Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wireless Internet question

rictus58

I just bought a laptop and received it yesterday. It has a wireless internet card. It picked up a signal from a neighbors house. She apparently doesn't have anything to prevent me from picking up her signal. Could I get arrested if I accessed her internet that way?

I'm not asking about anything re: ethics. I know the ethical debate. I just want to know about the legalities that surround the issue.

I found this while looking into the legalities of it. Of course, I dont know the truthfulness of this article.

http://www.slate.com/id/2109941

When I moved into a new neighborhood last week, I expected the usual hassles. Then I found out I'd have to wait more than a month for a DSL line. I started convulsing. If I don't have Net access for even one day, I can't do my job. So, what was I supposed to do? There's an Internet café on the next block, but they close early. I had no choice—it was time to start sneaking on to my neighbors' home networks.

Every techie I know says that you shouldn't use other people's networks without permission. Every techie I know does it anyway. If you're going to steal—no, let's say borrow—your neighbor's Wi-Fi access, you might as well do it right. Step one: Lose the guilt. The FCC told me that they don't know of any federal or state laws that make it illegal to log on to an open network. Using someone's connection to check your e-mail isn't like hacking into their bank account. It's more like you're borrowing a cup of sugar. (Unless you hog their bandwidth by watching lots of streaming video—that's like hijacking a sugar truck.)

In the end, it's your neighbor's Internet service provider—not your neighbor—who will pay for the added traffic, and the ISP has already factored a small amount of line-sharing into their price plan. It is true that your surfing could cause the folks next door to break their service contract—many broadband providers do specifically forbid home customers from sharing a connection. But let's deal with those abstract ethical issues later—you have important mail to answer!

i'm also curious about this. Also how safe is it? I live in an apartment complex of about 400 units and on average can get up to 2 or 3 different accessable connections at any given time.

Basically when you connect to someone else's wireless router they could track your internet usage, any info you send through that connection. even could access the files on your computer.

Basically when you connect to someone else's wireless router they could track your internet usage, any info you send through that connection. even could access the files on your computer.

This is true, by using there network you are allowing them access to your info also. So if you do it be smart and surf by secure proxy.

I used to have up to 14 diff. connection available where I lived in Jersey. I didnt pay for internet for a long time. Where I am no has 4 available and all 4 are secure. Things are changing so take advantage of it while you can. Do yourself a favor though, if you named your computer after your own name, you may want to change it to avoid that awkward conversation down the road... you know the one "So been using my internet connections huh?"

For example, I recently changed my friends PC name to OoglyBooglyUCantCatchme.

This is true, by using there network you are allowing them access to your info also. So if you do it be smart and surf by secure proxy.

So is their a difference between these free large wireless networks that some university's or internet cafe's have and your neighbor's small wireless router as far as security is concerned?

Sometimes my connection fails and I ride my neighbor's network which is named after his wife Amy. The first time I realized that I had jumped on Amy by accident I knocked on their door and told them about it. I've ridden Amy quite often since then and she always has a friendly smile afterwards. My son has ridden her too with no complaints.

:smooch:

I used to have up to 14 diff. connection available where I lived in Jersey. I didnt pay for internet for a long time. Where I am no has 4 available and all 4 are secure. Things are changing so take advantage of it while you can. Do yourself a favor though, if you named your computer after your own name, you may want to change it to avoid that awkward conversation down the road... you know the one "So been using my internet connections huh?"

For example, I recently changed my friends PC name to OoglyBooglyUCantCatchme.

How do you change PC names?

Just curious. ;)

To specify your computer and workgroup names

Open System.

On the Computer Name tab, click Change.

In Computer name, type your computer name.

The computer name must be unique. You cannot use a name already in use on the network.

In Workgroup, type the workgroup name.

Notes

To open System Properties, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.

The Network Setup Wizard automatically configures your workgroup name.

The workgroup name must be the same on all the computers on the network.

Some Internet service providers (ISPs) require a specific computer name. Check with your ISP before changing the name of the computer that is attached to the residential gateway (or your Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) host computer).

To rename a computer

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open System in Control Panel.

On the Computer Name tab, click Change.

Under Computer name, type a new name for the computer, and then click OK.

If the computer is a member of a domain, you will be prompted to provide a user name and user password to rename the computer in the domain.

Notes

To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.

A computer joining a Windows domain must use the name created for it by the network administrator, unless you have a user name and password with rights to create computer accounts.

If you supplied a valid user name and password for a secure Windows domain, the domain membership will be automatically updated with the new computer name.

If you specify a computer name longer than 15 characters and you want longer names to be recognized by the Active Directory domain, the domain administrator must enable registration of DNS names that are 16 bytes or more.

If you rename your computer or workgroup when it is disconnected from the network, duplicate computer names might result. Check with your network administrator before renaming your computer.