Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible Solution to the #2 WR Issue

Neophyte

This is just something I have been thinking about since Portis broke that flanker screen a couple of weeks ago for 24 yards or so. With our current issue at the WR position and our depth a RB what if we put Portis out at flanker for a half dozen plays with either Betts or Cartwright lined up in the backfield? This may get some breathing room for Moss and it might also break some running room open for the RB, not to mention putting Portis in a position to break something from the edge. He is certainly more of a threat than the guys playing out there right now.

Just a thought. Feel free to poke holes in it as you see fit.

Jacobs and Farris are fine, Brunell just needs to throw them the ball. If you happen to be watching the MNF game, how many of the Falcons long throws have been to guys wide open? I don't think any so far, everyone one has been to a well covered reciever. Sometimes you just need to put the ball up in a spot for your recievers to make a play on it, problem is our team doesn't like to do that. I'm also not talking about a 15 yard throw but 25+ yard throws, the one where even if you do make a mistake, chances are it's no worse than a punt but that's how you make big plays and get points.

best solution?

throw the ball to a#2 or #3 wr. Art Monk could be the #2 but wouldn't matter if Brunell doesn't pass the ball to him

I agree. Our other WRs are bad, but Mark doesnt give them a chance. He wil throw to a triple covered Moss before a single covered Farris.

Joe Gibbs got rid of all the big receivers and went with all small receivers and now they are getting hurt. He really needs to plan better next season. The smurfs worked 20 years ago but today you need a big receiver on your team. It was a mistake to cut McCants after letting Gardner go. We have nobody who can play jump ball in the endzone or stand up to the punishment of going over the middle.

i hope somebody is talking to Gibbs about it.

Well, that's not a bad idea. But what we need to help our passing game is a receiver out of the backfield like Joe Washington, Marshall Faulk, or Roger Craig. We haven't had that since Coach Joe returned. I think that's one of the things that's missing on offense. Portis is good from out of the back field but not effective enough since he's a featured running back. We could ease up the attention on Moss this way if we had a guy to throw to from out of the back field.

Well, that's not a bad idea. But what we need to help our passing game is a receiver out of the backfield like Joe Washington, Marshall Faulk, or Roger Craig. We haven't had that since Coach Joe returned. I think that's one of the things that's missing on offense. Portis is good from out of the back field but not effective enough since he's a featured running back. We could ease up the attention on Moss this way if we had a guy to throw to from out of the back field.

Ladell Betts.

This is just something I have been thinking about since Portis broke that flanker screen a couple of weeks ago for 24 yards or so. With our current issue at the WR position and our depth a RB what if we put Portis out at flanker for a half dozen plays with either Betts or Cartwright lined up in the backfield? This may get some breathing room for Moss and it might also break some running room open for the RB, not to mention putting Portis in a position to break something from the edge. He is certainly more of a threat than the guys playing out there right now.

Just a thought. Feel free to poke holes in it as you see fit.

Darn that's a helluva idea! Boy I hope Coach Gibbs is on this net! What a great idea and then we could mix it back and forth with Betts and the Rock ! Or you can motion him into the "y" slot with Betts already out there. Excellent my friend, excellent! I'm sending that to the webmaster at Redskin.com...right now! Oh here comes the boss! Sorry its Dallas week! The boss laughs...I'm sending it! But man you're a genius! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Neophyte,

Not sure how often it's happened, but I have seen Portis split out wide a few times this year. My guess is we'll see it again. Betcha Parcells thinks so anyway.

Also, we've not seen Sean Taylor on offense much of late, but he did get at least one snap against San Diego that I saw, but it turned out be as a decoy on run.

Guess my point is, using CP out wide is a good idea ... and happily, Gibbs agrees. :)

Just a matter of how successful he believes it can be determining how often we see it.

Do we have any evidence that Jacobs is actually getting open? It wouldn't make much sense to throw into coverage just for the sake of throwing him the ball. I hope it's just a chemisty thing between Brunell and Jacobs. Because if it is, it should get better this week. If it doesn't, I think they need to seriously consider starting Thrash.

Neophyte,

Not sure how often it's happened, but I have seen Portis split out wide a few times this year. My guess is we'll see it again. Betcha Parcells thinks so anyway.

Also, we've not seen Sean Taylor on offense much of late, but he did get at least one snap against San Diego that I saw, but it turned out be as a decoy on run.

Guess my point is, using CP out wide is a good idea ... and happily, Gibbs agrees. :)

Just a matter of how successful he believes it can be determining how often we see it.

Which is what gave me the idea. We have only seen it a couple of times a game at the most and we have not run out of the formation at all if I remember correctly. Portis scares defenses a lot more than Jacobs, Thrash or Farris. He has to be respected.

Using this formation a half dozen to 10 times a game with different priorities will really get the defense to thinking about it and open up more space for everyone. IMHO at least.

taylor jacobs is not the answer! lets remeber this is a guy who was drafted by steve spurrier, steve loved his gator players and we all know how well shane mathhews an danny waurfel worked out! my point is maybe jacobs dosnt have the talent to be a starting wr, i think steve brought him in only because he knew his system very well

portis isnt superman sorry... when he's not in the game it's for a good reason, he's resting.

I agree. It would defeat the purpose of him getting rest. This is the main reason he is so healthy late in the season. I dont think there is much of cure right now being so late in the season, the best thing would be for Taylor to finally step up. Another Spurrier Gator Bust.:doh:

portis isnt superman sorry... when he's not in the game it's for a good reason, he's resting.

I am not suggesting that he be in on any more snaps than he already is. I am just suggesting that some of the snaps where he would currently pass block (not exactly resting doing that) that he line up outside. If this pulls a safety off the line a bit it opens room up for Betts or Rock. If not, it may force the deep safety to play to the middle more than cheat over toward Moss. If neither of those things happen, you have to like the match up of Portis on a CB in the open field.

Not suggesting more snaps, just a different use for him for a half dozen of the snaps he is already in on.

Not sure how often it's happened, but I have seen Portis split out wide a few times this year. My guess is we'll see it again.

I can think of at least two or three plays in which we did this against the Cardinals. One play, a WR screen to Portis, got us a first down. On another play, Portis lined up as a #2 receiver and they ran the play away from him. They both worked.

So, yes, I geuss it is a good idea.

Archived