Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

why do redskins fan say Davis is better then Portis

Atown

Davis broke tackle, carried people on his back, picked up 3rd and shorts, punched it in to the end zone, with the other team knowing that that is what we were going to do. our Offense was a lot worse then than it is know besides Davis. But davis is all that we needed. 8 and 9 in the box and still got the yards. His passing support consisted of Tony banks throwing to Albert Connell.

Portis has done Ok though, even though he has a better passing attack and is only called to run it in runner friendly situations. But if our QB was Tony banks, picking up only 100 yards passing per game, and Albert Connell as a #1 WR, Portis couldn't carry the Offense like Davis did.

Hopfully some day Portis will stop out running his blockers and be able to fully use his skill to work productivly, and he may end up with a season of better yardage than Davis, but it won't be in a year with no one around him to help with a new coach to learn a new system every time, with 8 in the box 1-3rd down.

Davis broke tackle, carried people on his back, picked up 3rd and shorts, punched it in to the end zone, with the other team knowing that that is what we were going to do. our Offense was a lot worse then than it is know besides Davis. But davis is all that we needed. 8 and 9 in the box and still got the yards. His passing support consisted of Tony banks throwing to Albert Connell.

Portis has done Ok though, even though he has a better passing attack and is only called to run it in runner friendly situations. But if our QB was Tony banks, picking up only 100 yards passing per game, and Albert Connell as a #1 WR, Portis couldn't carry the Offense like Davis did.

Hopfully some day Portis will stop out running his blockers and be able to fully use his skill to work productivly, and he may end up with a season of better yardage than Davis, but it won't be in a year with no one around him to help with a new coach to learn a new system every time, with 8 in the box 1-3rd down.

He is on track this season to have yardage better than Davis, and if you look at Tony Banks' stats, he was more effective as a qb than Mark Brunell last year. You talk about 100 yard passing games, well I remember plenty of them last year from ole Brunell. Granted he was hurt, but the offense was still as nonexistent as ever, and Portis ran for 1300 yards. Just wait, Portis will only get better in our offense.

On the field Terry Allen's performances were better than Stephen Davis'. So much so S.Davis never won the starting job from T.Allen in three years. And S.Davis was a true backup more than even an alternate his first 3 years in the league (much forgotten). When T.Allen's contract was up, the Redskins let him go for more money and the job was given, not earned by S.Davis. As always there were T.Allen factions & S.Davis factions, but the issue was over youth & future not who was better (it was generally agreed T.Allen was better). I not only supported the decision to go for youth & future, but supported the same decision when it was made against S.Davis in similair circumstances years later.

S.Davis got the later part of the Norv Turner era (better than the earlier part, T.Allen got) and he probowled once. He also got a rebuilt offensive line which featured Jon Jansen & Chris Samuels.

T.Allen got the early part of the Norv Turner era (not a good era, period) and still ran over 1300 yards twice and still probowled once. The offensive line featured Shar Pourdonesh (a Canadian Football OT, he was a pathetic) and Ed Simmons last years.

T.Allens came within 100 yards of that S.Davis' record. And without the benefit of Chris Samuels & Jon Jansen. All things considered it becomes a poor-mans 'Barry vs Emmit' argument.

Wasn't that the year we went 7-1 to start, and then collapsed down the stretch?

Yeah, that's true. But the point I am addressing is your assertion that Terry Allen never had a good year here. The team, of course, has been disappointing for 13 years. Terry Allen, on an individual basis, had two very strong years with us.

At the same point in their careers, there is no comparison between C.Portis & S.Davis. Portis is already a probowler, Davis didn't even start his first three years. Portis has already beaten S.Davis's best twice, in half as many years. The big one is - Stephen Davis fumbled away Dallas games.

I am looking forward to Clinton Portis breaking the franchise record (which he has already exceeded on other teams). Because despite the franchise record, S.Davis is not one of the Redskins top 5 RBs. When Portis' run is all over, he has a chance to be the best Redskins RB ever. (forget the S.Davis comparison altogether)

• 3 weeks later...
At the same point in their careers, there is no comparison between C.Portis & S.Davis. Portis is already a probowler, Davis didn't even start his first three years. Portis has already beaten S.Davis's best twice, in half as many years. The big one is - Stephen Davis fumbled away Dallas games.

I am looking forward to Clinton Portis breaking the franchise record (which he has already exceeded on other teams). Because despite the franchise record, S.Davis is not one of the Redskins top 5 RBs. When Portis' run is all over, he has a chance to be the best Redskins RB ever. (forget the S.Davis comparison altogether)

amen

Davis was a jackhammer. You knew he was coming right at you, and you still could not stop him!

Davis did fumble at the worst times...

Portis cannot smash it down the middle of a stacked 4-3 like Davis could.

Portis is a great back! He can block/catch/ & get to the outside faster than #48 could.

I still rock my 48 on certain days... it is bound for a frame in the basement soon!

I hope Portis is a running back here for years and years...but I miss yelling "GIVE THE BALL TO DAVIS!"

Archived