Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Questions.

Spaceman Spiff

It is amazing that other teams in the league go to the line of scrimmage and see 8 or 9 guys in the box and call out of the run. The only time the play called that worked was when Portis bounced out for the TD. I'm so tired of seeing traps and counters against speedy defenses with 8 in the box.

And the officiating determined the outcome of the game. The push out call was terrible. The completion when the ball clearly hit the ground was terrible. Everybody else, even an ex-Cowboy, clearly sees that Alstott was down. We wouldn't have to gripe about the officiating if it was decent.

Go Skins!!!

I love how people just see nothing but me blaming Gibbs.

I think Gibbs' conservative playcalling on the 2nd to last drive was only part of the problem.

Not sure if part of that was directed at me or not..

But for the record, while I do think we got screwed with the call, there's nothing to complain about. Your entire post, minus the Gibbs portion, I agreed with... Hence the reason I said something about Gibbs.

MikeB,

The Buccaneers needed to get in the end zone on that pass play... We knew that they were going to throw the ball and probably throw it deep since they were getting much in the way of YAC. That play should have been defensed much better than it was, and we knew it was coming. That's my point.

I'll agree with you that we just need to agree to disagree and be done with it.

KDawg, come on bro. The Bucs knew it was coming, they had a ton of people in the box. Why not PA and hit Cooley, Koz, Royal, Sellers in the flat? Or why not try to bounce Portis outside?

We knew that on the 2pt conversion they were gonna run alstot up the gut too, and we couldn't stop him, They hadn't been able to stop portis all game, why would you go with any other call at that point. Giving the ball to portis was not a bad call. I personally think that we should have passed till we were farther down the field, but then I am not a NFL coach, I have seen what Gibbs did work time and again for team after team, and it is a sound strategy. You can't critisize the coach for that set of play calls, well you can but your claims are unfounded.

The run works when they aren't sure about what you are going to do... and especially when the pass attack is so good.

When they expect run, and you do it, you lose a big advantage.

Well, the TD drive in the 4th quarter used a lot of running by CP and Betts and everyone knew it was coming...and it kept coming.

I have no problem with Gibbs' play-calling at the end. If we can gain 3.3 ypc on those 3 plays, we win. I don't even have to check the stats to know that we averaged more than that for the game...and a lot of the time, they knew we were running. :2cents:

I still gotta disagree with the criticism of Joe Gibbs three run calls...

Sure, I would have liked to have seen a PA pass, but man, if we had gotten a first down after those three rushes, the clock would have been wound low enough down that it would have been pretty much in the bag. No need to risk throwing an incompletion. However we didn't get the first and the decision looks bad because of it.

Understandable, sure, but a bit unfair.

But that's like the third or fourth time this year when we've done that. It happened to work out against Dallas, Philly, and Seattle (I think), but they way their offense was shredding our D and the decent field position we were giving them by punting from there, I really thought we had to try for the 1st down. He always goes to this bread n butter counter-trey in that situation, and it never works. A bread-n-butter play is only a bread-n-butter play when it works most of the time.

Couple of things....

-If Cooley was healthy (I don't think he was in there at the end) we may have been more likely to pass if he was in there.

-If we were going to play action, we should have done it on 2nd down. On 3rd down they would have expected it.

-The way we were running all game we should have got it anyways. I was more mad that in the 2nd half Betts got too many carries, Portis was killing them, he should have had more carries in the 2nd half. Granted we scored basically every time we touched the ball, so what do i know. :)

I have a few questions.

I rarely start threads in here, but I need to get a few things off my chest.

First of all, let's not fool ourselves. The Skins lost the game for themselves today. I see a bunch of fans on here acting like pissed off high schoolers cause they got a D on a test and when their parents find out their excuse is "well, the test was poorly written" or "the teacher doesn't like me." Translated into football terms: "The refs screwed us" or "we got hosed."

Please.

Save it.

Who made Chris Simms look like his father?

Who gave up big play after big play?

Who let Joey Galloway, for one Sunday, become a big time NFL receiver again?

Who called three runs to Portis and got ultra conservative with the playcalling after we scored what should have been the game winning touchdown?

Who failed to adjust to the Tampa Bay offensive scheme?

Who jumped offsides on the extra point to set up the blown call?

Who turned it over and gave Ph - er, Chris Simms a short field?

It wasn't the refs.

Yeah, ok, the refs calls did hurt us, I am not disputing that. But it seems like a fairly sized portion of the fans on here want to jump up and down and blame the refs for this loss. Yes, it played a part, but should the game even have gotten that far? Are we that sorry of a football team that we as fans have to cry about how the refs screwed us?

Why do people like to ignore the bigger issues at hand?

This team is good enough and talented enough not to be able to win games outright so that if the refs calls go against us we shouldn't have to worry.

I'm just tired of reading all the excuse making that I see on here.

Ultimately the Redskins lost this game for themselves. Just admit it, put it behind us and lets get psyched for the Raiders.

I agree with 90% spiff, joining KDawg though in defending the run calls to CP. My brain tells me that these are things that our guys will look at in film and note. As usual, IMO, I think that while coaches rightfully try to take all the responsilibilty for losses (and fans are usually happy to oblige them) a lot of times it's player exectuion with their players beating ours. I love our players, but even the best of them, and certainly those who are not the best of them, are getting beat often, and by more than turnovers. One piece of it is we're still just in the middle of the second year of this system and this group of people. The other is that I don't believe we many really dominant players. Gibbs is right on the money, IMO, when he says we win as team and lose as a team. It's less of a cliche for us.

Archived