Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

why do redskins fan say Davis is better then Portis

Atown

As a Giants fan, I think both Portis and Davis are great RBs.

Although when the Giants played the Redskins, I worried ALOT more about facing Davis, then I do about facing Portis.

Yeah Davis used to kill us for some reason. Its odd because he was the only big back that ever gave the Giants problems. It was normaly the smaller backs the Giants have a hard time stoping.

That being said I'd take Portis now over Davis in his prime still. Portis can just do more things then Davis, and they both give you about the same amount of production running the ball.

last time i checked john riggins was better then davis

Last time I checked, Davis and Riggins were similar backs in different eras. Both could do things as a Redskin, that Portis has struggled to do. And that is get into the endzone, and keep drives going on 3rd down.

Who says that? :)

And when "they" do, are they talking about S. Davis today, or circa '99?

That Davis would have been a great fit in a Gibbs offense, no doubt. Whether "better" than the CP we have today or not is an interesting hypothetical debate, I guess, but clearly not a slam dunk in either direction. Two different backs, both with strengths in areas the other doesn't/didn't have.

I think the Larry Brown of the late 60s or early 70s would be a perfect fit for this offense. Oh, how about having Sonny at QB?

so your saying you prefer a power back instead of a speedster

I'm saying that Stephen Davis in his prime would be better suited for the Joe Gibbs offense than Clinton Portis. And that the main reasons for this is that Davis was much better in the redzone, and much more reliable when it came to picking up the short yardage 1st downs.

I thought I was making my arguement pretty clear... :whoknows:

Guess not.

Last time I checked, Davis and Riggins were similar backs in different eras. Both could do things as a Redskin, that Portis has struggled to do. And that is get into the endzone, and keep drives going on 3rd down.

Yes its called a power back

If gibbs wanted a power back he would have gotten one. But he wanted portis.

Guest sith lord
Same could be said for Portis.

True. But nothing Portis has done compares to Davis' fumble on Monday Night against Dallas. We had that game won.

If you are paying a guy like we're paying Portis, he should be able to do it all. Davis could do it all. You didn't have to bring in another back in short yardage situations, because the team had confidence that on 3rd and short, he'd make the yardage. Or that in a goal line situation, he'd punch it in. And from time to time, he'd break a long run.

This team doesn't have that same confidence in Portis. And for the rep he brings as a homerun hitter, Portis doesn't break the long ones like he should.

If he'd break the long run more than once a year, I could forgive him for being a sub par short yardage back.

You're almost always wrong. :D

Davis was more exciting to watch for me. He got more yards on his own (without the O-lines help) than Portis. Davis may have been a better combo of power and speed. But Portis is here and ready to produce for the Skins. He's a team player and he can take this team all the way... The TD catagory can be misleading. Sellers has a lot of would be Portis TDs.:cool:

well if we take it back to the 80's early 90's gibbs era... who did we have.

We had E. Byner, G. Riggs and B. Mitch.

Byner was starting running back, Riggs was short yd. B Mitch was all purpose.

So... from what im seeing in what we have right now... we have it all, portis, betts, rock, and sellers. what are we complaining about. gibbs can use sellers like riggs if he wanted to, he just thinks that he can pass. im not a mind reader so im not going to speculate. just look at what we have compared to gibbs last era.

what happen to Davis in 01 he couldn't punch in for tds?

if you look at Davis's career he actually gets worse as season progresses.

And clinton portis will only get better

In 2001, Davis rushed for 766 yards in his last 8 games, finishing out with 148 yards in his last game... Hardly getting worse as the season progresses. He also scored 4 of his 5 touchdown during the second half of the season. Touchdowns are more a reflection of a team's overall offensive success. To evaluate a player based on how many touchdowns he has can be misleading. I can't remember Davis ever having a problem punching it in when we needed it. It was more a lack of opportunities that year.

last time i checked john riggins was better then davis

I also think Joe Gibbs is wrong.

God bless Joe Gibbs, but he says a lot of things that just aren't true. And saying that Portis is the best running back he ever had is one of them.

Portis might be the most talented back he ever had. He's almost certainly the most athletically gifted back he ever had.

But in the fourth quarter on 3rd and 1, I would rather have Earnest Byner running the ball than Portis. And Byner was probably not as fast as I am.

As a Giants fan, I think both Portis and Davis are great RBs.

Although when the Giants played the Redskins, I worried ALOT more about facing Davis, then I do about facing Portis.

I dont know why, b/cuz CP destroyed ya'll @ FedEx last year. And its not like you stopped him this year we got behind, therefore his carries were down.

I also think Joe Gibbs is wrong.

God bless Joe Gibbs' date=' but he says a lot of things that just aren't true. And saying that Portis is the best running back he ever had is one of them.

[/quote']

I don't recall Gibbs saying this. Could someone post the quote. In the post article the other day, someone said that Portis was "the best without the ball" that the Redskins had ever had.

I dont know why, b/cuz CP destroyed ya'll @ FedEx last year. And its not like you stopped him this year we got behind, therefore his carries were down.

Yes, Portis did have a great game at Fed Ex and I give him credit for that.

But he had that success against an injury riddled Giants team who had already lost two of our best defensive players Michael Strahan and Girbil Wilson for the season.

In the two games the Giants have been healthy with Strahan and Wilson in the lineup, Clinton Portis has combined for 0 TDs, 78 rushing yards for 3.2 average in two games.

Davis on the other hand, when he was a Redskins, could take over a gave and dominate. He did it several times against the Giants.

I worried EVERY time facing Davis because he can wear you out. I don't feel the same way about Portis. Just my opinion.

Davis of old would be a better fit, but Portis doesn't have the old fumbleruski problems that Davis has and he is able to catch the ball and Davis isn't a great receiver. Overall portis is a better back, but the old davis is better between the tackles.

Archived