Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thinking of buying a gun

tinob

Recently I discovered a shooting range right near my workplace, went there a few days ago and I loved it. Now, there is a gun show next weekend where I am going but I need to find out which is a good beginer gun to get. Please advice.

tinob...

what are your plans for the gun? target shooting only, or self defense as well?

The safest gun to have for home defense is, of course, a shotgun. And it is also the most intimidating... loading a cartridge with a pump-action slide will get ANYONE's attention. ;)

But if you want a handgun, you can't go wrong with a revolver. They are very safe and VERY dependable. But if you want a sportscar, get a semi-auto.

Guns are like cars... you'll have people touting all brands. The only advice I would give you, however, is to stay away from Saturday Night Special Brands... stick to reputable manufacturers i.e. Ruger, Colt, Browning, Glock, Sig, etc. Also, stick with a common ammunition, ESPECIALLY if you plan on target shooting. 9mm is a good choice... as is .22, but it won't do much for home defense.

And last but not least... be sure to take a gun safety course. Your local NRA should do it for free. Ask where you buy the gun... they should be able to tell you.

tinob...

what are your plans for the gun? target shooting only, or self defense as well?

The safest gun to have for home defense is, of course, a shotgun. And it is also the most intimidating... loading a cartridge with a pump-action slide will get ANYONE's attention. ;)

But if you want a handgun, you can't go wrong with a revolver. They are very safe and VERY dependable. But if you want a sportscar, get a semi-auto.

Guns are like cars... you'll have people touting all brands. The only advice I would give you, however, is to stay away from Saturday Night Special Brands... stick to reputable manufacturers i.e. Ruger, Colt, Browning, Glock, Sig, etc. Also, stick with a common ammunition, ESPECIALLY if you plan on target shooting. 9mm is a good choice... as is .22, but it won't do much for home defense.

And last but not least... be sure to take a gun safety course. Your local NRA should do it for free. Ask where you buy the gun... they should be able to tell you.

my main plan is just target practice. But yes ofcourse self defense is something that it will come in handly as well..

few people at work told me about revolvers as well, how they never jam and they are easy to maintain and such. I might consider that.

PS : Can you take shotguns @ the range?

my main plan is just target practice. But yes ofcourse self defense is something that it will come in handly as well..

few people at work told me about revolvers as well, how they never jam and they are easy to maintain and such. I might consider that.

Well, depends on the range. But mostly, no. :)

Your friends are correct about the revolver. Very safe, very reliable, and very easy to maintain. Most people/competitions use semi-autos for target practice though.

The rule of thumb is... the longer and thicker the barrell, the more accurate. Of course, this depends on the quality of the gun, etc. as well. But pretty good rule to stick by.

Ruger makes a good line of target pistols in the .22 variety... they are great for plinking at the range, and very cheap to fire. But once again, might not do a whole lot for you at home.

I believe there are a couple of places around where you can do some skeet shooting. I know I've been to one, I just can't remember the name. Skeet shooting is a blast (no pun intended).

A gun show isn't the best place to buy a gun as a beginner. Go to a reputable gun shop and get good advice before deciding.

I talked to this guy at work who goes to the range a lot and is into hunting, etc. He said he will go with me to the gunshow as the prices might be better there.. I have no idea myself.

A gun show is a great place to go to get educated about guns and to get your first one. There a lots of individual sellers there, but there are also many gun stores represented. So you can buy a gun with the same peace of mind as you would buying in a gun shop, but you don't have to travel all over town to see a variety of gun shops this way.

If you are going to get a .22 pistol, I recommend the Browning Buckmark for around $250-$280 -- I like it better than the Ruger. A Smith&Wesson or Taurus .357 revolver is a great option also. I recommend starting with the Buckmark, because you can get thousands of rounds of ammo for dirt cheap, which means you can go to the range often and practice without breaking the bank. Also, the lack of recoil will help you to learn the fundamentals of marksmanship without flinching. And despite what others might say, it CAN be used for self/home defense -- it just doesn't have the stopping power of other larger calibers. And since many times actually shooting the gun is not required in those situations when you have to use one, you still get the intimidation value of just having a gun at all. Trust me, a criminal will NOT look at the size of the hole at the end of the barrel and decide that it's small enough not to worry about.

Archived