Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Questions.

Spaceman Spiff

I have a few questions.

I rarely start threads in here, but I need to get a few things off my chest.

First of all, let's not fool ourselves. The Skins lost the game for themselves today. I see a bunch of fans on here acting like pissed off high schoolers cause they got a D on a test and when their parents find out their excuse is "well, the test was poorly written" or "the teacher doesn't like me." Translated into football terms: "The refs screwed us" or "we got hosed."

Please.

Save it.

Who made Chris Simms look like his father?

Who gave up big play after big play?

Who let Joey Galloway, for one Sunday, become a big time NFL receiver again?

Who called three runs to Portis and got ultra conservative with the playcalling after we scored what should have been the game winning touchdown?

Who failed to adjust to the Tampa Bay offensive scheme?

Who jumped offsides on the extra point to set up the blown call?

Who turned it over and gave Ph - er, Chris Simms a short field?

It wasn't the refs.

Yeah, ok, the refs calls did hurt us, I am not disputing that. But it seems like a fairly sized portion of the fans on here want to jump up and down and blame the refs for this loss. Yes, it played a part, but should the game even have gotten that far? Are we that sorry of a football team that we as fans have to cry about how the refs screwed us?

Why do people like to ignore the bigger issues at hand?

This team is good enough and talented enough not to be able to win games outright so that if the refs calls go against us we shouldn't have to worry.

I'm just tired of reading all the excuse making that I see on here.

Ultimately the Redskins lost this game for themselves. Just admit it, put it behind us and lets get psyched for the Raiders.

I still gotta disagree with the criticism of Joe Gibbs three run calls...

Sure, I would have liked to have seen a PA pass, but man, if we had gotten a first down after those three rushes, the clock would have been wound low enough down that it would have been pretty much in the bag. No need to risk throwing an incompletion. However we didn't get the first and the decision looks bad because of it.

Understandable, sure, but a bit unfair.

Yeah, ok, the refs calls did hurt us, I am not disputing that.

Yes, all of those other points are valid, BUT - the ref's call did not just "hurt" us like all those other things - the refs call COST us the most important thing in the game, despite everything else - the W

That call gets called correctly - and we are 6-3. Deservedly so.

I still gotta disagree with the criticism of Joe Gibbs three run calls...

Sure, I would have liked to have seen a PA pass, but man, if we had gotten a first down after those three rushes, the clock would have been wound low enough down that it would have been pretty much in the bag. No need to risk throwing an incompletion. However we didn't get the first and the decision looks bad because of it.

Understandable, sure, but a bit unfair.

KDawg, come on bro. The Bucs knew it was coming, they had a ton of people in the box. Why not PA and hit Cooley, Koz, Royal, Sellers in the flat? Or why not try to bounce Portis outside?

If my cat(skins) gets run over by a car(ref),im not going to care about the other times it avoided said car..im jus gonna look at the fact that it is now a pancake.I really wish people would quit pretending that a ref's call didnt lose us the game and resorting to "we shoulda done this an that",TB played good and bad at times as did we,it was a tough fight to the end.They tried to win the game,we stopped them period

KDawg, come on bro. The Bucs knew it was coming, they had a ton of people in the box. Why not PA and hit Cooley, Koz, Royal, Sellers in the flat? Or why not try to bounce Portis outside?

Because who's to say that we would have hit them anyways?

Besides, I would have liked to have seen a PA pass. But I can't blame Coach for the plays he did call.

Portis outside is a whole nother story. I can't answer that one. But I think people are being a bit harsh on Gibbs here.

Because who's to say that we would have hit them anyways?

Besides, I would have liked to have seen a PA pass. But I can't blame Coach for the plays he did call.

Portis outside is a whole nother story. I can't answer that one. But I think people are being a bit harsh on Gibbs here.

Well running up the middle three times didn't do the trick. Audible out of it when they saw the Bucs prepping for it.

Not being harsh on Gibbs, just don't understand why he called essentialy the same play 3 times in a row.

Well running up the middle three times didn't do the trick. Audible out of it when they saw the Bucs prepping for it.

Not being harsh on Gibbs, just don't understand why he called essentialy the same play 3 times in a row.

That I can understand.

As a coach myself, I'm sort of protective of coaches. There's alot that goes on that goes into those play calls most of the time...

So putting myself in their shoes, I can see exactly why they called it the way that they did.

I like Gibbs' dedication to the run as much as the next guy. But the man needs to open his eyes and realize we have a VERY GOOD passing attack, and he needs to rely on it a bit more in crunch time. Brunell was what, 6 for 6 on third down attempts in the 2nd half? Gotta get on that A-train Joe... use what works! A first down there and the game is over.

I like Gibbs' dedication to the run as much as the next guy. But the man needs to open his eyes and realize we have a VERY GOOD passing attack, and he needs to rely on it a bit more in crunch time. Brunell was what, 6 for 6 on third down attempts in the 2nd half? Gotta get on that A-train Joe... use what works! A first down there and the game is over.

He DID use what works.

Our running game was fire today.

It just wasn't on those plays.

That I can understand.

As a coach myself, I'm sort of protective of coaches. There's alot that goes on that goes into those play calls most of the time...

So putting myself in their shoes, I can see exactly why they called it the way that they did.

And it didn't work... so step out of your confort zone and use what is working for this team... the pass!

That would be my constructive critisism of the day! :D

He DID use what works.

Our running game was fire today.

It just wasn't on those plays.

The run works when they aren't sure about what you are going to do... and especially when the pass attack is so good.

When they expect run, and you do it, you lose a big advantage.

Well, it seemed like Portis was running on them at will...doing pretty much whatever he wanted to do. So, in reality, three running plays in a row was not a bad call because we were averaging 5 or 6 yards a carry...Not to mention it runs the clock out.

Actually, Galloway has been stellar all season, not just against us (I have him on my fantasy team).

Good post, I agree. Just like the KC and Denver games, we could've won in the end, but we came up short.

After all that business, we were driving and only needed 20 yards to get into FG range.

I'll only dis-agree on what you said about Galloway. He's been doing the same thing all year, Griese or Simms.

The run works when they aren't sure about what you are going to do... and especially when the pass attack is so good.

When they expect run, and you do it, you lose a big advantage.

Again, had we gotten the first down, those play calls would have been a non issue to every 'Skins fan out there.

We didn't.

They knew the run was coming... Okay... We knew the pass was coming and Sheppard still got into the endzone.

Doesn't matter if they know something is coming as long as we execute. On those three runs, we didn't.

I have a few questions.

First of all, let's not fool ourselves. The Skins lost the game for themselves today. I see a bunch of fans on here acting like pissed off high schoolers cause they got a D on a test and when their parents find out their excuse is "well, the test was poorly written" or "the teacher doesn't like me." Translated into football terms: "The refs screwed us" or "we got hosed."

Please.

Save it.

Who called three runs to Portis and got ultra conservative with the playcalling after we scored what should have been the game winning touchdown?

It wasn't the refs.

Yeah, ok, the refs calls did hurt us, I am not disputing that. But it seems like a fairly sized portion of the fans on here want to jump up and down and blame the refs for this loss. Yes, it played a part, but should the game even have gotten that far? Are we that sorry of a football team that we as fans have to cry about how the refs screwed us?

This team is good enough and talented enough not to be able to win games outright so that if the refs calls go against us we shouldn't have to worry.

Ultimately the Redskins lost this game for themselves. Just admit it, put it behind us and lets get psyched for the Raiders.

I like the way you think....even though my computer monitor took a beating today.

I have a few questions.

Please.

Save it.

It wasn't the refs.

It's nice to read a sane posting on here all the while. :applause:

Again, had we gotten the first down, those play calls would have been a non issue to every 'Skins fan out there.

We didn't.

They knew the run was coming... Okay... We knew the pass was coming and Sheppard still got into the endzone.

Doesn't matter if they know something is coming as long as we execute. On those three runs, we didn't.

We agree to disagree.

Knowing the pass is coming is very different from knowing the run is coming. 3rd and 3 and you are running... everyone knows to stuff the line.

3rd and 3 and you pass... you can't just bunch at the line... you need to cover and cover all the options. Much more difficult.

This cannot be Gibb's fault. On the last Tampa Bay touchdown, there is no way any decent defensive coordinator, who had seen that there had been no pressure all game long would have left a "tosted" (Harris) corner one on one w/any body.

I love how people just see nothing but me blaming Gibbs.

I think Gibbs' conservative playcalling on the 2nd to last drive was only part of the problem.

I have a few questions.

Please.

Save it.

It wasn't the refs.

Nicely put.

Archived