Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The offense.... it's Brunell.

Die Hard

Die Hard, one thing people tend to overlook in this thread is that Dallas is not exactly the greatest team in the NFL. I think that's partly why people are taking issue with your proclamation that we will get "killed."

They too lost to Oakland earlier in the season, and they only put up 13 points. They had to rally from a 12-point deficit to beat San Francisco. They struggled against Detroit a few weeks ago, in a game where Drew Bledsoe only threw for 110yds. They only scored 10 points against the Giants two weeks ago. We know Mark Brunell has thrown 5 interceptions in the past 5 weeks, but guess what, so has Drew Bledsoe.

The Cowboys looked pretty good pulling out a win against Kansas City, but they've only won 2 road games all year, and both came right down to the wire.

The Redskins might not look like world beaters right now, but we don't need to beat the world. We just need to beat the Cowboys. And lucky for us...

:dallasuck

THANK YOU!! I pointed this out awhile back, but all it earned me was chastisement from Die Hard. Dallas is not a good team. In essence, they are dead-even with us at 8-5 with this game. :applause:

I should stop using that word. I think it just comes out because on that Monday night, after those 56 minutes of unadulterated HELL, I felt.... lucky.

I'm not saying that we'd be "lucky" to win against the Cowboys, I just mean that if we get beat up this sunday like we did for those 56 minutes in Texas Stadium on MNF, we're not gonna win it with 2 passes to Santana Moss.

Maybe I'm the ultimate homer, but even though our offense could not do squat against the Cowgirls for the first 56 minutes, I never once thought we were out of it, simply because of the way our defense was playing.

Unlike a kickoff return... which is simply good fortune. However, it's unfortunate that the Redskins needed some good fortune... to defeat the Phoenix Cardinals.

Or you could say that we needed a lot of misfortune (4 ints (1 was called back) and 2 fumbles in the first half) for it to be a close game. After the half we took care of business and outscored them 14-3. We would have scored more, but Gibbs went into 4th quarter prevent offense mode (my real concern for this game.)

Well I have not posted in a while...probably because I say the same thing everytime I post...I guess I will say it again.

You are correct that Brunell hinders the passing game. Earlier in the season the two long bombs against Dallas helped us out...untill D's figued out that we can only do two things...a hail mary or short dump off. Brunell cant throw the deep intermediate routes.

The best he can do is not lose the game for the Skins. He just can't win the game...and sometimes he will lose it for the skins...mainly through inablity...

His big positive was supposed to be no turnover...sure before Sunday he only had 5 int's...but how many fumbles has he had due to hesitancy in his passing game. He knows what throws he can and can't make.

Every QB will throw int's and fumble some. But you play the guy who has the bigger upside and the ability to win the game for you.

Take A. Brown for example. He is not a QB but the same prinicple applies..he was cut because he fumbled. Hmmmmm. Does he have and upside?

I stick to my guns..PR should have been playing this year. And he still may!

Going into the game, I made a concerted effort to watch our receivers (particularly Jacobs) to get to the bottom of the problem of our anemic passing offense. There are something you can see at the game - and on the sidelines - that you cannot appreciate on TV (ie. wide receiver patterns and coverage).

Given the "general" blame that has been spread (pass protection, defensive pass protection - double coverage, Jacobs' lack of talent, etc)... I figured it was a worthwhile focus.

Here's what I noticed. If I was going to place blame on ANYBODY about our passing offense... I'd put it on 2 things:

(2) Joe Gibbs. Not so much playcalling... but play design. The passing routes of our receivers are basic. You see any slants? Crossing patterns? Picks? Isolating matchups? Never.

Our receivers line up and run simple in-routes, out-routes and go-routes. As a BIG surprised yesterday... Jacobs single 7-yard completion was a comeback route. The same route he ran when he dropped (ie. defensed) the second time.

Yesterday, the Card defense yesterday was PRIME to attack via the passing game. Almost 70% of the game they were in 1-deep coverage. Corners playing man and 1 safety deep providing coverage over top.

Do you think they were rolling the safety to Moss? Nope. Common misperception.

Defenses have found "keys" in our passing game. It seemed they were always correctly rolling the saftey to the correct side.

Cornerbacks are playing 10 yards off of our receivers and turning and playing the go-route all the way. That's why our receivers aren't getting behind anyone.

(1) Mark Brunell. You want to stop him? Roll coverage to his throwing side.

Watch Brunell. He's very uncomfortable in the pocket. He won't stay in there long to deliver a pass or let pass plays develop. That's why he's running the ball.. or rolling out for passing and completing passes underneath.

We could have had Brad Johnson for nothing if we wanted a QB who will prioritize the check-downs.

He doesn't even look at the opposite side of the field... even when there's single coverage out there nearly 60% of the time. Moss and Jacobs each rotated to Brunell's right side... way outside.. and drew single coverage. Brunell didn't look their once.

It's a shame... but Mark is using half the field. And the defense is playing zone in between the hashmarks and the sidelines. That's why even if the Redskins player catches the ball... he's met immediately by defenders and taking hits. No YAC yards.

And 2 of Brunell's interceptions yesterday were literally thrown to a spot were our receivers weren't. Not even close.

Brunell is done.

We are going to get killed by the Cowboys.

i think we will all be accepting ur apology around 8pm sunday night.

OUCH!

TR1, any thoughts, or will I have to PM you?

I remember what you said (not what you are trying to say that you said.) Your evasion (was this the first time you even addressed it? I asked you in many other threads to speak on it) is obvious.

Or you could say that we needed a lot of misfortune (4 ints (1 was called back) and 2 fumbles in the first half) for it to be a close game. After the half we took care of business and outscored them 14-3. We would have scored more, but Gibbs went into 4th quarter prevent offense mode (my real concern for this game.)

I like the way you think!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

OUCH!

I remember what you said (not what you are trying to say that you said.) Your evasion (was this the first time you even addressed it? I asked you in many other threads to speak on it) is obvious.

That was some pure, unadulterated pwnage of tr1 -- I saw that coming from a mile away, because I remember him saying that about LA. I didn't want to be the one to bust him though...

:owned:

THANK YOU!! I pointed this out awhile back, but all it earned me was chastisement from Die Hard. Dallas is not a good team. In essence, they are dead-even with us at 8-5 with this game. :applause:

How did Dallas do against the Chargers and Chiefs? Because we lost to those teams. Also, the Cowboys DID beat the Giants.

Now, if I recall correctly, there were more than a few people laughing at Dallas' acquisition of Drew Bledsoe in the offseason. Do yourself a favor... perform a search of my posts for "Bledsoe" and see what I had to say about that acquisition.

People salivated over the fact that we'd rattle Bledsoe and sack him endlessly. We didn't come close to him. Poor offensive line and all.

The ESPN ticker this weekend that Dallas has played 10 of its 13 games within 7 points or less. Obviously, that doesn't include the shallacking they gave the Eagles early in the season. So they can play it close.. even with the good teams. They aren't pansies.

OUCH!

"LaVar isn't going to be a Redskin much longer...these columns and threads are a waste of key strokes."

"Hint: LaVar is gone...when will the press and posters here figure that out?"

"Post after post from you about LaVar being the solution. Figure it out. LA is gone. Not gonna play for the Redskins anymore.

You can either root for a team or root for players. You've chosen to root for a player over the team...I sugguest you visit a LaVar forum.

The coaches know they have a pass rush issue...they tried to sign Corey Brown during the off-season. LaVar couldn't convince his former teammate to come here. Imagine...LaVar probably bad mouthed the team....just like his fans."

Yup...I said all of this. And he won't be here next year.

You may believe that his sudden contrition will postpone his departure, but I continue to think otherwise. I'm fixed on my feelings about LaVar.

Now, are you willing to confess to being ES's drama queen?

That was some pure, unadulterated pwnage of tr1 -- I saw that coming from a mile away, because I remember him saying that about LA. I didn't want to be the one to bust him though...

:owned:

So, you think LA will be here next year, too?

Theres only one thing I've learned from all of my time on extremeskins.

And thats that none of you can predict worth a ****!

And our staff are the absolute worst of the bunch. Sorry Tony :)

Any given Sunday my friends. You're talking about 2 flawed teams. Dallas has looked just as wretched as we have at times this season. The team that wants it more wins.

Its that simple.

Any given Sunday my friends. You're talking about 2 flawed teams. Dallas has looked just as wretched as we have at times this season. The team that wants it more wins.

Its that simple.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :cheers:

Its that simple.

Aha! Parity...and expansion...equals mediocre football where any team can win. Injuries, weather, refs, roster limits...you name it, anything can happen.

During Gibbs I, he had starters sitting on the bench and a developmental squad of young players with mystery illnesses...it's not like that anymore.

Rich teams have been hamstrung by the Rozel/Tags world order of parity.

Personally, I think it sucks...but it makes all the teams richer by having more teams in the hunt late into the season.

The Redskins have as good a chance to get to the playoffs as anyone in their division...

How did Dallas do against the Chargers and Chiefs? Because we lost to those teams. Also, the Cowboys DID beat the Giants.

Now, if I recall correctly, there were more than a few people laughing at Dallas' acquisition of Drew Bledsoe in the offseason. Do yourself a favor... perform a search of my posts for "Bledsoe" and see what I had to say about that acquisition.

People salivated over the fact that we'd rattle Bledsoe and sack him endlessly. We didn't come close to him. Poor offensive line and all.

The ESPN ticker this weekend that Dallas has played 10 of its 13 games within 7 points or less. Obviously, that doesn't include the shallacking they gave the Eagles early in the season. So they can play it close.. even with the good teams. They aren't pansies.

And we don't play the good teams close?? We were one holding penalty away from beating the Chargers, and a finger-tip away from sending the Chiefs game to overtime. DH, man, your insistence in making me look bad is only proving my point...we are on-par with the Cowboys. That is my only point.

And don't forget, the Chiefs almost sent that game into overtime, despite (what I hear) was a bunk PI call on 4th and goal. And the Cowboys barely escaped San Fran with a W. And they beat the Giants, yes, but they also lost to them...can't use that one. We've still got our second game with them coming up...we can match that.

Dallas lost to the Broncos, we lost to the Broncos. Dallas lost to Seattle, we beat Seattle. In fact, we are the ONLY team to sweep the NFC West from the East.

And as far as Bleedsoe is concerned -- their offensive line woes are catching up to them. I guarantee you he will be on his back much more frequently than he was in the first game. Williams' knows what this game means, and will do everything in his power to put him on the turf, guaranteed.

Its that simple.

Thanks....I've posted that several times in this thread. Whoever wants it more will win this game, throw everything else out.

And it doesn't even matter who is better, what the records are. This is REDSKINS v. COWBOYS. Just look at the 1991 Skins...14-2, eventual superbowl champs. The 1991 Cowgirls were 1-15, NFC East cellar dwellers and league laughing-stock. Who did that win come against again?

:cheers:

And we don't play the good teams close?? We were one holding penalty away from beating the Chargers, and a finger-tip away from sending the Chiefs game to overtime. DH, man, your insistence in making me look bad is only proving my point...we are on-par with the Cowboys. That is my only point.

And don't forget, the Chiefs almost sent that game into overtime, despite (what I hear) was a bunk PI call on 4th and goal. And the Cowboys barely escaped San Fran with a W. And they beat the Giants, yes, but they also lost to them...can't use that one. We've still got our second game with them coming up...we can match that.

Dallas lost to the Broncos, we lost to the Broncos. Dallas lost to Seattle, we beat Seattle. In fact, we are the ONLY team to sweep the NFC West from the East.

And as far as Bleedsoe is concerned -- their offensive line woes are catching up to them. I guarantee you he will be on his back much more frequently than he was in the first game. Williams' knows what this game means, and will do everything in his power to put him on the turf, guaranteed.

You can say that about the Cowboys too. Dallas lost to Seattle, because Seattle's kicker made the field goal unlike in our game.

Portis has been our offense as of late, and he really hasn't even done well vs. the Cowboys since he's been here. The Cowboys have a pretty good run defense. Brunell is going to have to win this game with his arm, and I'm sure no one here really has confidence in him for doing that.

Our defense has been good, but not great. I'm not really comfortable when they are on the field. They have given up too many big plays this year. Dallas will run a trick play against us and it will succeed. Richie Anderson did it to us last year, and the fleaflicker to Glenn got us this year.

Fans like you piss me off!!! I bet when Brunell had that 3-4 game stretch when he was throwing upwards of 300 yards a game, you were his biggest fan, but now he has a couple sub par days and you get all over him. It probably has nothing to do with losing our #2 and 3 receivers right? You'd probably find something to complain about if P. Manning was our QB too.

And on a side note, 2 of those int's were not Brunell fault. One, Cooley tipped the ball in the defenders hand and the other, Cooley just kept going down field when he should have run an in-route. If the route was ran correctly, it was a completion. The other one, I agree nobody home.

Archived