Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tomlinson vs. Portis

StevieInferior

So with all this trade talk with Portis (glad most of us are up on the salary cap rules) and how Tomlinson is a god. I thought that I would compare the two's production this year. So Tomilinson has a whopping 50 some yards rushing more than Portis on 18 more carries. SO Tomlinson must be such a bigger receiving threat than CP. Sure he has better numbers 31 for 286 yds vs 22 for 157. Now LT has scored 9 more TDs than CP and is obviously better on the goaline. I don't know enough about LT to talk to the extras like pass blocking....but I think most are in agreement that this is not a weakness in CP's game. But his numbers don't indicate that he is anymore (or less) of a game breaker than CP. Oh and fumbling...CP has lost 2 on three fumbles where LT has lost 1 on two fumbles. Not sure if I am saying that you all are too hard on CP or over-talking LT....but one thing is for sure...their actual production this year is not that different.

LT has been pulled out in a few games in which the Chargers were leading...Trust me, my fantasy team has noticed it...

LT gets alot more scoring opportunities...but what do you expect...the Chargers offense is more consistant and efficient plus marty is always going to run in the red zone.

I think LT's ellusiveness is what truely sets him apart...plus having the opposing defense having to focus on Gates too.

If we can get equal production out of Portis and LT I will be more than happy.

So with all this trade talk with Portis (glad most of us are up on the salary cap rules) and how Tomlinson is a god. I thought that I would compare the two's production this year. So Tomilinson has a whopping 50 some yards rushing more than Portis on 18 more carries. SO Tomlinson must be such a bigger receiving threat than CP. Sure he has better numbers 31 for 286 yds vs 22 for 157. Now LT has scored 9 more TDs than CP and is obviously better on the goaline. I don't know enough about LT to talk to the extras like pass blocking....but I think most are in agreement that this is not a weakness in CP's game. But his numbers don't indicate that he is anymore (or less) of a game breaker than CP. Oh and fumbling...CP has lost 2 on three fumbles where LT has lost 1 on two fumbles. Not sure if I am saying that you all are too hard on CP or over-talking LT....but one thing is for sure...their actual production this year is not that different.

:laugh: :laugh: :twitch: Oh, you're not joking.

Look at the touchdowns.

LT has 14(!) rushing TDs' date=' 2 receiving TDs, and 2(!) passing TDs.

Portis has 5 TDs, all rushing.

So, LT has nearly as many miscellaneous touchdowns as Portis has touchdowns.[/quote']

Everyone keeps blaming Portis for this. Compare the number of goaline opportunities LT has been given compared to Portis...it isn't his fault he doesn't have his TD's in the double-digits.

Everyone keeps blaming Portis for this. Compare the number of goaline opportunities LT has been given compared to Portis...it isn't his fault he doesn't have his TD's in the double-digits.

Seriously.

Brunell could have easily thrown the TDs he's thrown to Sellers and Cooley to Portis. And if our O line would learn how to push foward...who's knows how many TDs he'd have now.

If LT was our total offense, then I could see a 2000+ yds this year. We have so many offensive talents on our team it would not make sense to feed the ball to LT on every other play. As a matter of fact, opposing teams have focused so much on LT and Gates, they are forgetting about Drew Brees, his passing abilities to other players such as McCardell, Parker, Caldwell, etc… Furthermore, LT has stated he would rather take a Win over personal stats.

Who would not take LT over CP. I hate to say it, but LT has an advantage in my book if for nothing else other than the fact that he is more of a threat catching the ball out of the back field. He also is bigger (lbs), Isn't he? With that said however each is a product of their respected system.

I just feel bad for Portis because he is not reaching his potential. Wouldn't have anyone else though. We can win with him....obviously if he holds on the &*()^*%&*^(*^&*^(&*^&*(^&*()^&*%%$$*&&*()_%^$#%^*&* FOOTBALL. :tantrum:

Seriously.

Brunell could have easily thrown the TDs he's thrown to Sellers and Cooley to Portis. And if our O line would learn how to push foward...who's knows how many TDs he'd have now.

Great Point Skins 24....The reason Sellers has his TD's this year is because on those plays the D was focused in on CP, and ignored Sellers.

It's not just numbers. LT really is the best back in the league. He has speed, power, elusiveness. He's also the most complete back in the league. Portis is a pretty good blocker, LT is very good. Numbers don't tell the whole story. You guys will see him this week, don't look at only the numbers, just watch how good he is. And look at to how much attention gets payed to him. You're going to see a good amount of PA, and chances are, it's going to work.

There is an element of truth in that, but Portis used to find the endzone in Denver. And he has ten TDs in two years with the Redskins. Something is wrong.

It might not be all Portis' fault, but the object of the game is to score points and LT does that better than anyone.

And LT scored a ton of TDs when the Chargers stunk. So, it doesn't matter what kind of team he has or what kind of system he is in...he scores a lot.

LT is given more opportunities because a. he gets his team to the goal line, and b. he consistently converts red-zone touches into TDs.

They are built differently as well. Portis is not built to be the work horse. I believe someone made a thread about this the other day. Tomlinson can finnish a drive. In Denver Portis didn't carry the entire load, now he is getting alot more carries. I think that plays into it. I would get Cartwright and Betts more involved in the game simply because it would make Portis more effective. In Denver, he would routinely turn 17 carry games into huge days. Betts is better than most teams 2nd RB. And Cartwright is a bowling ball.

This is insane.

Clinton is not on the LT level...and for one thing continually proves it with the fumbling. Tominsoln excels at all types of running..inside and out...the guy can plough for you, or he can evade. Lt's got the recieving down as well and probably is the best pass catching HB in the league.

Also LT's o-line has for years been average or worse, CP had the Denver line and now our own (whose talent is debatable, but run blocking wise should be considered average or better).

Would I take LT over Portis....umm yeah everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. But with all this talk of LT being Superman....he is just not putting out such dominating numbers as one would think. Heck...I would argue Alexander not only is putting together better numbers but being more of an impact to his team winning.

The TD issues is somehwhat of an opportunity thing. but the bottom line is Portis is not a goaline back.

This is insane.

Clinton is not on the LT level...and for one thing continually proves it with the fumbling. Tom

Lt's got the recieving down as well and probably is the best pass catching HB in the league.

So he continunually proves with with only one less fumble AND 11 more catches. All i am saying is that the numbers don't really show a huge difference between the two

LT is god Compare to Portis have you look @ LT Schedules... no SF on the Schedules Give Lt the ball 30 times tou will get close to 200yds rushing after 10 games he is as fresh as a rose...ready to explodes...they are not even working him hard ... one of the reason of the first 2 lost

Archived