Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dont Blame The Playcalling, Blame The Players

jerrarde

Dont you dare blame the playcalling. On third down, Robert "Not" Royal dropped a wide open catch that would've gave us the first and kept the drive moving. Don't blame Gibbs for the playcalling down in FG range after the late INT. If Rabach would've kept his hands to himself, we would be 6-5 instead of 5-6.

I am tired of seeing threads about the conservative Playcalling by Gibbs. It may be conservative, but there were plays for us to make, and the players did'nt do it.

Plays dont win the game, players do. :mad:

Dont you dare blame the playcalling. On third down, Robert "Not" Royal dropped a wide open catch that would've gave us the first and kept the drive moving. Don't blame Gibbs for the playcalling down in FG range after the late INT. If Rabach would've kept his hands to himself, we would be 6-5 instead of 5-6.

I am tired of seeing threads about the conservative Playcalling by Gibbs. It may be conservative, but there were plays for us to make, and the players did'nt do it.

Well let's see if players want to win games they need good plays to do it. Before that Rabach idiot play, our conservative offense gave LT plenty of time to tie the game instead of putting it away. You can't sit on a 1 TD lead anymore.

When a single player makes a dumb play and costs us the game, it's the players fault.

When the same scenerio repeats itself over and over again all season long. When specific units under perform all season long. When a trend that is system wide starts to show itself.....you look at the coaches.

You see it differently and that's fine. But I can't see an offensive line that has been bad all year and not look at Buges. I can't see a running game that runs a cut back runner into a pile all year long and not look at the offensive coaches. I can't see a defensive line that was not improved and has given up big runs all year and not look at Blache.

And I can't ignore the change from deep/medium routes on scoring drives, to short passes and runs of the gut when we have the lead and not see the play calling as a problem.

Sorry.

The playcalling isn't geared to the good players we have strengths. Will Portis be able to run outside on a consistent basis instead of up the middle for 2 yards? Can someone please throw Chris Cooley the ball, instead of Robert Royal? Go down field once instead of the 2 runs and then a pass, followed by a 30 yard punt.

Sorry, but calling a run on 2nd and 14 when you know you needed about 10 yards for a decent try at a field goal, against the #1 running defense, and knowing if the running play failed, that your opponent KNEW you needed to pass on 3rd down, but doing it anyways, it idiotic.

Sorry, but that's square on the shoulders of Gibbs.

Jason

I just wish on 3rd and 14 from the 35 We would have ran Portis right up the middle. San Diego had 0 timeouts and there was 40 seconds left. Run it up the gut on 3rd and long and 9 out of 10 times we should get 3+ yards especially since I dont' think we ran on 3rd down once the whole game. I really would prefer a 49 yard field goal try for the win with 4 seconds left as opposed to a 53 yarder with 40 seconds left. That gave San Diego great field position. True we stopped them, but still 3 yards would of been huge in the field goal attempt IMO.

In many cases, I'd agree with you.

But not today.

Let's go back to the Hall FG miss series shall we.

The D does their part and gives us the ball.

Now Raubach does hold......but instead of trying to get those yards back with some pass play, what do we do?

RUN THE BALL!!!! On the side where Portis wasn't getting yards (up the middle and to the left). That is bad play calling. Where was the 5 yd. routes that we were running on 3rd and 8 or more then?

Plus, I've noticed it and maybe many of you here have as well.

We are playing NOT to lose........ (run, run, short pass for minimal gain....punt)

Not playing to win.

And that is how you lose games.

I put that on coach's shoulders also with the penalties and failure to execute plays (ie. poor run blocking).

So as much as I respect the O coaches.....they should take significant blame for today's loss.

I just wish on 3rd and 14 from the 35 We would have ran Portis right up the middle. San Diego had 0 timeouts and there was 40 seconds left. Run it up the gut on 3rd and long and 9 out of 10 times we should get 3+ yards especially since I dont' think we ran on 3rd down once the whole game. I really would prefer a 49 yard field goal try for the win with 4 seconds left as opposed to a 53 yarder with 40 seconds left. That gave San Diego great field position. True we stopped them, but still 3 yards would of been huge in the field goal attempt IMO.

Yeah, I was thinking about it later, and I would have done the opposite of Gibbs, throwing on 2nd down, and running on 3rd down.

As for running on 3rd down, we did when it was 3rd and short. That's about it.

Jason

Hey, I'm with you up to a point. I think that players need to perform, period. Robert Royal did NOT get it done today at all. He blocked well, but when it came to receiving, the man made Antonio Brown look like Jerry Rice.

Still, though, the conservative playcalling sealed this coffin before the 4th quarter even began. This has been the case all d%&$ season, with the exception of the 49er game. Pitiful.

I believe Gibbs needs to be less conservative, especially when there is 6 minutes on the clock and all you do is run Portis into other Chargers and let Brunell throw a horrible lateral or incompleted pass. But the Defense set us up great after 3 interceptions, and what did the offense do with it? Nothing, except match the defensive turnovers with yet, another offensive penalty! Thus negating the exceptional defense, just like last year.

But fire Gibbs? Preposterous. Does anyone realize that the teams we have lost to have been beaten by teams we have beaten??

Seattle--beat the Giants (and the Cowboys :) )

Dallas--beat the Giants

San Francisco--beat the Buccaneers

Philadelphia--beat the Chargers, the Chiefs and the Raiders

Chicago--beat the Buccaneers

This is an awesome team in the building. Talented, character players who have performed in close, nail-biting games with heart 10 out of 11. We have a diamond in the rough, Jason Campbell, and the diamond that burst out of the rough-Carlos Rogers. And guess who picked them? HOFer Joe Gibbs.

In Gibbs I trust.

Archived