, we are seeing the results now!!

I think that has a lot to do with it. In addition, by December Gibbs KNOWS his team and exactly how to motivate them. The want to win for themselves, the fans, the team, and most imporantantly, Gibbs himself.

His players don't want to let HIM down. Gibbs gets an extra 10% out of each and every player where the rubber meets the road. Tough, well conditioned, and focused athletes on game day has always been Gibbs' hallmark. Not bad, considering he's got one of the best playoff winning percentages and December records in the history of the NFL.

What was Gibbs' december record last year?

3-2

Dec 5.....N.Y. Giants.........Won 31-7

Dec 12...Philadelphia.........Lost 14-17

Dec 18...@San Francisco...Won 26-16

Dec 26...@Dallas..............Lost 10-13

Jan 2......Minnesota..........Won 21-18

Got half of our wins in December last season.

I agree. I'm not sure of the actual stats, but Gibbs has had a great December record. It begins with a physical toughness that translates into a mental toughness.

As far as the mental part, listen to Gibb's press conference when he mentions that the players were quiet this week. It's an inner strength that this team is starting to build over the last couple of years and will help tremendously with our run to the playoffs...

Here to support you Bubba. :)

Gibbs in Regular Season games that take place in December and January.

1981 3-0

1982 4-1

1983 3-0

1984 2-0

1985 3-1

1986 1-2

1987 3-1

1988 1-2

1989 4-0

1990 4-1

1991 3-1

1992 2-2

2004 3-2

2005 3-0

39-13

:notworthy Thanks

and he is 16-5 in the playoffs

Here to support you Bubba. :)

Gibbs in Regular Season games that take place in December and January.

1981 3-0

1982 4-1

1983 3-0

1984 2-0

1985 3-1

1986 1-2

1987 3-1

1988 1-2

1989 4-0

1990 4-1

1991 3-1

1992 2-2

2004 3-2

2005 3-0

39-13

that's the kind of stuff i like to see. 75% of the games that Joe Gibbs has coached in December have been wins. I love Joe Gibbs. And he won the Nextel this year too.

:gaintsuck

I have seen enough. At this point, I do not care if the Redskins fail to make the playoffs this year. This season was a success by my measure.

Gibbs has built his team. The players believe. The owner believes. The fans believe. The hard part of his second tenure is over. It was a pleasure to watch.

Now I am ready for a good solid 7-9 years of Redskins football.

Bubba has a very good point.

In addition to the physical practices, I also think it is a real testament to the Strength and Conditioning program at Redskin Park.

Gibbs put a lot of work and focus on the offseason program, and guys reported to camp this year in the best shape of their lives. He has stressed the importance of weights and conditioning thru-out the year as well. Gibbs mentioned that for a player to miss a weight lifting session was a "really big deal".

I really think what we are seeing is us simply overpowering tired opponents.

And don't forget games such as week 2. 100 degree Texas heat with stifling humidity, and the team simply has more stamina than the Cowboys at the end of the game.

Make no mistake.... Bubba is 100% correct. Gibbs' December record is no fluke.

I have seen enough. At this point, I do not care if the Redskins fail to make the playoffs this year.

How could you not care? They've worked hard all season to get there, that's like saying you don't care about all that work. I'd be completely psyched to see us in the playoffs this year, it would just be cool to see how far we could go--how well we match up to the best teams in the game. HTTR. Playoffs baby!

Beyond practicing them hard, here are some other factors for Gibbs' December record:

1) Game planning and philosophy. Running the ball, playing great defense and special teams means your team is built to win in less-than ideal weather.

2) Selection of players. Gibbs not only prepares his team by practicing it, he's always preaching about th 4th quarter of games and the 4th quarter of the season and how he's looking for people who play better in those situations. It's not an accident that people like Rod Gardner are no longer here.

3) Steady, consistent leadership. Gibbs doesn't panic. Nor does he attempt to humiliate or excoriate players publicly. Instead, he's tough, fair, and he builds their confidence over the course of time. Rather than panicking or giving in to the whims of the public over who should be playing or what they should be doing, he sticks with what he believes will work and gives his players a chance to grow comfortable with it.

I have seen enough. At this point, I do not care if the Redskins fail to make the playoffs this year. This season was a success by my measure.

Gibbs has built his team. The players believe. The owner believes. The fans believe. The hard part of his second tenure is over. It was a pleasure to watch.

Now I am ready for a good solid 7-9 years of Redskins football.

And with a young up and coming QB..Oh wait, wrong team....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Archived