Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So Whats Wrong With Saying Merry Christmas???

qcraftsman

If people are so busy being offended by everything, then why bother celebrating at all ?

This is the greatest irony of all ironies.

And these people are the greatest hypocrites of all !

Why even bother with Happy Holidays ?

ITS NOT EVEN a Happy Holiday, if you got your head so far up your @ss, that you get offended by "Merry Christmas"

You're so obsessed with the "letter" of the law, you miss the "spirit" of the law.

I thought the whole idea of the Holidays, is to be kind and understanding and compassionate of people, not get offended. If anyone refuses "Merry Christmas", then I'll wish them a "Offensive Holiday" that they deserve and truly want.

They just seem to harp on it over and over and over. You havent heard anything from the liberals you have named for years

You're kidding right?

Where were you just a few months ago when Hillary went on her rampage against the Grand Theft Auto video game? And Lieberman has been all over Hollywood that last few years over violence on TV and in movies. It was a big part of his bid for the Democratic nomination in 2000. As for Tipper, she hasn't really opened her big, fat pie hole since Mr. Internet Inventor lost to Bush in 2000.

Edit: I don't really consider Lieberman a liberal. He's just a misguided Democrat. :D

If people are so busy being offended by everything, then why bother celebrating at all ?

This is the greatest irony of all ironies.

And these people are the greatest hypocrites of all !

Why even bother with Happy Holidays ?

ITS NOT EVEN a Happy Holiday, if you got your head so far up your @ss, that you get offended by "Merry Christmas"

You're so obsessed with the "letter" of the law, you miss the "spirit" of the law.

I thought the whole idea of the Holidays, is to be kind and understanding and compassionate of people, not get offended. If anyone refuses "Merry Christmas", then I'll wish them a "Offensive Holiday" that they deserve and truly want.

well said. If someone said merry xmas to me I would say it back, just as if they would wish me a happy chunaka I would do the same to them or any holiday to them. With most holidays of religions I have trouble spelling and prouncing them so I might just say "you to(with a smile)". I dont understand people that get militant about other peoples beliefs.

Maybe I just dont care enough, but if someone said to me happy ramadan I wouldnt lecture them about seperation of church and state or about my sensibilities being attacked. I just dont get were the hostility is comming from.

I thought the people who were getting offended were Jerry Falwell and co., who complain that stores are saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, thus insulting Christians.

Do I have the story wrong?

No. My point was towards the PCism behind it all that drives people to care about being wished a Merry Christmas, Hannakuh or any other religious related well wishing. That is ultimately what causes retail establishments to prevent it's employees from expressing the joy of their individual faith/belief. As far as Falwell and Co. are concerned, I pay them no mind. I don't care if a Walmart clerk wishes me a Happy Holiday. It's all the same to me, as the Holiday season to me has much to do with my religious beliefs. The ironic thing is that when I worked retail, I alwasys wished my customers a Happy Holiday because the Holiday Season to me is more than just Christmas. It's Thanksgiving, and New Years and others holidays. Usually, the week before Christmas I would start wishing them a Merry Christmas and then switch to a Happy New year right after.

The ironic thing is that when I worked retail, I alwasys wished my customers a Happy Holiday because the Holiday Season to me is more than just Christmas. It's Thanksgiving, and New Years and others holidays. Usually, the week before Christmas I would start wishing them a Merry Christmas and then switch to a Happy New year right after.

When I was a cashier this past summer at Target-- I was just so damn tired that if I did not have to say something to you like Happy Whatever I would not say it, I have to speak to about 300 customers a day during a 7 hour shift and sometimes they screwed us on breaks, Im not expending the energy. Most of my speaking energy went toward asking people to apply for the Target credit card.

It's not necessarily about avoiding offending people, you know.

Like I said earlier, if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I take it as a warm greeting and thank them and go on my way. It's nice and it's not offensive at all.

However, if someone wishes me a Happy Holidays, I take it even better, because not only did the person say something nice, he said it in a way that includes my religion. It doesn't exclude yours .. just includes mine.

Could someone please explain to me why that's a bad thing? Someone explain to me why Sarge's cartoon or NavyDave's boycott is any less an expression of over-sensitivity as actually saying Happy Holidays.

Why is trying to be nice to me as well as you so offensive to you?

Frankly, that bugs me a lot more than someone wishing me a Merry Christmas.

Like I said earlier, if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, I take it as a warm greeting and thank them and go on my way. It's nice and it's not offensive at all.

However, if someone wishes me a Happy Holidays, I take it even better, because not only did the person say something nice, he said it in a way that includes my religion. It doesn't exclude yours .. just includes mine.

Could someone please explain to me why that's a bad thing? Someone explain to me why Sarge's cartoon or NavyDave's boycott is any less an expression of over-sensitivity as actually saying Happy Holidays.

I will take a try even though it means nothing to me really. Its a method of cultural self expression. There is a weird dynamic that has been installed into the minds of populace, the majority is to be demonized and rejected. Im guessing guilt was the portal, but more likely it was fostered in our halls of learning where there is a hatred of christianity.

I sympathize with the christians, they are hated even by themselves. Mostly cause its the hip thing to do, all religions have reasons to hate them but this modern hate is a hip thing. I think we might be the only nation on earth that makes its people cloak their culture unless they are a minority.

I will take a try even though it means nothing to me really. Its a method of cultural self expression. There is a weird dynamic that has been installed into the minds of populace, the majority is to be demonized and rejected. Im guessing guilt was the portal, but more likely it was fostered in our halls of learning where there is a hatred of christianity.

I sympathize with the christians, they are hated even by themselves. Mostly cause its the hip thing to do, all religions have reasons to hate them but this modern hate is a hip thing. I think we might be the only nation on earth that makes its people cloak their culture unless they are a minority.

Well said!

I'm not even a Christian, but I feel like elements of this country are trying to make Christians feel ashamed of their religion.

Well said!

I'm not even a Christian, but I feel like elements of this country are trying to make Christians feel ashamed of their religion.

Oh yes these christians really suffer :rolleyes:

These Christians have really suffered worse than the Christians in africa, Christians in China and Christians in Ancient Rome where people are and were being murdered and persecuted phyically for thier belifes. PS from the great beyond alot of Mayrtered Saints are looking down and going "STFU over basic semantics you have not suffered so". Why is it americans are seeming soft in everthing we do including religion?

I don't think anyone who is "pro Merry Christmas" is begrudging anyone the right to use whatever greeting they want to use, including "Happy Holiday". The problem we have on our side is when people go to lengths to expunge references to Christmas altogether, and fill the vacuum with the supposedly more inclusive "Holiday".

To put it another way, saying Happy Holiday to someone is not inherently offensive in any way... up until it becomes the symbol for anti-Christmas. If I met you on the street and I knew your preference was for less exposure to Christmas, I would have no problem at all greeting you with "Happy Holiday". But when a municipality changes the name of a Christmas tree to Holiday tree, that is PC run amock, and I'm going to argue vociferously against it.

You raise a lot of interesting points, but I think you use the word "hatred" a little too loosely. DarkLadyRaven's argument is that the "hatred" of Christians in this country is nothing compared to the persecution of Christians elsewhere, and it can't even be compared to the hatred of Muslims in this country. Even though there is a counter-majoritarian bias among intellectuals, it is still easier to be Christian in this country than to be of any other religion - Christian holidays are universally celebrated, there are Christian churches in virtually every town, and every single United States President has been a Christian.

Most liberal democracies share our counter-majoritarian cultural bias. The political theory behind this attitude is that in a a democracy there is no danger in holding bias against the majority. If it goes too far, the majority can simply vote to stop it. This became an explicit legal doctrine in 1938, when Justice Harlan Stone wrote his famous Carolene Produts footnote:

"...statutes directed at particular religious...or national...or racial minorities; [or] whether prejudice against discrete and insular minorities may be a special condition, which tends seriously to curtail the operation of those political processes ordinarily to be relied upon to protect minorities, and which may call for a correspondingly more searching judicial inquiry."

It is not a hatred of christianity or a lingering guilt that causes us to be charitable towards minorities and unsympathetic to majorities, it is a basic understanding of the inherent bias of democracy. If there's any reason why this attitude is stronger in America than elsewhere, I would say it is Christianity itself, because sympathy for the downtrodden is a strong Christian ethic. Jer. 22:3. "Do justice and righteousness, and deliver the one who has been robbed from the power of his oppressor. Also do not mistreat or do violence to the stranger, the orphan, or the widow; and do not shed innocent blood in this place."

Djtj

I have alot of respect for you, but for you to say that muslims here are treated worse than christians anywhere else in the world I find offensive. One only has to look at Sudan, knowing that can you really tell me muslims are treated worse than christians arround the world. Please include suicide bombs.

Im not so far off from you guys, Im not religious and I have nothing invested in any god type group. Its really strange that you guys on the left always demonize christians but none of the others. Its really the only reason I defend them, cause I find the persecution unfair and suspicious.

I do want to commend you on admitting that there is a implied need to revolt against the majority to be qualified as an "intellectual".

You could have left the bible quote out for me, it means nothing to me and from what Ive gathered from observations is that you can justify anything by picking and chosing them. Im sure you have been made privy to that though.

I do have to say that you have the most civil approach against christians, I just wish you guys would take them all on at once. It would keep me from defending them.

What are you people so damn bitter over? If some company uses Happy Holidays to make their minority customers a little happier who are you to try to force them to say Merry Christmas. If it pisses you guys off so much don't shop there. Why don't you just let people that want to say Happy Holidays say it and you can say Merry Christmas.

To all people who celebrate Christmas have a Merry Christmas.

Everyone else have Happy Holidays.

Oops I said "Happy Holidays" am I going to get lynched now?

Oh yes these christians really suffer :rolleyes:

These Christians have really suffered worse than the Christians in africa, Christians in China and Christians in Ancient Rome where people are and were being murdered and persecuted phyically for thier belifes. PS from the great beyond alot of Mayrtered Saints are looking down and going "STFU over basic semantics you have not suffered so". Why is it americans are seeming soft in everthing we do including religion?

First of all, nowhere did I say Christians in this country were "suffering". Nice of you to imply that. :rolleyes:

Secondly, just because Christians are being and have been persecuted elsewhere doesn't make the climate of hatred towards Christians in this country any more acceptable.

I will continue to wish people a MERRY CHRISTMAS during this holiday season every year till the day I die. It is my holiday and I will express it the way I want.

Now if I really know the person I am speaking to and know that they are not Christian I will not say it. If my friend happens to be Jewish I would wish them a Happy Hanukah. If my friend is not a Christian I would wish them a Happy Holiday. To all strangers I may meet and address during any Christmas Season I will wish them a Merry Christmas whether they like it or not.

It doesn't bother me one way or the other how it's said. The problem is the retailers are cowering to PCism by not allowing their employees to express themselves freely. It isn't as if saying Merry Christmas, or Happy Hannakuh or whatever is preaching. Either way should be acceptable to anyone. Their just isn't anything offensive in any of these well wishes.

Archived