Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL needs a policy on this

killadingo

What's with refs in goal line situations who run up to the pile many seconds after a play is ended, when the player with the ball has obviously had a few milliseconds if not seconds to move the ball forward as any ball carrier would do. Why not signal no TD and use replay to prove the ball went in, when the honus is on the offense to indisputably cross the goal line, rather than the D to have to prove indisputably that they stopped a play that the ref honestly had no idea about until he runs up 2 seconds later. No TDs should be signalled by refs who have no idea.

What's with refs in goal line situations who run up to the pile many seconds after a play is ended, when the player with the ball has obviously had a few milliseconds if not seconds to move the ball forward as any ball carrier would do. Why not signal no TD and use replay to prove the ball went in, when the honus is on the offense to indisputably cross the goal line, rather than the D to have to prove indisputably that they stopped a play that the ref honestly had no idea about until he runs up 2 seconds later. No TDs should be signalled by refs who have no idea.

I have read multiple comments on this site, this is by far the most logical comment. GREAT POINT!!!

Yeah, the delay in the signals makes it pretty clear that the standard being used is "where's the ball when you dig your way down to it?"

I've also wanted a similar rule for fumble recoveries for years, too.

I've wanted it ever since I once saw a "everybody pile on the fumble" play where, after the play was over and player X comes out of the pile triumphantly waving the ball, Madden went back to the replay and showed that player X was the seventh guy on the pile.

The "whoever comes out of the pile with the ball" (and the "wherever the ball is when you dig down to it"), to me, should both have a mandatory review, every time, and in the case of the fumble pileon, I'd like a standard of "posession" like "if a player is touching the ball with both hands, or one hand and his chest, then that's posession and the play's over right then."

(One reason I'd like to see such a rule is that I keep expecting people to get hurt in those pileups.)

The refs should just make the correct call on the field in the first place.

Oh, I think everybody would agree with that.

Unfortunately, the fact that the replay doesn't show you the ball (people in the way), also means that the refs couldn't see it, either.

So the impression I get is that it's just become "traditional" to assume that wherever the ball is when the refs come trotting up to the pile, is where it was when he went down. (Unless somebody say him go down earlier.)

What ticks me is how the refs manipulate certain calls, to avoid a challenge, on an obvious blown call.

like the force out , and the down by contact... even though no whistle was blown, or taking an offical time out for something trivial to give a team a few extra seconds to throw the challenge flag before a play is run.

Alstots forward progress was clearly stopped, then when the whistle blew he lunged again as the defense relaxed is how it appeared live to me, I was screaming he didn't make it, and almost fainted when the ref raised his hands late., then after the replay, I knew he didn't make it, yet again.. the refs found away.

Hypocrits is all you Skins fans are. You do realize Betts clearly steps out of bounds on that kick off return, that didn't get noticed either. Don't blame the refs, blame yourselves.

We could sit here and wonder where the hold was when Dallas had the clinching first down on you guys. Or the non call on teh old on Ellis. But at the same time, you gotta realize, regardless of the officials, your team blew it.

Hypocrits is all you Skins fans are. You do realize Betts clearly steps out of bounds on that kick off return, that didn't get noticed either. Don't blame the refs, blame yourselves.

We could sit here and wonder where the hold was when Dallas had the clinching first down on you guys. Or the non call on teh old on Ellis. But at the same time, you gotta realize, regardless of the officials, your team blew it.

you are wrong.

Betts NEVER stepped out of bounds, he ran on his toes, and though it appears from above his heel stepped out, upon closer review, it is clears to see his heels never touched the grass to be out of bounds, just like lunging for the pylon , if the body is in the air out of bounds, it is still a TD, because you have to physically touch the grass in the out of bounds area... Betts never did, and the replay clearly showed that.

so again save the :bsflag:

and the Bucs blew it too they had a 21-13 lead. The NFL set up replay to get calls correct, especially in close ball games... because it is THAT important. in a game that two points decided the outcome at the end, and the Skins did stop the RB, before scoring... doing what it takes to win in that situation, only to have the points awarded erroneously, TWICE.... yeah we can ***** at the refs..... and if it was your team, you'd be ****ing too.

What happens if the video replay isn't conclusive? You just guess?

The refs should just make the correct call on the field in the first place.

You go by human anatomy...it is physically impossible for the ball to be farther than Alstott's elbow in that particular situation.

The refs either:

A) are aliens, and can stretch the ball across the goalline when their elbow is in that position

B) are wusses, because they didn't want to overturn that call in front of the home crowd

C) are blind, because they couldn't see the obvious fact that Alstott was NOT IN THE ENDZONE

D) are paid-off, and got a big bonus for letting that call stand

E) are retards.

When you guys beat us on MNF, i ****ed about the refs for about a minute, and then I realized, ****in aye, our team gave it away just as much. You guys allowed TB to be in taht position. You let Simms beat you. Face it. Just like we faced the fact that we gave away that game on Monday Night earlier this year. Making excuses like this just makes you look classless.

When you guys beat us on MNF, i ****ed about the refs for about a minute, and then I realized, ****in aye, our team gave it away just as much. You guys allowed TB to be in taht position. You let Simms beat you. Face it. Just like we faced the fact that we gave away that game on Monday Night earlier this year. Making excuses like this just makes you look classless.

:wtf: the refs gave nothing to you in that Monday night game...Roy Williams and Aaron Glenn gave that game away. The refs had NOTHING to do with it. Stop being bitter.

Did you see the 2pt conversion play? If not, :stfu: If you did, the you have to agree that his elbow WAS DOWN before he crossed the plane. BULL****.

What ticks me is how the refs manipulate certain calls, to avoid a challenge, on an obvious blown call.

like the force out , and the down by contact... even though no whistle was blown, or taking an offical time out for something trivial to give a team a few extra seconds to throw the challenge flag before a play is run.

Alstots forward progress was clearly stopped, then when the whistle blew he lunged again as the defense relaxed is how it appeared live to me, I was screaming he didn't make it, and almost fainted when the ref raised his hands late., then after the replay, I knew he didn't make it, yet again.. the refs found away.

I've seen situations where I agree with you on that.

Things like ST knocking a completed pass loose a few weeks ago. Officials rule "incomplete, can't be reviewed".

For about 10 years, I've wanted the NFL to go to what I think of as an "electronic whistle". When the play's dead, the official pushes a button. Whenever one official pushes the button, all of the "whistles" go off.

The whistle should make some kind of mark that shows up on TV. (And on the instant replays.)

When the play's reviewed, the standard should be: If the ball gets recovered before the whistle blew, then it's a turnover. If, when the whistle blows, the ball's still lieing on the turf, then posession remains.

(Once that device goes into effect, I'd like for "late hit" to be reviewable, too. Some kind of "one step OK, two steps late hit" rule. I've seen too many late hit flags on plays where the whistle never blew, but the officials have ruled, in effect, that the defender should have known that the runner stepped out of bounds.)

only difference The REFS DIDN'T blow the call, your safety got burned.

Geez it not like people are just upset and blaming the refs for no reason... there call had the direct impact on the outcome of the game. The 2 points they awarded decided the game... HELLO

so save it :rolleyes:

Archived