Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tomlinson vs. Portis

StevieInferior

Look I am not disputing that LT is the best RB in the league, I simply don't know (but Bugel called him the best). But he is far from godlike and far from head over heels beter than Portis. Again he only has 50 some more yards than CP on only 18 more carries (that comes out to around THREE yards per carry). So I don't see what the Chargers are resting being that their carries are pretty similar. Simply said it just seems to me that looking at the numbers (rec. and and catches) they are pretty close in my book. And also Bugel said in his opinion...Portis is the best RB in the league WITHOUT the ball.

Not trying to disrespect LT...but it seems that noo many people are disrespecting Portis.

There is an element of truth in that' date=' but Portis used to find the endzone in Denver. And he has ten TDs in two years with the Redskins. Something is wrong.

It might not be all Portis' fault, but the object of the game is to score points and LT does that better than anyone.

And LT scored a ton of TDs when the Chargers stunk. So, it doesn't matter what kind of team he has or what kind of system he is in...he scores a lot.[/quote']

Portis found the endzone in Denver b/c that was their system. They let Plummer just not give the game away, while focusing on the run. Running it is the system in Denver. It's because we mix it up in the redzone between Sellers, Royal (more last year), Moss, Cooley, and Portis.

I live in San Diego, so I see the Chargers games everyweek. I don't care what numbers you have or throw at me. Their games are usually right after ours, and, going from our game to the Chargers game right after, there is no comparison. I watch the Chargers, and LT just rip through defenses, and I constantly think, "why can't Portis run like that." The dude is crazy good. His offensive line is no better than ours, LT will routinely get hit at or behind the line of scrimmage, and still manage to get 5-6 yards. He is so shifty but will still run with power. I'm really worried about playing them.

LT is better than Portis hands down...The numbers dont bear it out this yr but watch them both play and you'll see the difference...LT has more power, better speed, balance and vision, plus he is a better receiver b/c he can run WR pass routes and can get downfield...

I know everyone is thinking better speed? When is the last time Portis ran away from anybody?

Everyone keeps blaming Portis for this. Compare the number of goaline opportunities LT has been given compared to Portis...it isn't his fault he doesn't have his TD's in the double-digits.

hmm could it be because no one can stop LT inside the 10 yardline, where for some reason we can not get Portis in from the 1 :doh:

LT is on a different level then any other RB in the league.

I know everyone is thinking better speed? When is the last time Portis ran away from anybody?

you make a good point, Portis has been caught on all of his long runs this year, curious if the extra muscle has cost him some speed. The breakaway speed is just not there :(

So he continunually proves with with only one less fumble AND 11 more catches. All i am saying is that the numbers don't really show a huge difference between the two

Let's look at the numbers again after this past Sunday shall we?

Using in season stats is always dangerous, we all know what kind of player LT is...and he went out and proved it to us. Does anyone want to make a case now that Portis is in LT's league?

Yeah..thought not.

There is no comparison between Tomlinson and Portis. Tomlinson is the best back in the NFL and Portis is merely very good. In other words, with good blocking and a passing game, Portis can get his 100 plus yards and average 4.3 yards per carry.

Tomlinson doesn't need the same blocking, won't go down by first contact, and can carry a team on his back in the fourth quarter.

Look this thread is pointless. THis game flat out proves that that LT is the better back. He makes plays. He breaks one and takes it to the house. He protects the ball.

These are things that Portis has not done during his tenure here in DC. And he's only thrown for one TD. LT has 2 or 3 :D

I really don't think Portis is the back he believes he is. Especially this year's bulked up verison. He always looks like he is stumbling and falling down.

Archived