Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Bugel Vs. Kim Helton

Hooper

From Warpath --

"The Redskins are on pace for 42 sacks this season, which would give them 80 in Joe Gibbs' first two years. That's one less than they surrendered in Steve Spurrier's two years."

Unbelievable. And that's with the Skins max-protecting every other down.

Yeah, that is a bad number, but look at this way, how many sacks have we given up because of great coverage. Because we only send out 3 wr most of the time, alot of times the recievers are not open, which cause the qb to hold on to the ball longer than he wants. Thats how I look at it.

Yeah, that is a bad number, but look at this way, how many sacks have we given up because of great coverage. Because we only send out 3 wr most of the time, alot of times the recievers are not open, which cause the qb to hold on to the ball longer than he wants. Thats how I look at it.

I disagree. I can only think of one or two times Brunell was sacked because of coverage. He either runs or throws it away.

And we threw ALOT more under Spurrier. Whichs means we should give up more sacks in that system.

So the line is doing worse? I mean if we are doing a lot of max protect and are still giving up the same number of sacks as we did when we were not....then this line is worse.

Can someone check the stats? This is just too hard to believe.

Destino,

Our sack total for 2002 was 38. We had 43 in 2003, 38 last year and we are on a pace for 42 this year (26 in the ten games so far).

The stats in the original post are correct.

I don't know for certain, but what it looks like to me many times is that the blocking schemes are off. Instead of seeing a player get beat by a defender, you see a defender coming free, totally ublocked, meaning the scheme did not have anybody assigned to him (like the hit that gave Gibbs his excuse to kneecap Ramsey). I don't know which coach is responsible for designing the blocking schemes, but that's where I would direct my scrutiny first. It looks a lot like a case of trying to use what worked in years past against defenses that are doing things differently. I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

Archived