Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My All-Time Redskins Starting Line-up!

stwasm

A friend of mine and I were discussing Redskins greats the other day, and we got on the subject of which ones would you want to see in your starting line-up. Well, I decided to put together a list of starting offensive and defensive players, and special teamers. I based my list on career stats with the team, longevity and success. Take a look below and please give me your comments and/or criticisms:

Offense

QB - Sammy Baugh

RB – Bobby Mitchell

FB – John Riggins

WR – Art Monk

WR – Charley Taylor

TE – Jerry Smith

LT – Jim Lachey

LG – Raleigh McKenzie

C – Jeff Bostic

RG – Russ Grimm

RT – Joe Jacoby

Defense

DE – Dexter Manley

DT – Dave Butz

DT – Diron Talbert

DE – Ron McDole

OLB – Wilbur Marshall

MLB – Sam Huff

OLB – Ken Harvey

CB – Darrell Green

S – Ken Houston

S – Brig Owens

CB – Pat Fisher

Special Teams

K – Mark Moseley

P – Mike Bragg

KR – Bobby Mitchell

KR – Mike Nelms

ST – Pete Wysocki

A friend of mine and I were discussing Redskins greats the other day, and we got on the subject of which ones would you want to see in your starting line-up. Well, I decided to put together a list of starting offensive and defensive players, and special teamers. I based my list on career stats with the team, longevity and success. Take a look below and please give me your comments and/or criticisms:

Offense

QB - Sammy Baugh

RB – Bobby Mitchell

FB – John Riggins

WR – Art Monk

WR – Charley Taylor

TE – Jerry Smith

LT – Jim Lachey

LG – Raleigh McKenzie

C – Jeff Bostic

RG – Russ Grimm

RT – Joe Jacoby

Defense

DE – Dexter Manley

DT – Dave Butz

DT – Diron Talbert

DE – Ron McDole

OLB – Wilbur Marshall

MLB – Sam Huff

OLB – Ken Harvey

CB – Darrell Green

S – Ken Houston

S – Brig Owens

CB – Pat Fisher

Special Teams

K – Mark Moseley

P – Mike Bragg

KR – Bobby Mitchell

KR – Mike Nelms

ST – Pete Wysocki

Good line up, but I would go with Charles Mann over Ron McDole. And maybe Joe Washington over Bobby Mitchell. But Joe Washington and Bobby Mitchell is a toss up, you can't go wrong with either one of those guys.

Good line up, but I would go with Charles Mann over Ron McDole. And maybe Joe Washington over Bobby Mitchell. But Joe Washington and Bobby Mitchell is a toss up, you can't go wrong with either one of those guys.

The only reason I went with McDole over Mann was because a LOT of his sacks came after teams started double-teaming Dexter Manley. Then, when the Skins cut Manley, no one could replace him. Thus, Mann wasn't as effective. Yes, I considered Joe Washington. But, Mitchell holds many more records and, I think, was a better player.

In a few years, you can ahead and replace one of those safetys with Sean Taylor.

I also think you've got to put Mark May in instead of Raleigh McKenzie. OL is all about working together. You gotta put that whole unit in together.

Oh, and you're forgetting one position.

Coach: The answers obvious, The Ol' ball coach, Steve...(Mr. Nostril returns and knocks out the cowboy fan posting under his name). Joe Gibbs!

What about Larry Brown?

I'd go with Cooley at TE, I also liked Alvin Walton at Safety

While Cooley has done a great job in his two years, I can't exactly put him in the same breath as Jerry Smith -- yet! When I think of safeties, I have to go with Ken Houston and others before coming to Alvin Walton.

Bobby Mitchell is in the HOF for a reason. He absolutely belongs on that list in both spots.

And Chris Hanburger should be on the list. Maybe we could run a 3-4. :)

Now how did I miss Chris Hanburger? He only holds the club record for most Pro Bowl appearances! :doh:

I agree with grimm, larry brown at rb mitchell at wr. mann at de, mclinton#53 ,mlb was tough as nails too. and sonny j is tough enough too, he isn't going to win any body beautiful contests but he he will woop ya in football.and then there was that safety who was here and wound up in minnisota

I don't know about sammy baugh. I mean I don't think that there is anyone old enough to have seen him play to know if he can compete in today's NFL. I mean for his time he was great and put up great numbers. I think that I would go with a more modern QB in Sonny or god dare I say it, Joe Theismann.

I don't know about sammy baugh. I mean I don't think that there is anyone old enough to have seen him play to know if he can compete in today's NFL. I mean for his time he was great and put up great numbers. I think that I would go with a more modern QB in Sonny or god dare I say it, Joe Theismann.

I've seen them all since 1945 (I was ten). Baugh was the franchise then and meant more to the Redskins in that era than any player since. Jurgensen was better as a pure passer, but Baugh was a far better athlete.

Theisman? Joe's a nice guy.

You can't compare players from different eras.

Sam Huff had his best years with the Giants. Chris Hanburger and Chuck Drazenovich were outstanding Skins LBs on average teams.

Gene Brito would play DE ahead of Charles Mann for me. Ron McDole was a run stopper, no threat as a pass rusher.

Archived