Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is gibbs being hypocritical?

akorn22

THere is something about Gibbs that I've asked myself and other many times. Yet to this day, I have not gotten an answer. Think back to September 12th 2005. That was the day GIbbs decided to bench Ramsey for the season and start Brunell. It was also the day Brown was cut. Gibbs was asked why he benched Ramsey and cut Brown. Gibbs replied "I will not tolerate turnovers this season" (referring to Brown's kickoff funble and Ramsey's interception and fumble) So the thing i've been wondering is why does gibbs use turnovers as n excuse to bench ramsey but he seems to not care when brunell fumbes 3 times a game. Why is gibbs being hypocritical in that situation? GIbbs is obviously playing favorites here. If he TRULY is not toleration turnovers this year then Brunell and Portis both wouldn;t be playing. Brunell and portis are the worst ball handlers i've ever seen. Brunell fumbles every time a defender touches his jersey. I think that the little "love fest" going on here in Redskins Park is what is really hurting us.

I agree with this entire post. Except that I don't think you're being fair to Portis.

The man has fumbled 3 times all season, one of them he recovered himself, and I don't actually remember, but I bet it was a bad handoff(credit brunell). It's just that it happened twice in one game that was fairly recently.

Brunell on the other hand, with his 8 fumbles, should be benched if Gibbs doesn't want to be hypocritical.

It's not like this is anything new for Brunell either. In 1996, when the Jaguars went to the AFC Championship Brunell fumbled 14 times. (Also, it's worth mentioning Brunell led his team which was 4-7 to 5-0 down the stretch to get a wild card spot and take them to the AFC Championship. It seems like he's in a pretty similar situation.)

GREAT post man!!! But....Gibbs has to play Brunell because how could he otherwise justify losing Pierce/Smoot/ and soon to be Arrington with his lucrative/overpaid contract?? Brunell's a washed up QB....plain and simple. But....his contract dictates his playing. I also believe this is why Arrington is playing......too much money to be sitting on the bench. NOT that I agreed with him sitting on the bench AT ALL.

Brunell on the other hand, with his 8 fumbles, should be benched if Gibbs doesn't want to be hypocritical.

QB will fumble the ball if protection breaks down and somebody hits him from the blind side. Most of Brunell fumbles can be attributed to poor blocking. A lot of his ints were tipped balls or missed calls (TB game). Do you really think PR would have turned the ball over less?

Gibbs puts the players on the field that gives us the best chance to win.

Are you serious? if these guys give us the best chance of winning, then i don;t EVER want to see the guys who don;t give us the best chance of winning. Those guys must really suck.

QB will fumble the ball if protection breaks down and somebody hits him from the blind side

Ur correct, but i;ve seen times (the bucs game was a good example) where the defender simply had brunell by the jersey. The defender then spun him around in attempt to get him down,. and the ball just popped right out.

Gibbs puts the players on the field that gives us the best chance to win.

i would disagree. gibbs puts players on the field he can depend on. i don't think he likes unpredictable play at key positions.

as for gibbs being hypocritical....maybe but all coaches are. they SHOULD demonstrate complete confidence in all the players he put on the field even if he has reservations. i think gibbs never really had much confidence in ramsey or brown and when he had the chance to get rid of him, he took it.

You can not simply bench everybody that has fumbled. Brunell is safer with the ball then Ramsey, when it comes to passing, you did watch the preseason games didn't you. Brown was cut because he was starting to show issues with handling the ball, again in the preseason.

Maybe you should examine the history of the two players you mention before you start calling people a hypocrite. If Ramsey would have demonstrated the kind of control of teh offense that Brunell did then maybe you could accuse Gibbs of playing favorites but the fact remains Ramsey struggled yet again in the preseason and Gibbs felt Brunell was the best choice to try and win games.

:gaintsuck :dallasuck :eaglesuck

Ur correct, but i;ve seen times (the bucs game was a good example) where the defender simply had brunell by the jersey. The defender then spun him around in attempt to get him down,. and the ball just popped right out.

And I've seen games were Ramsey threw an INT in the end zone, and I seen games where Ramsey has fumbled, and they both happened this year, so again Brunell makes mistakes no one is denying that, it's just that Ramsey makes mistakes more frequently and often times the same mistakes.

:eaglesuck :dallasuck :gaintsuck

You can not simply bench everybody that has fumbled. Brunell is safer with the ball then Ramsey, when it comes to passing, you did watch the preseason games didn't you. Brown was cut because he was starting to show issues with handling the ball, again in the preseason.

Maybe you should examine the history of the two players you mention before you start calling people a hypocrite. If Ramsey would have demonstrated the kind of control of teh offense that Brunell did then maybe you could accuse Gibbs of playing favorites but the fact remains Ramsey struggled yet again in the preseason and Gibbs felt Brunell was the best choice to try and win games.

I didn't call gibbs a complete hypocrite, just in this situation. Brunell fumbles because he is an idiot. Ramsey woud commit turnovers because he hasn;t gotten a lot of playing time. Ramsey has yet to play a full NFL season. If gibbs had stuck with Ramsey from the start, then Ramsey would probably not trun the ball over as much as everyone thinks he will. Gibbs is really messing things up. At this point in the season Campbell should now be starting. That is how you build a young QB (i.e. Eli Manning.....look at the Giants now) BUt gibbs is being stubborn. We will have to start campbell soon but when we do it will just be another "rebuilding" year.

No, I don't. I'm just saying that if Gibbs said "He will not tolerate turnovers"(which is actually something I never heard. I'm just trusting the thread starter.), then he's being hypocritical by still starting brunell.

Ok... So then we put Campbell in and he turns the ball over, what do we do?

We can't put anyone else in, since they all turn the ball over... Do we go to Tupa and hope he's healed? Sign a QB off the wire?

No. You don't bench someone for every mistake they make. The fact is, Joe felt Ramsey was prone to turnovers and although Brunell does turn the ball over he gives the team a better chance to win. I'm not quite sure why this is so hard to understand...

GREAT post man!!! But....Gibbs has to play Brunell because how could he otherwise justify losing Pierce/Smoot/ and soon to be Arrington with his lucrative/overpaid contract?? Brunell's a washed up QB....plain and simple. But....his contract dictates his playing. I also believe this is why Arrington is playing......too much money to be sitting on the bench. NOT that I agreed with him sitting on the bench AT ALL.

You lost me at Arrington. He is one of our best playmakers and it has been obvious. Why WOULDNT he be playing?

Ok... So then we put Campbell in and he turns the ball over, what do we do?

We can't put anyone else in, since they all turn the ball over... Do we go to Tupa and hope he's healed? Sign a QB off the wire?

No. You don't bench someone for every mistake they make. The fact is, Joe felt Ramsey was prone to turnovers and although Brunell does turn the ball over he gives the team a better chance to win. I'm not quite sure why this is so hard to understand...

Hey, I'm not making any claims about what should be done. I think Brunell was the best choice this year. Campbell needs to spend a year on the bench learning. Patrick Ramsey just doesn't have it. I think Gibbs has done the best thing for the team, but I think that his words have been hypocritical at times.

Case-in-point - Gibbs spends entire offseason saying "Ramsey's my guy. He's the starter" Ramset starts first game, and doesn't play great, but does nothing worthy of losing the starting job. Ramsey gets hit, but is ready to play again later in the game, he is kept out supposedly as a precautionary measure. Brunell plays and does nothing to win starting job. Ramsey is benched and Brunell starts for the rest of the season.

I didn't call gibbs a complete hypocrite, just in this situation. Brunell fumbles because he is an idiot. Ramsey woud commit turnovers because he hasn;t gotten a lot of playing time. Ramsey has yet to play a full NFL season. If gibbs had stuck with Ramsey from the start, then Ramsey would probably not trun the ball over as much as everyone thinks he will. Gibbs is really messing things up. At this point in the season Campbell should now be starting. That is how you build a young QB (i.e. Eli Manning.....look at the Giants now) BUt gibbs is being stubborn. We will have to start campbell soon but when we do it will just be another "rebuilding" year.

All of your theories are hypothetical and situational. Case in point Ramsey may have twice the number of INT's then Brunell, you can't suggest he might have less or more, you can guess but I could also guess Betts would be a better full time RB then CP. Eli had the pedigree coming out of College to start right away Campbell doesn't, there is a world of difference between #1 overall and #25. We have two guys ahead of Campbell that can still play NFL caliber football, Eli had a TO pron Kurt Warner and nobody else, there is a big difference. Also when Eli took over when the Gnats were out of the playoff picture, we are still alive, again big difference.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

You lost me at Arrington. He is one of our best playmakers and it has been obvious. Why WOULDNT he be playing?

Besides the 6 big TFL's, 4 of which came against the lowly Niners, what has he done to prove he's a play maker? No sacks, no forced TO's, no recoveries, yet he still gets a free pass by some, not to turn this into a Lavar debate but he is over hyped and overpaid.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

For those of you who think Gibbs puts the players on the field who give us the best chance to win, I give you: Robert Royal and Derrick Frost. These 2 players have cost us DEARLY the past 3 weeks, both contributing more than their fair share to these losses. Royal has dropped 10 PASSES over the past 3 weeks, and has been absolutely HIDEOUS in pass protection. It's not a 1-game thing with him, he clearly isn't the best player at his position on this team. Frost, well all he's done is come up with his worst punts of the game when we need him the most. His weak 25-yard punts the past 3 weeks have preceded late scoring drives by all 3 opponents.

So don't give me the company line that Gibbs is going with players who give us the best chance to win...

Portis has fumbled 3 times all season. I do not agree with that part. As for the part about Brunell, I will give you a little bit of credit in the sense that a few of those were his fault, but that's all. I credit atleast 4 of those 7 fumbles to the O-line because he was hit from his backside. Also, you'll see more QB's fumble than you will return-men, so the fact that Brown fumbled I think 2 or 3 times in such a short period of time was a BIG deal.

Archived