Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Redskins safety Taylor expected to sit Sunday

JimmiJo

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5074510

Redskins safety Taylor expected to sit Sunday

Associated Press

Posted: 33 minutes ago

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor is likely to miss Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because of a sprained ankle.

Taylor hurt the ankle in the victory over San Francisco three weeks ago, but he was able to play in a loss to the New York Giants and last week's win over Philadelphia. But, he has not practiced this week and on Friday was downgraded from probable to questionable.

"Unless he really starts feeling good, in all likelihood I wouldn't think he'd go this week," coach Joe Gibbs said.

Matt Bowen and Pierson Prioleau would be candidates to start in Taylor's absence in a secondary that has battled injuries all season. Safety Omar Stoutmire missed the Eagles game with a hamstring injury and doesn't appear ready to return. Cornerbacks Walt Harris and Carlos Rogers have also missed time with injuries.

The Redskins are also preparing to make do without their best run-stopper for the second straight week. Defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin did not practice this week because of a hip injury and remains listed as questionable.

We are still missing arguably the most important part of the defense... Griffin. We really need him back.

yea our D-Line is struggling w/out him in there.

BTW, didnt Gibbs say Omar was ok today? anyone know who is getting the start in Taylor's place?

If there's a game that we can safely sit Taylor, this is it. He needs to get healed up and ready for the rest of the season. I'd rather see him sit against the Bucs than against the Raiders or Chargers. Gates and Moss scare me alot more than Galloway and Chris Simms.

Griffin and Taylor can rest up this week. Our D-line has been playing well in griff's absence with players trying to make names for themselves like Nic Clemmons. I expect to see alot of 3-4 in this game once we stop the run. Carnell Williams is struggling and he's not as much of a threat as Lamont Jordan or LT coming up. Hopefully we can have both Taylor and Giff back in good health for those 2 games.

I think our reserves will play well. Prielou will probably be the starter but I expect to see Carlos Rogers on the field alot this game with Walt Harris and Shawn Springs. Thats a favorable package against the Bucs offense.

Without Taylor,and with Bowen, I wonder if the Skins plan on blitzing more this game, since Simms seems a bit shakey.. keep Taylor suited, just in case, but if the Skins can bother Simms by the blitz, might be good enough to win.. but Tampa's D is still very good, and is not to be underestimated(as I'm certain Gibbs has stressed all week)...

williams should have never had him out there in the 3rd quarter in the sf game

IMO he kept the starters in way to long in that game

after the first half he shoulda made it a bye week

I think he got hurt on his INT return. Was that in the 3rd or 4th qtr.?

Archived