Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We can still win the NFC East

Redskins4ever

Do the Skins as a franchise look more and more like the Wizards......  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Skins as a franchise look more and more like the Wizards......

• Yes
    • No

With all due respect bubba, you've been saying something like this most of the season, and they just keep winning.

You say, "they should've lost that game", or "they haven't played anyone yet", but they just keep winning.

They've beaten the Chargers, they've beaten the Giants, they've beaten Philly twice (it's hard to sweep a division opponent). The easy teams they've played they beat, just like they were supposed to. Their losses have been against a desperate Oakland squad at Oakland, a Good Seattle team in Seattle, and us.

One of the things we used to point to proving that Dallas wasn't very good was that they lost to Oakland in Oakland. Well, we just got beat by them at FedEx.

The Cowboys had the Seattle game in hand (In Seattle) and just blew it at the end. They outplayed the Seahawks.

You know what happened against us. Whether out two scores were luck or not, they dominated us for all but the last 5 min.

And that's all of their losses. Just three.

I hope you're right and they fall apart in the last 6 games, but I just don't see it. They've been getting better as their young guys get experience and they've been playing solid football.

I don't think it's accurate to sit and say things are about to change for them. They play a physical, mistake free brand of football that will only serve them better as the season wears on and the weather becomes a factor.

It all goes back to when Parcells signed on with them. I knew right then that they were going to be a good football team eventually. I just thought that Gibbs would have us right there with them.

Parcells has been there one more year than Gibbs, so maybe by next year Gibbs will have us equal with Dallas.

I friggin hate Parcells. I hate Dallas. Right now, I just hate football. After starting 3-0, I never would have thought we'd be sitting at 5-5 after 10 games.

Pfffftttt. I'm done for tonight.

dude you like everyone else forgets the close wins the Cowboys lucked into.

They beat the Chargers without Gates, and got a huge call to keep their last scoring drive alive, they just barely beat San Fran, they catch a big break when jacobs fumbled the go ahead TD on the goal line, andbeat the Giants in OT despite the fact both teams had 4 turnovers each. And The last Philly game was a gift if ever there was one.

In fact they have only played two games where they won decidedly The first Eagles game (when they first started falling) and today against a bad Lions team. They are getting ready to play the part of their schedule we went 2-4 through.

The season is a marathon, 16 games it doesn't matter where the wins and losses come... at the end of the year they all add up.

Yes we lost to the Raiders, but that is one loss from 5-4, and before the loss we weren't so sure the Skins were out of it. If this team can get both the offense & defense playing together we will win . But that is a big IF

You guys are going to need one of the top 2 to completely fold, AND hope that you can stay ahead of Atlanta or Tampa for that final wild card spot. You already lose the tie breaker with Tampa.

Anything can happen in the NFL, but its hard to see a team that is 2-5 in their last 7 games not only getting to 10 wins, but having all that other stuff happen for them in the process

Are you smoking crack again?? I thought you quit. How in the hell do you think we can win this division?? We cannot beat the Raiders. We are going to be shellaced by the Chargers next week, and we are still going to win the division hey?? Would you like to put your money where your mouth is?? We still have the Giants, the Cowboys, the Eagles need I say anything else. Quit the halucanagens and get with it man.

the cowboys lost to the raiders also, and look where there at now.

dont count us out after a few bad games. this team still has a lot of talent and the season isnt over yet. We can still make a late season run, and possibly grab a wild card or win the division

You guys are going to need one of the top 2 to completely fold, AND hope that you can stay ahead of Atlanta or Tampa for that final wild card spot. You already lose the tie breaker with Tampa.

Anything can happen in the NFL, but its hard to see a team that is 2-5 in their last 7 games not only getting to 10 wins, but having all that other stuff happen for them in the process

happens every season for a team to get on a late roll. Buffalo last season, The Ravens their Superbowl year...etc..

it is not impossible.

And I have faith in Dallas & The Giants, I have said all season the last 6-8 games will expose them, and they haven't shown anything for me to change my opinion.

though I am not as confident about the Skins after today.

We cant stop gordon and the raiders, but lets mark LT and the chargers down as a win.

What do you mean? Jordan was held to 52 yards 27 carries....that's less than 2 yards per carry!!! Our problem (as of late) is against the pass!!!

We REALLY need Griffin back ASAP...it seems when he is on the field we at least exert some sort of pressure on the QB...which takes a lot of pressure of of our secondary....sheesh~

Guest sith lord
What do you mean? Jordan was held to 52 yards 27 carries....that's less than 2 yards per carry!!! Our problem (as of late) is against the pass!!!

We REALLY need Griffin back ASAP...it seems when he is on the field we at least exert some sort of pressure on the QB...which takes a lot of pressure of of our secondary....sheesh~

Were we really getting anymore pressure on the QB when Griffin was in there?

He should be back Sunday :fingersx:

you know If we somehow upset the Chargers Sunday, 99% of these gloomy Gus' will be back talking playoffs.

They beat the Chargers without Gates, and got a huge call to keep their last scoring drive alive, they just barely beat San Fran, they catch a big break when jacobs fumbled the go ahead TD on the goal line, andbeat the Giants in OT despite the fact both teams had 4 turnovers each. And The last Philly game was a gift if ever there was one.

In fact they have only played two games where they won decidedly The first Eagles game (when they first started falling) and today against a bad Lions team. They are getting ready to play the part of their schedule we went 2-4 through.

The season is a marathon, 16 games it doesn't matter where the wins and losses come... at the end of the year they all add up.

Yes we lost to the Raiders, but that is one loss from 5-4, and before the loss we weren't so sure the Skins were out of it. If this team can get both the offense & defense playing together we will win . But that is a big IF

Well bubba, you are right that the season isn't done. I'm just so depressed that it seems that way. There are scenarios where we could still pull it out and go to the playoffs as a wild card or even division winner.

That seems pretty far fetched to me right now though. I just keep thinking that we've lost 5 of our last seven. And look at who we beat. Everyone is beating both of those teams. We slaughtered the 49ers, but we just squeaked by the Eagles... and that's the only two wins we've had in almost two months of football. Certainly that can't be what you had in mind when we started 3-0.

And as far as discounting Dallas. You're forgeting their win against Arizona. They killed them. That gives them decisive wins in 3 of their games. Philly, Arizona and Detroit. They beat the snot out of all 3 of them.

In their 2nd game against the Eagles in Philly, they came out flat and played with little emotion and still was able to win in the end. It was a lot like what we did to them in week 2. That win worried me because they obviously were really off in that game, and their game plan was all wrong. It was like Philly knew what they were going to do before they did it. In those games, the un-emotional team usually gets smoked, particularly on Monday night when the home crowd is going nuts like it was in Philly. But because they played with few mistakes and penalties, they still came back and won the thing. That worried me more than their big win against Philly, or Arizona, or Detroit. By all accounts the score should've been something like the game where we came out flat against the Giants. But it wasn't. That says a lot about the cowboys and what kind of team Parcells has put together.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that win worried me more than any other win they've had this year. It worries me for the same reasons I loved our week 2 win against Dallas.

We have faultered after that though, so maybe they will too. Who knows, perhaps we'll close out strong and the Cowboys will fall on their faces, but I'm afraid it won't happen.

If we can't win the East, I hope NY does. I'd much rather see them do it than Dallas.

I hope Denver puts them in their place on Thursday and then NY beats their ass at the Meadowlands.

If Dallas beats Denver though, look out.

And I have faith in Dallas & The Giants, I have said all season the last 6-8 games will expose them

If the last 6-8 games have exposed 1 thing in this division, it isnt anything deragtory about the Giants or Cowboys

You guys got hyped for a 3-0 start in 3 games you could have easily lost. You've since lost 3-4 games you could have won. Thats the definition of mediocrity. You play close games every week because you arent good enough to get seperation on anybody. Your record is 5-5 and it couldnt be more appropriate for the talent level and the way youve played

This is a 2 team race. You are closer to last place right now then you are to 1st

Your memory seems to be failing you Bubba

There was no huge call on our last scoring drive to keep the drive alive there were 2 penalties on that drive 1 on us 1 on Chargers both 5 yard penaltys theirs gave us a 1st down yet we still drove the filed and scored.

Against the Giants Jacobs did not fumble the "go ahead" TD he fumbled a game tying TD with 1:18 left in the game if he would have scored we would have had time to get the game winning FG in regulation his fumbled actually benifitted them by giving us bad field position

We have won 3 games big not 2 like you said.

You can keep hoping for the collapse but its not coming. I heard you repeatedly say we would win 2 games in the second half of the season well we won those 2 in the first 2 games of the second half

If the last 6-8 games have exposed 1 thing in this division, it isnt anything deragtory about the Giants or Cowboys

You guys got hyped for a 3-0 start in 3 games you could have easily lost. You've since lost 3-4 games you could have won. Thats the definition of mediocrity. You play close games every week because you arent good enough to get seperation on anybody. Your record is 5-5 and it couldnt be more appropriate for the talent level and the way youve played

This is a 2 team race. You are closer to last place right now then you are to 1st

Ya know...I read your posts week in and week out and you constantly talk down to the Redskins like you're some sort of elitist. The fact of the matter is the Giants haven't looked all that well the past few weeks either. You hardly beat the Iggles who has no QB, no #1 WR, and no running game. Although, I would say that the Gnats are a better team than the Skins RIGHT NOW...you're Big Blue isn't too far from mediocrity either buddy....AND when the Blue comes to Fed Ex (if we're completely eliminated by then)...I hope we spoil your postseason.

I mean seriously...why would you come to this board and post your garbage after we've just suffered a tough loss? I mean...get a life, dude

:gaintsuck

We smoked Arizona too. :D

Your memory seems to be failing you Bubba

There was no huge call on our last scoring drive to keep the drive alive there were 2 penalties on that drive 1 on us 1 on Chargers both 5 yard penaltys theirs gave us a 1st down yet we still drove the filed and scored.

Against the Giants Jacobs did not fumble the "go ahead" TD he fumbled a game tying TD with 1:18 left in the game if he would have scored we would have had time to get the game winning FG in regulation his fumbled actually benifitted them by giving us bad field position

We have won 3 games big not 2 like you said.

You can keep hoping for the collapse but its not coming. I heard you repeatedly say we would win 2 games in the second half of the season well we won those 2 in the first 2 games of the second half

big differences, and I do remember a call aiding the last TD drive,

since the Gints scored again the point stays the same

I forgot the Cards... real impressive :yawnee:

talk to me in a few weeks, I doubt you'll be as ****y :laugh:

So after the game and venting a bit on the board, I went for a run, took a shower, had a nice dinner with my wife, cuddled in front of the TV and mostly got away from the game.

During that time, I took a lot of thought into the season so far, and into people's comments about the loss. The main thing that struck me was the comments that "the season is over".

If I'm not mistaken, there are six games left.

Yes, I know. The possibilities of going to the playoffs is awfully dim right now, and certainly, this team isn't deserving. Personally, I accepted the fact that this wasn't a playoff calibur team back when the lost to the Chiefs. Really, we all probably should have realised this from the beginning, when we found out that the pass rush wasn't going to magically appear this year. But, with the 3-0 start, we started believing this team could do more. Problem is, the weaknesses of this team was going to show up sooner or later, and now everyone knows.

So, what is the reaction to this? Some want to wail in despair. Others want to dismantle this team, trading every great player we got because we got to "rebuild". Neither reaction is correct.

I understand the frustration. We Skins fans don't take losing well. Those of us who were fans from the Gibbs era are used to winning. Those of us who suffered through Norv and on, are frustrated that it has taken so long to get back to the promised land. But, we must not lose faith because it hasn't happened right now.

Despite all the frustrations, this team has made progress this year. The offense has performed far beyond expectations. We removed players who didn't want to be a part of this, and in the end, we are better for it. Some might say the defense regressed, but I don't think it is that so much as other teams figured out what we were doing, and found away to counter that. It was hoped that if that happened, the injured talent that was comming back on defense this year would be enough to counter that. Unfortunatly, it wasn't.

So, what is left for this year?

• We are still alive for the playoffs. Yes, I know what I just said. At the same time, you still need to play the games, and you never know what might happen. So, let's not make any silly moves until the point were we are officially eliminated, like starting Campbell.
  • Pride. Sounds silly, but that does have importance in going into the offseason. Finishing strong can go a long way to feeling good about yourself. Remember, we are one win from tying last season. Getting 3 or 4 is a real possibility, and finishing at .500 or better would really help during the offseason.
  • Evaluation. The way we play down the stretch will determine the fate of many players. There are young guys that we should find out about. Considering the injuries, Taylor Jacobs will get an extra long tryout. I also think that we should take a look at Robert Johnson. It seems pretty obvious that Royal isn't the answer at TE, and it looks that at least physically, he fits what Gibbs usually likes at TE. Also, Rogers probably should be worked into the starting lineup as the season goes on, since more than likely, he's going to be starting next year. As for Campbell, I only see that making sense if we are completely out of it.

As for the state of this team, I like it. I think we are pretty close. What I think we need is a complement to Moss, a pass rusher (you read that right. I think Wynn is fine as the other end, but he needs someone stronger across from him.), some backups on both lines and maybe a corner or two to compete for spots. That isn't a whole lot. It gives me hope that we will be competitive for next year and beyond.

I know it is frustrating and that it is hard to have patience, but this staff does seem to know what they are doing. So, let's try to enjoy the rest of this season and hope for the future, because the hope is there.

Jason

Yeah, you know what, you're right. I've been a Redskins fan since I knew what football was (which was about 1995) and we have made the playoffs ONCE and had season where we had double digit wins ONCE. Since 11 of the last 12 seasons (dating back to 1993) have been absolute failures, let's just keep hoping for the future. What's eleven years of failure anyway? That's no big deal. Who cares. Let's just hope for the future. Good idea. We'll probably be hoping for the future 30 years from now too.

We smoked Arizona too. :D

We beat the everlivin' crap out of San Fran... what'd ya'll do to them?

Don't be too smug. Even though the fortunes of our two teams seem to be pointed in decidedly different directions, in the NFL you never know how things will end up.

big differences, and I do remember a call aiding the last TD drive,

since the Gints scored again the point stays the same

I forgot the Cards... real impressive :yawnee:

talk to me in a few weeks, I doubt you'll be as ****y :laugh:

Incidentally, I would think Roy Williams had something to do with Brandon Jacobs fumbling at the goaline in that game.

I think the reason "the Eagles started failing" as you put it, had a lot to do with the beating Dallas put on them that day, and that was with Terrell Owens in the lineup and healthy.

An Eagles team by the way, that the Redskins barely beat at FedEx without Owens in the lineup, and whose QB also gave the Redskins "a gift if there ever was one" with that interception thrown right at Ryan Clark on the final drive.

I feel awful too. Not just about these two losses, but I feel as if the season is slipping (if it hasn't already slipped) away.

But as always, the post-game reaction on the board is clouding some facts.

We are 5-5.

10-6 gives us approx. a 95% chance of making the playoffs.

At worst, most of us would at least like the final three games to mean SOMETHING other than pride.

So, in order to earn that playoff berth, we need to go 5-1.

But in order to make that Dallas game matter, we need to go 2-1 over the next three.

If we enter the Dallas game at 7-6, we'll at least give ourselves a chance. At least the Dallas game will matter. And if we beat Dallas, then at least the Giants game will matter. And if we beat the Giants...... you get my drift.

Chargers, Rams, Cardinals.

Win two of those = we at least can take a shot at the NFC East teams.

Now, REALISTICALLY speaking, I'm not sure any of this is all that probable. It's very hard to see us beating San Diego right now, and logic might dictate that we split the games with the Rams and Cards. In that case, we'd be 6-7, and we'd have only a very slim playoff life.

So two more losses and we're done for all intents and purposes.

But rather than look at the long view, let's focus on something we all want.

We all want that Dallas game to matter. In order for that to happen, we need to win 2 of the next 3, period. So even if we lose next week, our life support will still be flickering. And if we WIN next week, then we can pretty much be assured of getting to 7-6.

I am NOT being an apologist here. I am not defending the team in any way. I have NO confidence right now and I think we'll be 6-7 heading into the Dallas game with lots of "would coulda shoulda's" on our mind.

But I think it's important to know the facts before you slit your wrist.

The fact remains that we can still play games in mid-late December that matter.

I feel awful about the game today and I'm not feeling good about the team overall. But I've been dreaming for years about playing in meaningful late season divisional games, and I just can't let it go until it's over.

We beat the everlivin' crap out of San Fran... what'd ya'll do to them?

Don't be too smug. Even though the fortunes of our two teams seem to be pointed in decidedly different directions, in the NFL you never know how things will end up.

Not being smug at all.

But Bubba left out our 3rd "easy" victory.

Just pointing it out.

Nothing more, nothing less.

In fact, I think we were average at best today and were "lucky" to win "easy" as we did today.

Trust me, it wasnt "easy" at all.

Archived