Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vh1 Classic, 80's music and bad videos.

Spaceman Spiff

Anyone have this channel on Directtv? It's channel 337.

I stumbled across it today, i really wasn't aware I had it. I was horrorfied by the videos that they're playing. At one time these were considered cool?

The funniest one was by a band named "Night Ranger". They were standing on railroad tracks and lip syncing horribly. They had mullets that'd make canadian hockey players proud.

nightranger.jpg

Thats the keyboardist on the bottom row in the middle. You can tell he dresses up as bad cop and waits for his boyfriend to come home.

Next up was this duo called "Sly Fox"

slyfox_staytrue_45ps.jpg

Thats the only picture of them I could find. And maybe thats a good thing.

The music was the soundtrack to a seizure.

Next up was this band called "XYZ"

xyz.jpg

Do I really have to say anything here? How appropriate is it that they're named XYZ...last in the alphabet, last in the gene pool and...LAST IN THE MUSIC CHARTS! How these guys could have taken themselves so seriously while belting out the worst power ballad I've ever heard is beyond me.

All this 80's stuff made me want to put on my members only jacket, open my shirt collar so I could have my chest hair stick out, snort a monster rail of cocaine before I sped off the road in my IROC-Z blasting horrible guitar solos. But then I came to my senses.

Sorry, just thought I'd share. Anyone looking for high comedy (no pun intended) check out vh1 classic. It's so funny looking back on what was considered cool 20 years ago.

Anyone looking for high comedy (no pun intended) check out vh1 classic. It's so funny looking back on what was considered cool 20 years ago.

Your right. I grew up in the 80's, and I have to admit that a lot of what passed as cool and hip back in the day, is now hilariously bad. Check out "This is Spinal Tap." It's a parody of a lot of the musical acts of the day.

but make no mistake.

In 2025, the kids then will look back at the chart toppers in 2005 and think the same thing. Each generation thinks the previous one was silly. I'm hoping that future generations see today's music for what it is...generic, corporate, dreck. Don't think for a second that all this music about thug life, ho's, and da club is going to be popular forever. First off, it's getting BORING. How many times can you recycle the same beat? Recycle the same lyrics? Recycle the same themes?

I hope popular music will return back to something where experimentation. (for example: the Beatles Sgt. Peppers, and The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds) are encouraged. The only way to do that, is to get the music out of the hands of the "industry." I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Your right. I grew up in the 80's, and I have to admit that a lot of what passed as cool and hip back in the day, is now hilariously bad. Check out "This is Spinal Tap." It's a parody of a lot of the musical acts of the day.

but make no mistake.

In 2025, the kids then will look back at the chart toppers in 2005 and think the same thing. Each generation thinks the previous one was silly. I'm hoping that future generations see today's music for what it is...generic, corporate, dreck. Don't think for a second that all this music about thug life, ho's, and da club is going to be popular forever. First off, it's getting BORING. How many times can you recycle the same beat? Recycle the same lyrics? Recycle the same themes?

I hope popular music will return back to something where experimentation. (for example: the Beatles Sgt. Peppers, and The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds) are encouraged. The only way to do that, is to get the music out of the hands of the "industry." I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I totally agree. I know a bunch of music from today is going to be looked at and laughed at.

Wow... I actually had forgotten about XYZ. Thanks... I don't even know if brillo can scrub that from my brain again... :laugh:

Ballad? Must have been "What Keeps Me Loving You."

I feel dumber just for knowing that.

The reason I remember was it was late '89/early '90 when that album came out. I heard that song on 98 Rock when I was 17 coming back from my Cousin's wedding in Jersey.

SPiff. You have seriously offended me and my entire generation. I am considering using the "report this post" feature to get you and your 80's hating attitude removed from the board;)

:laugh: :laugh:

You do that! seeing as your entire generation has offended me with the crap you call music. Muzak is more like it :)

-WallyVon

Jk jk

Then there are old punks like me who say almost everything since 1993 sucks... :laugh:

Well, only because it does. ;)

Actually, I'd say the stuff from 1990-1993 sucked worse. That whole Seattle/Grundge garbage was what got me to turn off the radio and listen to my old albums. By the time it was over I was too old and set in my ways to pick up on the current popular music.

Well, only because it does. :)

Actually, I'd say the stuff from 1990-1993 sucked worse. That whole Seattle/Grundge garbage was what got me to turn off the radio and listen to my old albums. By the time it was over I was too old and set in my ways to pick up on the current popular music.

Grunge was the one era of music I just didn't get. I get my Dad's music. I get my Grandparent's music. I obviously get mine. I just couldn't relate to it. It gets worse from there. Laura and I turned on MTV last night and said "I don't even know who any of these people are," yet kids go nuts over them.

Computers... they pay my bills, but they have destroyed the arts by making stars out of the most mediocre shower singers.

Grunge was the one era of music I just didn't get. I get my Dad's music. I get my Grandparent's music. I obviously get mine. I just couldn't relate to it. It gets worse from there. Laura and I turned on MTV last night and said "I don't even know who any of these people are," yet kids go nuts over them.

Computers... they pay my bills, but they have destroyed the arts by making stars out of the most mediocre shower singers.

Same here, I can get into some oldies and big band music, but I never understood grunge or heavy metal. Just not my cup of tea. People look at me and can't believe I listen to old country music. I guess I am just not for the hangbanging and loud speakers thing.

Then there are old punks like me who say almost everything since 1993 sucks... :laugh:

Well, Rock-wise things pretty much have sucked since 1993. Things have been looking up though lately. Even though I got panned for it in one of my "check out this group" threads, ( :laugh: ) I really like the new Nickelback c.d. Alterbridge, Shinedown, Silvertide, and Avenged Sevenfold are some new groups that I like.

The flag bearer grunge albums were great. I still listen to "Ten" often. I don't think that "Nevermind" aged as well. Soundgarden's "Badmatorfinger" and "Superunknown" are often over looked nowadays, but they are both right there with Nevermind and Ten.

I grew up when 80's hair metal was in it's prime. I remember when a friend of mine in 6th grade told me to check out "Look what the Cat dragged in" by the hair band that NOW everybody loves to hate...Poison. :laugh: Now I look at the cover of that album, and I just see a bunch of guys who looked like 2nd rate drag queens, and were 2nd rate musicians at best. How can you not love "Nothin' but a good time," and "Every Rose has it's Thorn" though. :laugh: People today that don't remember the time though, don't realize just how popular "Hair Metal" was in it's day...and then that all came to a CRASHING halt as the video for "Smells like Teen Spirit" started showing up on M.T.V. It's amazing how quickly things can change. I remember that almost overnight bands like Poison who had thousands of screaming fans at their shows, and sold millions of records, became blacklisted. People who were at their shows one week, were laughing at them the next. I doubt there was ever a quicker shifting of the gears in popular music. The best music of the genre still holds up though. I still crank "Slippery when Wet," "Hysteria" and Skid Row's debut every once in a while, and Whitesnake's "Whitesnake" and G n R's "Appetite for Destruction" are both timeless. It wasn't all bad. :)

Archived