Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Bugel Vs. Kim Helton

Hooper

Just remember everything works together.

If a D does not have to concern itself with the run, the D-lineman can stunt and give up gaps and they can send more linebackers.

If you don't have a good short timing routes the linebackers are not concerned and the corners are not concerned. These have to be very quick hitting short routes. The flats passes to Cooley do not really count...they help a little but take to long to develop.

I just don't think it is all on the players. Sack numbers only tell one part of the story. If D-lineman are not concerned about the run...they can blow up and by many of todays O-line.

That is pretty dreadful....Players not getting the job none

Indeed. I was afraid it would turn out to be the talent of the o-line and not the schemes for TEN STRAIGHT YEARS. I still say this o-line is much better at protecting the QB though. Brunell helps them out by moving further up into or rolling out of the pocket. ramsey had alot of trouble doing that. If Jason Campbell has Ramsey's arm and the legs of a younger Brunell, we got some good seasons coming. NOT that I've given up on Mark. The man's a gem.

The # of sacks per game is shaping up to be about the same but I wonder how the numbers would compare looking at knockdowns and hurries back then? It just seems like Ramsey was getting killed under Spurrier compared to the last 1 1/2 under Gibbs.

The O line definitely needs to dominate on Sunday to keep the Charger Offense off the field.

you can also throw in that SOS started a rookie qb.

I complained back then that part of the problem the offense didn't work was because of the line. There were wr's running wide open in that offense, but we couldn't block for nothing. Same players same problems, and with max protection. It was not heltons fault... nor is it bugels fault... the players are a joke. esp. the tackles

Brian Mitchell said it all last week on Comcast. "There are about 4 or 5 players on this team going all out and giving that something extra. The rest are collecting a paycheck nothing more". He is right to the T. Stop dreaming in front of the TV every weekend. It is not going to happen this year even with Joe at the controls. We dont have the commitment from the players. from enough of the players. B Mitch is very Right.

It's kind of hard to believe based on Aikman's comments on the TB game this year versus his typical Spurrier game. It seemed everytime Ramsey was sacked, Spurrier was committing a felony according to Aikman. But then again, Aikman was pampered with the Boys when Norv was there: they never called QB sneaks, not even for a yard to get a first down.

Spurrier's offenses often look ugly in the backfield but are a thing of beauty downfield. Even when his offense clicked at UF, there was often regular pressure on the QB.

You also have to factor in the Portis v.s. Trung factor. The Skins running game scared few his second year.

I personally have never been a big fan of Jansen. I thought his criticism of Spurrier his second year was classless. He needs to walk the walk first.

I was impressed though by Bugel's demeanor in handling the consulting role he had in Spurrier's second year. From what I heard, he was very professional about it.

JerseyGator,

Would you not say that had it succeeded and had Spurrier had the right personell his offense would have resemebled that of Martz in St. Louis? A high powered passing offense that had the distinction of not protecting the Quarterback? St. Louis when they're timing is right is dangerous when they have the horses, but they never were big on protecting the passer, just on giving the passer enough time to release the ball before the rushers get there. I think Spurrier is similar.

Archived