Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stu Scotts poerty...

Spaceman Spiff

Actually suprised there hasn't been a thread started on this...

Sunday night, did anyone see sportscenter? I can't write anything about what I saw because blood spurts out of my eyes and ears the moment I think about it. Anyway, Joesportsfan.com seemed to sum it up well:

http://www.joesportsfan.com/MediaCircus11_29.html

The Media Circus

Home

JSF Weekly

Monday Morning Memo

The Media Circus

Worthless Card Collection

Just when you thought you had seen it all…

…Stu Scott goes and does this. This past weekend, the poster child for hamming it up on Sportscenter took the show to a place it had never ventured before. It wasn’t in a simulated press conference with Scott acting as the general manager of Death Row Records, nor was it an intro to another highlight package set to the ridiculous Coors Light theme song about twins that was popular three years ago (even though that happened Sunday as well). In fact, it may have been worse.

During the Bengals and Ravens highlights, Stu and the brain trust at the Worldwide Leader in Sports decided it would be apropos to turn the highlights into Stu’s personal romance corner in a segment known as “Poetry Slam”. Yes, just as it sounds, Stu Scott was reciting poetry over football highlights.

Like a cheap high school talent show, the lights were dimmed down as Stu took his place next to the big screen and began to express. The words that came out of his mouth were drowned out by the voice repeating in our head over and over “this is actually happening on a sports station”. That was quickly surpassed by the overwhelming desire for it to stop. But it didn’t. The rhyming and poetry kept going and going and going, like floodwaters ravaging a city, like a Woody Paige rant that just won’t end.

Just as it looked like that show was returning to regular highlights and updates, the Slam surged on. Scott stayed in stanza and began rhyming about Chad Johnson’s noteworthy touchdown celebrations for another two hours. Actually, it may have only been 20 seconds, but we don’t remember.

After what seemed like an eternity, it was over. And just like the Steve Phillips press conferences before it, this segment unleashed several questions that need to be addressed:

- At what point did they decide that talking over highlights was not enough?

- How long did Stu Scott spend working on this Slam session? And does anyone have the footage of him practicing at his desk, because it could be a killer SNL skit?

- How excited was he when approached management about this?

- Does anyone realize at ESPN that most sports fans are not eagerly awaiting the day that sports and poetry mix?

- Is Michael Irvin’s friend a part of the ESPN front office? It surely seems that someone is smoking crack.

- Did anyone in the company view this and think it sucked?

- Maybe even the second floor janitor?

- Anyone at all Bristol?

The more and more we absorb the way sports is being covered, the more and more the term Media Circus seems appropriate to describe the sports world.

Sportscenter has hit an all time low when you consider this garbage ass Def Poetry Jam ripoff and those horrendous mock press conferences for baseball teams with Steve Phillips.

I don't even watch Sportscenter for highlights anymore, and it kinda saddens me. I remember when I was in high school I would contently watch three episodes in a row. Nowadays ESPNews is my source for highlights.

Look how he carries the rock

I'm pathetic the way I ride their jock

With one eye led astray

The way I kiss their ass you'd think I'm gay

Stats I spew with such a rush

I got a "hot seat" here for my daily man-crush

Highlight reels make me holla OH NO

Stu Scott's a pathetic sycophantic homo. -Stu Scott

ESPN is garbage.

Look how he carries the rock

I'm pathetic the way I ride their jock

With one eye led astray

The way I kiss their ass you'd think I'm gay

Stats I spew with such a rush

I got a "hot seat" here for my daily man-crush

Highlight reels make me holla OH NO

Stu Scott's a pathetic sycophantic homo. -Stu Scott

ESPN is garbage.

:laugh: That's great stuff. More people should see this.

Archived