Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Keeping Pace With Emmitt's rushing record.

SkinsNoles21

Through his first four seasons in the nfl Emmitt Smith ran for 5,699 Yards. Tomlinson ran for 5,899 yards in his first four seasons. Portis has ran for 5598 yards so far in his first four seasons with three games remaining. He is only 101 yards behind Emmitt and should pass that. Portis is quietly having a monster year and i think he could come close to 1500 yards for the season and somewhere between 10-12 tds. Not to shabby

ok heres one for you............how f ing hyped do you get when you read this quote by Sean Taylor

...Sean Taylor on the Cowboys: '’They talk so much crap and they think they own us. I take little things like that and it adds fuel to the fire. By gametime the fire is blazing. We’ll be ready for [their receivers]. They’d better be ready.’’

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><STRONG>wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

ANYBODY could have run for the Cowpiles when Emmitt was running. His starting offensive linemen all made the pro bowl at some time in their careers.

Nate Newton, Mark Tunei, Larry Allen, Ray Donaldson, Mark Stepnoski, and a tackle that I forget his name but he went to about 5 pro bowls. EVERYBODY blocking for Smith was a pro bowler and Troy Aikman was throwing to a pro bowl wideout and pro bowl tight end.

Emmitt Smith was essentially playing on an all star team and many of his runs, if you watch old films, he runs 5 yards through a hole where NOBODY is. He often times runs 5 yards before he is even touched. That would account for a lot of his 7-8 yard gains.

I always though he was a warrior, and a GOOD running back, but he never impressed me as more than a 1100-1200 yard back on any other team.

PS. I forgot. He had a pro bowl fullback blocking for him also in Johnston.

And he also had about the best defense in the league so that they could always run the ball and not be playing catchup and being forced to pass.

ANYBODY could have run for the Cowpiles when Emmitt was running. His starting offensive linemen all made the pro bowl at some time in their careers.

Nate Newton, Mark Tunei, Larry Allen, Ray Donaldson, Mark Stepnoski, and a tackle that I forget his name but he went to about 5 pro bowls. EVERYBODY blocking for Smith was a pro bowler and Troy Aikman was throwing to a pro bowl wideout and pro bowl tight end.

Emmitt Smith was essentially playing on an all star team and many of his runs, if you watch old films, he runs 5 yards through a hole where NOBODY is. He often times runs 5 yards before he is even touched. That would account for a lot of his 7-8 yard gains.

I always though he was a warrior, and a GOOD running back, but he never impressed me as more than a 1100-1200 yard back on any other team.

PS. I forgot. He had a pro bowl fullback blocking for him also in Johnston.

And he also had about the best defense in the league so that they could always run the ball and not be playing catchup and being forced to pass.

yeah but portis has had some good lineman, especially in Denver with their scheme. But, beyond that, what's impressive about Smith's record is the durability. I'm not positive, but I think the shelf life for an NFL running back is on average just over 3 years. He did it for a while, and he did it pretty well. He IS a cowboy, but that doesnt change the fact that his record is impressive no matter who he had blocking for him.:dallasuck

I agree 100%. Portis is extremely underrated.

Agreed. The worst part is that he appears to be extremely underrated by some of us fellow Redskins fans. :doh:

As for Emmitt. I don't view the rushing record as "Emmitt's record". I view Emmitt as a caretaker of the rushing record that Barry Sanders so generously allowed him to have.

:dallasuck

Portis is an excellent back capable of doing a number of things. He continues to evolve in this system. The biggest difference between here and his Denver performances is we have not married up a passing game consistently with his ability to run so his numbers will diminish some because teams can focus on him here where in Denver they were more able to keep defenses honest.

When we get the passing game more consistent Portis will have an explosion for us. As it is, he's an elite back putting up fantastic, historical numbers for our team and for an individual career.

ok heres one for you............how f ing hyped do you get when you read this quote by Sean Taylor

...Sean Taylor on the Cowboys: '’They talk so much crap and they think they own us. I take little things like that and it adds fuel to the fire. By gametime the fire is blazing. We’ll be ready for [their receivers]. They’d better be ready.’’

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><STRONG>wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

:ot:

back to the original post....Portis is a best, he could very well be the backbone of this team for a long time to come. I feel he is very happy here in DC and i think he wants to say. I'm sure Portis, after this season is going to be very happy with his numbers.

To Emmitt's credit, he was not just some average back. He had great vision and was very strong between the tackles. To say that the OL was giving him a 5 yard headstart is just going overboard.

It is 100% true that he got that record due to his longevity, and that Barry Sanders handed it to him on a silver platter.

You must be nuts to think Portis could even come close to Emmitts record. Maybe if he played with Denver's O-line his whole career, but when he agreed to go to washington, he flushed any dreams he might have of that record right down the toilet.

Ain't no way Emmitt gets close to that many yards if he isn't playing behind the greatest O-line in history. You have to have skill, health, and the luck to be with a great team to get close to that record.

You must be nuts to think Portis could even come close to Emmitts record. Maybe if he played with Denver's O-line his whole career, but when he agreed to go to washington, he flushed any dreams he might have of that record right down the toilet.

Ain't no way Emmitt gets close to that many yards if he isn't playing behind the greatest O-line in history. You have to have skill, health, and the luck to be with a great team to get close to that record.

Clinton Portis is projected to gain 1457 yds this season. At his current average of 1468 yds per season, for 15 years (what emmitt played) he is on pace for 22,020 yards rushing. Emmitts was 18,355. Granted the figure is not adjusted to emmitts rate of decline in the last 4 years (we will go with an average of 58% for his last 4 years, even though it wouldn't be nearly as low if not for 256 yds in 03). So Portis' projected adjusted total would be 19,554, surpassing Emmitt by 1199 yards. So it is entirely feasible that portis will pass emmitt

Off topic or not, he is gonna have a monster game.

Nice name, WeownU

14-13

Through his first four seasons in the nfl Emmitt Smith ran for 5,699 Yards. Tomlinson ran for 5,899 yards in his first four seasons. Portis has ran for 5598 yards so far in his first four seasons with three games remaining. He is only 101 yards behind Emmitt and should pass that. Portis is quietly having a monster year and i think he could come close to 1500 yards for the season and somewhere between 10-12 tds. Not to shabby

And I'm sure Portis entered the league younger than Emmit, so he will be around for a couple of more years (no big injuries of course)

I agree 100%. Portis is extremely underrated. A good game against the Cowboys this week would really prove him to be the elite back that we know he is.

Bingo. I want him to have his biggest game of the season against the Cowboys. This is why we brought him here. To lead us into the playoffs and beyond, but DALLAS has got to be destroyed.

Archived